• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravel roads are hard on tires.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      I bought a digital tire depth gauge and have started a spreadsheet to track the tire depth (across each tire) every 5K miles. This way I'll be able to quantify any unusual wear. Note I'm using the mm measurement (Rob would approve?)
      I use the same mechanical tread depth gauge that I have used for decades. Ironically, it measures 32nds . I regularly track and record tread depth similar to your chart. This will find a problem long before it becomes obviously visible.

WRT “alignment” . . . this means that someone is messing with adjustments based on their ability and the accuracy of their alignment machine set up. I don’t allow the alignment to be touched unless tire wear tells me that something needs to be adjusted. A classic “if it ain’t broke . . . don’t fix it”. (Just my personal opinion)

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm with Rob on the alignment issue as well as "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Unless there is a visible (tire wear) or tactile problem (pulling to one side) I leave it alone. My last three trucks were never aligned, each with over 100,000 miles on them with many of those miles at speed on dirt and gravel roads. My friend that had the tire store was always telling me that he would like to sell me an alignment however it would most likely start a chain of adjust and readjust and that the factory set-up was best left alone unless there was damage or component wear, which was in his opinion the root cause of uneven wear. In that case the repairs needed to be done before an alignment.

Dave
        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

X3. I read my tires to determine whats needed. 4X4 trucks do need tire rotation often to avoid outside edge wear due to king pin inclination which is typically more pronounced on these trucks to reduce turning radius and for self returning of the steering wheel.

Jim

Comment

I have an appointment in Moab this Friday to get new tires. Through FMCA membership I have a good discount on the Michelin LTX AT2 tires for $199.84 each plus install. There is a Michelin dealer that is part of the program through FMCA. I had called Ford in Moab and they actually recommended that same shop for alignments, it is where they send all their customers. I think I will let them take a look because the last alignment I got was with Tire Kingdom in Florida and front tires still wearing at outside edge. My truck was never right and Ford did first alignment in Indianapolis. No issues found with suspension at last oil change in New Mexico a couple of weeks ago. But I will get to the bottom of this one way or another.

BTW, the tire shop told me that trucks in this area usually need tires after 30k miles due to the gravel and off roads that are so much fun to explore.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

Moab. An off road paradise. No wonder your tires are shot.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                Moab. An off road paradise. No wonder your tires are shot.

Jim
                I am only here for two weeks!! How much damage could I do. 😂 Actually, New Mexico is what killed my tires. I don’t drag my RV down any of those roads. She is a pavement princess. But the roads to some amazing places have washboard and ruts in places.
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

I am only here for two weeks!! How much damage could I do. 😂 Actually, New Mexico is what killed my tires. I don’t drag my RV down any of those roads. She is a pavement princess. But the roads to some amazing places have washboard and ruts in places.
                  I feel you, we just left Moab a few weeks ago. Amazing time.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

New Mexico roads are great for traction for my motorcycle but those same traction creating roads will grind off your tires pretty quickly. Double edged sword.
                    2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      I am going to get an alignment as there is obvious wear on the outside edge of the front passenger tire. (Camber is out? I think that's the right term.)

Howard

STEERING LINKAGE DAMPER !!!

A bad one can result in this condition.

Check with your dealer.

Some Super Duties have a problem with the damper that results in the famous Super Duty "Death Wobble".

When it is faulty, the front end can start oscillating, at speed, resulting in a rather dangerous circumstance.

Ford has sent out a letter which says if your truck has “sustained steering wheel oscillation after hitting rough pavement or an expansion joint at speeds typically above 45 mph,” bring it to the dealer and Ford will replace the steering linkage damper for free.

Forget "sustained".

Think "any".

It takes about half a day and Ford is extending the warranty.

Comment

Death wobble can be caused by a variety of factors including the steering damper. Alignment, steering system wear, track bar, shocks, ball joints, system geometry and more. It can sometimes be a daunting task to stop the wobble but its been happening on straight axle front ends since the model A. Regular inspection is required.

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2021, 06:17 AM.

Comment

The Grand Tire Pros in Moab suggested I use my Michelin Defender M/S tires another 1k miles or so to see if the new alignment helps with outer edge wear. Front tires flipped so inward edge now outer edge for the test. He did not want to sell me new tires until issue is resolved. If this does not work, will have to visit Ford for an inspection of suspension. Dampers look good and so does rest front end with only visual inspection.

BTW he airs down his 1 ton super duty to 40 for off-road (no weight in back) he said ride is greatly improved. Will try this next time. Anyone else do this much lowering of pressure?
                          Last edited by Beachcamper; 06-04-2021, 02:23 PM.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper Sounds like you found a tire guy that thinks past the sale. Waiting for an after adjustment test seems smart too. Airing down the tires will certainly help the ride on the dirt and gravel roads, it can also expose the sidewalls to additional hazards, airing them back to work pressures must be remembered afterwards however, I find a note to self has been helpful. Dirt road ruts are always problematic. We drive several thousand miles a year on dirt roads for fishing, etc. and found that on otherwise decent roads, as long as a person slows on the turns, 35 miles mph. works great on washboard stuff, that seems to be a sweet spot where the suspension works with itself instead of against. I know that sounds counter intuitive but it works!

Dave
                            flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

I air my E rated TV tires to 40 psi when not towing. Gained back some of my original half ton ride quality. The Michelin Defenders are wearing well and are quiet.

Jim

Comment

I keep the tires in my truck aired down for ride quality and improved tire wear. If i run the tires at rated pressure it will wear the center of the tread off long before the outer edge. Before i hook up the camper, Air them back up. I have a 1 gallon compressor in the camper just in case I need to air something back up while traveling.
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X