It's Time (for new Truck Tires)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    Since this has gone on an oil tangent, is every 5k miles while towing too much? Typically when not towing (winter months in FL) I go every 7500 miles. I also just take it to Ford dealers until my engine warranty is over, don’t want Ford to have an excuse to deny coverage.
    Probably 90% of the miles on my truck are towing (2020 notwithstanding). I change when the computer shows me below 25%, which usually works out to about 7500 miles. I’ve sent a couple samples in and they always came back showing plenty of life left so I’m comfortable with this arrangement. I do the fuel filter every other oil change. Do them myself with Rotella 5w-40 and a Motorcraft filter. Haven’t done the other fluids yet, I’m at 47,000 miles so I’ll probably do them when I get back from this trip in a month or so.

I just checked and I’m at 30% life left, which it estimated at 2,900 miles. We’re in Teton, so maybe I’ll get it changed in Jackson while I’m out here. I had a similar situation in Florida during a long trip a couple years ago and had it done down there, couldn’t believe how pricy it was lol. Get spoiled doing it myself.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      JeffC Jeff, I based my oil change intervals on samples from forum members whom I trust. EGR and DPF systems with regeneration cycles are known to be hard on oils with the extra soot in the engine along with the extra fuels used for regeneration.

As for the oil filter change, There was a very lengthy thread where one of the forum members did hours of research, spent 100's of dollars and reached out to many MFG of filters for information. Again, he is doing oil analysis on a regular interval. They have since came out with a new filter that fits the stock housing better with the extra filtration.

Most people do not realize that filtration increases in a filter as it gets used. Also increased filtration is a factor of fluid speed. I like the larger filter because it has more surface area to help reduce speed and pressure drop across the media.
      Joseph,

As a retired GM development engineer, I can honestly state, nobody knows your truck better than GM. The amount of money spent in development is staggering.
      I've seen a rash of engine failures years ago where after an analysis, it was found to be tied to an aftermarket filter. So I always use the OEM products and oil in my truck. The oil life monitoring system was developed with a factory oil filter as well. Folks from GM, Ford and Ram would be best served to use OEM products from your specific maker. Not trying to start a debate just to share that companies spend a fortune on these products which are quantified under every perceivable condition. The aftermarket simply does not have the facilities or the funding.

Jim

Comment

I believe that if you got 50K out of a set of tires with your load you have done excellent. I have trusted Michelins for years and go to them when factory tires wear out. Certainly a thorough inspection of he suspension parts is in order. I have found that sometimes outside wear on the front passenger side tire with loads can be somewhat mitigated with about 2 pounds of additional air pressure in that tire. A friend of mine who had a tire store for 30 years had me start that after I took my truck to him with that same symptom on a set of tires he sold me. HIs position was that not only does the suspension tend to lift more with a load on bumps in the road thus causing tires to come down on the outer tread but that the camber in the road for drainage puts a constant strain on that tire regardless of alignment condition. HIs tip has improved tire wear for me since that time. Just a thought.

Dave
        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Beachcamper Not knowing the Powerstroke that well, 5-6K seems to be a safe range for all driving conditions if the manual states 7.5k. One thing to note is that you can change the oil filters too frequently.

If you are interested in knowing what's going on, get an oil sample kit from a lab like blackstone or oil analizers and start a base line (towing or not) and note the levels starting with heat number of miles after oil change, then pick an interval and test until you get results that tell you to change. Back up one or two intervals and that will be your change frequency as long as you stick with the same oil and filter (hopefully neither is changed by the MFG). Every few oil changes after that, pull an oil sample and test, if its out of baseline you have for changes, start testing again as this may be indication of impending issues.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Beachcamper Not knowing the Powerstroke that well, 5-6K seems to be a safe range for all driving conditions if the manual states 7.5k. One thing to note is that you can change the oil filters too frequently.

If you are interested in knowing what's going on, get an oil sample kit from a lab like blackstone or oil analizers and start a base line (towing or not) and note the levels starting with heat number of miles after oil change, then pick an interval and test until you get results that tell you to change. Back up one or two intervals and that will be your change frequency as long as you stick with the same oil and filter (hopefully neither is changed by the MFG). Every few oil changes after that, pull an oil sample and test, if its out of baseline you have for changes, start testing again as this may be indication of impending issues.
            https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I have used these folks in the past. FWIW you get the big picture of whats going on. When I get my new truck I will be using them again.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

flyfshrockies

I bought a digital tire depth gauge and have started a spreadsheet to track the tire depth (across each tire) every 5K miles. This way I'll be able to quantify any unusual wear. Note I'm using the mm measurement (Rob would approve?).

Thanks for the tip on the air pressure--I'll give that a try if the measurements show I need to change something.

Howard
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Depth.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	56026

Here's the baseline. I'm not trying for perfection with these measurements--it's more about tracking changes over time. (1 to 4 is the four grooves in the tire, outer to inner. So based on the picture that must be the Driver's Rear Outboard, groove 3 shown above.)

