Brakes heating up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes heating up

We're on the last leg of our trip from Oregon to Sedona, AZ, and back with our 2021 Transcend 260 RB and have noticed the brakes have been heating up and grabbing. We'd previously taken the trailer to the coast and I had adjusted the Tekonsha controller to the 'boost 2' and level 10. This worked fine.

Now that we're going through 80 degrees plus weather I've had to adjust the controller down to level 4 and they still grab.

I did notice between Kingman, AZ and Boulder City, NV my tires got into the red with my tire minder, and temps for them were 109 degrees. Granted it was in the '90s in Las Vegas.

Is this normal?

I've never driven in such hot conditions with a travel trailer.

Thanks,

John

John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
    2017 Jayco 26BH
    2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

When you are driving, the tekonsha settings shouldn't be the issue. By 'grabbing' are they making the trailer pull back on you when you are travelling? Are they only 'grabbing' when you apply the brakes? ie coming on too hard with light application?
    Is it possible the heat issue is a bearing issue? when you say the tire got into the red it makes me think bearings...
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

The trailer brakes only grab when the brake is applied in the truck. Yes, the trailer pulls back at the low setting. I hope it's not a bearing issue, we just got the brand new trailer in March.

I set the Tire Minder for the cold pressure ( 65 psi ), the front driver's side tire hit 79 first, then the front passenger side, then further down the road the driver's side rear. We pulled off the road in Boulder City to get gas and during that time with a slower speed, the tires returned to normal. I was going 55-60 mph up and down the grades around Hoover Dam.

After leaving Boulder City all was fine.
      John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

A cheap infrared temperature gun similar to this Amazon.com: Etekcity Infrared Thermometer 774 (Not for Human) Temperature Gun Non-Contact Digital Laser Thermometer-58℉~ 716℉ (-50℃ ~ 380℃), Standard Size, Black: Instant Read Thermometers: Kitchen & Dining is a handy item to have while doing long distance traveling. Even though your Tire Minder system is reporting tire temp this will give you the ability to check the brake drum temp and possibly the hub temp , depending on your wheel design. Checking these temps at each tire will give you an idea if one is hotter than the other and also if the temps may be too high on the hub which would show that the bearings are not properly greased or the bearings are set too tight.

The brakes may also need adjusted back a little , may be adjusted too tight to the drum , this can happen with the self adjusting brakes.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks, Brian. We're in Reno now and it's cooler here, heading back to Oregon in the morning. I'll keep an eye on them and talk to the dealer when we get back. That thermometer looks good.

John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

A few year ago we were driving through Las Vegas at the end of June, and the air temperature was 116°F. Our TPMS was showing the tires at 125°F!!! And the asphalt was measuring 160°F. So those readings you're seeing look to be normal.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks, Jim. I had a feeling the environment was part of the reason since it had only occurred that one time. I am going to check the bearings and brakes when we get home. This is why I like this forum.
              John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Keep in mind you don't want to feel the trailer pulling too much (if any.) You want to be in the sweet spot between trailer stopping truck and trailer pushing truck. If you are feeling too much "pulling back" you may be over using the trailer brakes.
                Jim (& Sharon)
                2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                The toys:
                2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                  Keep in mind you don't want to feel the trailer pulling too much (if any.) You want to be in the sweet spot between trailer stopping truck and trailer pushing truck. If you are feeling too much "pulling back" you may be over using the trailer brakes.
                  That was my concern. I had them adjusted that way and with the heat they grabbed which initially freaked me out.
                  John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Another fly in the ointment.

While driving home in significantly cooler weather in Northern California, the driver's side rear tire went from a black 71 psi to a red 83 on the Tire Minder. After slowing and stopping to walk the dogs I decided to check the pressure.

I noticed the little panel nut that serves as the lock for the unit was loose. I removed the unit took a reading and it was 71 psi. Put it all back together drove home and no issues at all.

John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

You are aware and cognizant of what is normal. That is a huge first step. . Now you are getting warning signs of trouble. You will definitely want to pull maintenance when you get home. Don't just assume that a brand new trailer has a good bearing installation. In 2017, when I bought mine, there were a lot of "from the factory" bearing problems. Those have mostly gone away, but still at a minimum repack the bearings with good high temp grease.

Speaking of grease, check brake pads for grease. If one or two seals have gone bad and you have grease on some brake pads but not others I tend to think after a while the not greased brakes would get a little grabby. While you have the tires off run your hands around them, feel for any bulges. Lots of times you can feel them before you can see them. Those bulges means the tread has begun to separate, something that happens when tires get run hot.

Hopefully it is just a brake adjustment.

You can probably tell that I am a little paranoid when it comes to suspension problems. I don't like unwanted roadside time.
                      2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                      2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                      E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                      Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Thanks, we have a short trip in a couple of weeks, so checking the brakes and bearings before that are a priority.
                        John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

It may very well be that your brakes have now "broken in" and the shoe and drum contact has been mated giving you better performance than when the unit was brand new and not broken in. I second the thought that an inspection is needed though. I typically pull mine apart after the first big trip so I can inspect the brakes, repack the bearings and set the bearing pre load after break in. I just finished servicing my 337RLS with all 4 grease seals blown out from someone power filling the hubs. Now that I know everything is correct and operating properly the time on the road is less stressful.
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Just a quick comment my Ram has 3 settings for brake control, the first is light weight trailers under 10K the second is electric brake over 10K and the 3rd is electric over hydraulic. My trailer is just over 10K and I still run the low setting with gain around 5 seems to be sweet spot. Im not sure what your truck has but maybe somewhat the same and if its set for heaver trailer might be why the gain is at 2 and the brakes are grabbing, just a thought
                            2021 Reflection 303RLS
                            2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

All great advice. Here is a link that provides some additional information via a video on the Tekonsha P3 if this is what you have. Keep in mind some rigs are heavy enough that you will not experience wheel lock. Others may lock up the front wheels only where this is to be expected based on the suspension design. You will want to adjust your gains to just below wheel lock and to a level of braking while using the TV brake to feel like your unloaded. Also some information on the Boost levels which looks like you may not want to be using the boost function.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...716a97e3e492b4

https://www.etrailer.com/question-17572.html

Jim
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X