It's Time (for new Truck Tires)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time (for new Truck Tires)

52,614 miles and the Michelin LT245/75R17 121/118R (118RE?) tires on my 2017 F-350 are down to 4/32". Time for new shoes before hitting the road.

Having never bought tires for a truck, are there any "gotchas" my learned fellow forum members can advise this truck-tire-buying-newbie?

I am going to get an alignment as there is obvious wear on the outside edge of the front passenger tire. (Camber is out? I think that's the right term.)

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard, you got >52000 miles on a set of Michelins pulling a trailer. Buy them again

Yes, a good alignment is a good thing and you might want to check your brakes at the same time. If there is a Discount Tires near you, they honor their warranties nation wide and do lifetime free balancing and rotations. They are also good folks who are good to their staff.
    2017 310GK

Comment

howson Howard, I've bought a few tires for my trucks over the years (average about 50K per set).

I've had good luck with Firestone Transforce and the Wrangler SRA that are on the new truck. Hot shot guys like the Duravis, but it has a very limited size availability. The 17" rims are the hardest ones to find good tires for as it's a step child in the auto industry for some reason.

Like Jeff stated, you have a good baseline based on what was there.

If you go Transforce they have a AT and HT. The AT is louder than the HT as its an all terrain tire also has load rating of 121 so the side walls are a bit stiffer.

https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/transforce-at#
      https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/transforce-ht/

You have to expand the tire detail and the size details to find the LT245/75R17's. I usually got 70K out of them on my 04 and 06. I think I have had 5 sets of the transforce tires. Swapped from the HT to the AT on my 2wd daily, hated the noise, went back to the HT.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm going to get the Michelins--have always had good experience with the brand on my vehicles.

The question was meant more towards service or inspection items I might not be aware of. For example, looking through my maintenance reminder spreadsheet I put together there's a "Severe Duty" interval for the front and rear transfer case fluid at 50K miles. Since the majority of the miles on this truck are when towing and/or hauling, I'm going to talk with the Service Advisor about it.
        Again, I apologize I wasn't clear in the first post--wasn't meant to ask "What's the best tire"...

Remember, I'm "one of those" that had no idea about "the sticker" and mistakenly just went by the brochure numbers for payload when I bought truck #1. After learning (on a forum similar to this) about how to accurately determine payload, I ended up with truck #2. Once bitten, twice shy! So now I try not to assume something seemingly straightforward as a tire purchase doesn't have some wrinkle I'm not aware of associated with a diesel dually.

JeffC -- there is a Discount Tire store in Pensacola (Florida), so I'll check them out. Thanks for the recommendation
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson

Hi Howard,

If your tires are worn out, your dampers (shocks & struts) are not far behind. If you are getting an alignment done anyway, why not replace these items as well? Bushings and ball joints should not need replacing, but should be carefully inspected. I am a firm believer in the OEM choices. The Ford engineers put more thought into matching damper tuning and tire selection to the rest of the suspension systems, than you might think. Unless you are trying to "fix" something, my advice would be to go with exactly what the chassis engineers chose in the first place.

Disclaimer: From a former chassis engineer . . . just not for Ford .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

howson Howard, With that being a 4wd (was not certain before), when they check the front alignment, have them inspect the trailing arm bushings, the panhard bar end joints ( not certain of what ford calls it), and all of the steering control arm linkages. Any play in any of those items leads to the famous FORD DEATH WOBBLE. I know someone who had it on 2 trucks. I'd skip the dealership doing the diff and transfer case services just because by the time they get through it will cost 3x more than the materials. (this is with me running Amsoil and their prices).

It's probably time to do a trans service also if it has not been done along with having them check all the U-joints. All of them are sealed, but again any play means replace now as they always fail when you least expect it (been there done that). Seen the lip seals on the ball joint cups fail and the joint was so bad there were no needles left in them. Took me 30 minutes per cup to get that one out.

Tire wear in those front ends is not always toe, caster, or camber. Have them inspect the ball joints, before doing the alignment.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I too have some outer edge of tire wear in front tires (Michelin Defenders) F350 SRW. I added Timbrens to replace factory bump stops last year and that did help to minimize outer tire wear. It usually happens after I spend 6 months on road towing. I suspect that when towing and going over bumps, front tires lift up and come down at an angle. The Timbrens did help to prevent front tire outer wear on this set. I do alignments twice a year my tires will get replaced before we head out again next summer. But thinking of getting the Michelin AT tires as we end up doing too many gravel and washboard roads exploring. My tires don’t last much. Will have them check ball joints which I thought was part of the WORKS service.

BTW had the transfer case and differential drained and refilled plus drain/refill and test cooling system at 60k miles. Will get transmission done when I get back to Florida in the winter. The dealer bill was steep so get ready for that shocker. My fuel filter gets changed out at 15k intervals. I do my own engine and cabin filter change. With being in New Mexico and Utah these past two months, that engine filter will get changed out sooner than what I typically have noted which is every 45k miles. The dust here is intense.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper
                I noted the 60K interval in the manual for the transfer cases--not sure why I had 50K on my spreadsheet.