Name:	Baseline.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	56027
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Back to the original topic, got nothing but good things to say about the Michelin LTX that came stock on mine. I’m at 47,000 and the wear it great with almost all towing. I used to be a huge fan of the Good Year Silent Armor tire, it had incredible traction in snow even in 2WD, but production shifted and it’s not rated as good. I have a friend who is a tire distributor, when my last truck needed tires he recommended the a Hercules and it did well. I’ve since sold the truck so cannot comment on wear though. I think for this truck I’ll go back to the Michelin’s, they’re expensive but I’ve been really impressed with them.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  flyfshrockies

I bought a digital tire depth gauge and have started a spreadsheet to track the tire depth (across each tire) every 5K miles. This way I'll be able to quantify any unusual wear. Note I'm using the mm measurement (Rob would approve?).

Thanks for the tip on the air pressure--I'll give that a try if the measurements show I need to change something.

Howard

Here's the baseline. I'm not trying for perfection with these measurements--it's more about tracking changes over time. (1 to 4 is the four grooves in the tire, outer to inner. So based on the picture that must be the Driver's Rear Outboard, groove 3 shown above.)

Howard,

I really like the siping on the Michelin's which your pic shows to go to full depth. Many makers do not do this.

Jim

Comment

Since this has gone on an oil tangent, is every 5k miles while towing too much? Typically when not towing (winter months in FL) I go every 7500 miles. I also just take it to Ford dealers until my engine warranty is over, don’t want Ford to have an excuse to deny coverage.
                    Vivian,

You should be comfortable with the Ford oil life monitor. But to be comfortable you can have a sample of your oil checked for winter driving and again in the summer. Most likely you will find you can go further.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Jeff,

This is indeed a good way of feeling comfortable with the change interval. The GM model looks at every perceivable condition such as short drive cycles, ambient temperature, load, fuel consumption, and much more. It was developed in the lab while taking an endless number of oil samples for analysis. The model counts every combustion event!

However, it never hurts to check to build confidence where all makers I'm sure has done something similar in setting up their model.

Jim
                      Jim,

I wholeheartedly agree with letting the truck's computer do the analysis. I change my oil and filter when my truck tells me it is time. So far that has been about 7500 miles but once after a lot of hot and high towing in the AZ and CO mountains I got the notice at about 6K.

My comment was that how one's oil "looks" isn't a useful barometer of oil life.
                      2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                        Back to the original topic, got nothing but good things to say about the Michelin LTX that came stock on mine. I’m at 47,000 and the wear it great with almost all towing. I used to be a huge fan of the Good Year Silent Armor tire, it had incredible traction in snow even in 2WD, but production shifted and it’s not rated as good. I have a friend who is a tire distributor, when my last truck needed tires he recommended the a Hercules and it did well. I’ve since sold the truck so cannot comment on wear though. I think for this truck I’ll go back to the Michelin’s, they’re expensive but I’ve been really impressed with them.
                        Neil, I have the same tires on mine they now have about 32k miles in them. I rotate with oil change interval and do alignment twice a year. The outside edges look very worn so I had fronts moved to back for now. I just don’t know why my tires don’t last as long. I check tire pressure and when towing 75 front 80 back as per door sticker. When not towing 75 all around. At this point I wonder if these Defender LTX tires are too soft. Just had truck in for oil change there claimed all joints checked out ok. I wonder if all my gravel and washboard road exploring is killing them.

I will experiment with the AT2 tires next see if I can get better then the LTX M/S Michelin.
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Vivian,

You should be comfortable with the Ford oil life monitor. But to be comfortable you can have a sample of your oil checked for winter driving and again in the summer. Most likely you will find you can go further.

Jim
                          I will let the truck tell me when to change next time. I was just going by severe service oil change schedule in manual which is 5k miles. Have to look into this oil testing mentioned. I had no idea this is something available.

Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                            flyfshrockies

Howard

Howard - there you go again - where did you get it? Looks big enough I can even read it

Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda

I don't think SWMBO will notice -- only $7 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091J4N75M

If we meet and your DW is with you I'm just going to start running...

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Neil, I have the same tires on mine they now have about 32k miles in them. I rotate with oil change interval and do alignment twice a year. The outside edges look very worn so I had fronts moved to back for now. I just don’t know why my tires don’t last as long. I check tire pressure and when towing 75 front 80 back as per door sticker. When not towing 75 all around. At this point I wonder if these Defender LTX tires are too soft. Just had truck in for oil change there claimed all joints checked out ok. I wonder if all my gravel and washboard road exploring is killing them.

I will experiment with the AT2 tires next see if I can get better then the LTX M/S Michelin.
                                I don’t know what to tell you. I’m far less diligent, I’ve never rotated mine or checked my alignment. I had to buy a new trailer tire a few months ago (for a different trailer) and asked them to rotate them. They checked the wear and said I had even wear all around and there was no need. I’m towing about 12,000 pounds and the truck pretty much only tows either my fifth wheel or my 10,000 pound bumper pull cargo trailer. I rarely drive it empty. It’s mostly all pavement driving, maybe that’s the difference.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X