For everything else I do the same as you. To keep it simple to track the fuel filters get R2 every other oil change--which works out to about 15K . I monitor what the truck is tracking using the ForScan software. For this trip I have over 65% oil life left so no need for any service prior to departure.

Comment

I tend to change my engine oil at 6k vs the recommended 7.5k. Why, modern DPF screws up oil with fuel dilution. I also upped the filter from the factory to a Donaldson. Oil and grease are the life of moving parts.

It never hurts to change the Xfer and trans oils sooner along with the rear diff. Oil does not wear out, but the additive package gets weak or used up. I do all my own fluid changes along with fuel filters. Most people wonder why, cost is the biggest factor, second it lets me monitor the condition of fluids. I do not trust some dealer that walks out to the waiting area with their little sample platter and tells you all the fluids need to be changed.

I need to pull the power steering and brake fluids out and top back off. Bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 use some type of semi stiff tube to reach down into the reservoir to pull out the old. Measure how much you pull, put that much back in. Will do brake fluid at next tire rotation so I can compress the rotors to get as much of the old fluid out as possible.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    52,614 miles and the Michelin LT245/75R17 121/118R (118RE?) tires on my 2017 F-350 are down to 4/32". Time for new shoes before hitting the road.

Having never bought tires for a truck, are there any "gotchas" my learned fellow forum members can advise this truck-tire-buying-newbie?

I am going to get an alignment as there is obvious wear on the outside edge of the front passenger tire. (Camber is out? I think that's the right term.)

Howard
                    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-a-t-2/p/35394 I have the LTX series on my 04 and love them. Discount tire has some good sales this weekend too.

Safe travels.
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      I do all my own fluid changes along with fuel filters. Most people wonder why, cost is the biggest factor, second it lets me monitor the condition of fluids. I do not trust some dealer that walks out to the waiting area with their little sample platter and tells you all the fluids need to be changed.
                      I agree about the tech showing you the oil sample on the plastic plate. But, with respect, if you are gauging the useful life of your oil based on color and how it feels on your finger, then you have literally no idea of how much useful life the oil has left. The days of looking at oil to judge condition expired around the same time as setting your points with a paper match.

Change your oil when and how it suits you, but unless you are sending a sample of your fluids and filter off to a lab for an oil analysis once in a while, you truly have no idea how the additives have broken down or if there are any metal particulates in the fluids.

If you are changing your fluids as often or more often than recommended, you are most likely safe unless something hand grenades in your engine or diff, but it is still a pure guess.
                      2017 310GK

Comment

Love it! We have the beginnings of an "oil thread" tangent--one of the all time, most post-producing topics EVER--on our GD forum.

If we keep it civil there's no problem at all.

Just the thought of my 6.7 "hand grenading" sent chills up my spine.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
                          I agree about the tech showing you the oil sample on the plastic plate. But, with respect, if you are gauging the useful life of your oil based on color and how it feels on your finger, then you have literally no idea of how much useful life the oil has left. The days of looking at oil to judge condition expired around the same time as setting your points with a paper match.

Change your oil when and how it suits you, but unless you are sending a sample of your fluids and filter off to a lab for an oil analysis once in a while, you truly have no idea how the additives have broken down or if there are any metal particulates in the fluids.

If you are changing your fluids as often or more often than recommended, you are most likely safe unless something hand grenades in your engine or diff, but it is still a pure guess.
                          Jeff,

This is indeed a good way of feeling comfortable with the change interval. The GM model looks at every perceivable condition such as short drive cycles, ambient temperature, load, fuel consumption, and much more. It was developed in the lab while taking an endless number of oil samples for analysis. The model counts every combustion event!

However, it never hurts to check to build confidence where all makers I'm sure has done something similar in setting up their model.

Jim

Comment

JeffC Jeff, I based my oil change intervals on samples from forum members whom I trust. EGR and DPF systems with regeneration cycles are known to be hard on oils with the extra soot in the engine along with the extra fuels used for regeneration.

As for the oil filter change, There was a very lengthy thread where one of the forum members did hours of research, spent 100's of dollars and reached out to many MFG of filters for information. Again, he is doing oil analysis on a regular interval. They have since came out with a new filter that fits the stock housing better with the extra filtration.

Most people do not realize that filtration increases in a filter as it gets used. Also increased filtration is a factor of fluid speed. I like the larger filter because it has more surface area to help reduce speed and pressure drop across the media.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Since this has gone on an oil tangent, is every 5k miles while towing too much? Typically when not towing (winter months in FL) I go every 7500 miles. I also just take it to Ford dealers until my engine warranty is over, don’t want Ford to have an excuse to deny coverage.
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                              X