Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grease gun nipples

Hello.
    I had a nice little grease gun that took the 5-6 inch cartridges. The drawback was I had to buy three different kinds of grease in the pack. So I bought a performance tool grease gun with the 14" cartridge. I use it for the fittings on the wheels which I never had a problem with my other trailers using the old gun. The problem I have is the nipple on the new grease gun does not fit on the zerk fitting. So...Does anyone know the size nipple I should get? I have an imagine 2020 rb2600 with the E rated tires. Thank you
    2020 2600rb

All grease guns should fit all of the grease zerk fittings , standard or metric included. I have not had to change the end on a grease gun because it would not fit a grease fitting. I have had to change an end because it was wore out and would not hold on to the fitting. If the grease fitting is not accepting grease it may be dried up inside or in case of the hanger bolts the cross hole may not be oriented in the 3 or 9 o-clock position.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Maybe just replace the coupler on the grease gun. It may not be working properly.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll go buy another nipple. I pushed as hard as I could and it just wouldn't go on the fitting.
        2020 2600rb

Comment

Grease gun 101 here. Most not all grease end fittings are adjustable. Most of them come in completely tight. It may take a pair of pliers to unscrew the working end of the fitting to loosen up the jaws.

I have seen them so cranked down, that if you do get it to clamp, you will never get it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9MNUHwUFY

Note that he is spinning the non hose end to change the clamping force on the zerk.

The only other issue I have had is the fitting not physically fitting into the opening the zerk was buried in. That's where this little friend of mine comes in https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Nar...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== just put the little end against the ball on the zerk and pump away.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Grease gun 101 here. Most not all grease end fittings are adjustable.
            Good grief! I'm 62 years old and just learned this??? THANK YOU for sharing this information!
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Me too! I guess old dogs can learn. Maybe now I can adjust the coupler and not use a prybar to get the coupler off the zerk on my jet pump.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Well Guys back somewhere close to 40 years ago when I did not have enough body or hand strength to force couplers on and off of zerk fittings when helping dad, he taught me that trick (There are countless others as well).

One would think that Zerk fitting shape would be pretty much a standard by that day in age. Well I can tell you they were not. I could get the nipple on some fittings but not others and dad was too busy working on other things, so he showed me how to adjust the head to get the nipple on and off.

Be advised that if you get the nipple too loose, it will leak. I have had some stubborn Zerks require that I crank down the nipple after it slips on to stop the leaking. With my needle, I crank it down also (now I have a lock-n-lube end on the primary gun) then just use the fine tip to get grease in the fittings.

I originally bought the needle for greasing https://www.amazon.com/Moog-620-Flus.../dp/B0093XUVW2 on my driveline U-joints. But since have found multiple uses for it.

To the OP these are a bit pricey (avoid the knock off it breaks before you install it) https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fit.../dp/B00H7LPKKU but well worth the money for ease of use.

Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by cruzin View Post
                  Hello.
                  I had a nice little grease gun that took the 5-6 inch cartridges. The drawback was I had to buy three different kinds of grease in the pack. So I bought a performance tool grease gun with the 14" cartridge. I use it for the fittings on the wheels which I never had a problem with my other trailers using the old gun. The problem I have is the nipple on the new grease gun does not fit on the zerk fitting. So...Does anyone know the size nipple I should get? I have an imagine 2020 rb2600 with the E rated tires. Thank you
                  There are some great tips in this thread. cruzin - Just to let you know, most of us do not lubricate the hub fittings on our RVs. We've had conversations with Lippert and Dexter technicians and they told us those fittings are primarily used when the axle is installed on boats. The same type of axles and hubs can be installed in both RV and boat trailer applications. After submersion in water, a shot of grease in the hubs will displace water on a boat trailer axle. They have told us that on an RV, the only greasing that is needed is during the annual bearing repack and inspection. Their primary concern was that sometimes using a grease gun on the hubs will allow grease to get past the seal and into the brake chamber.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by cruzin View Post
                    Thanks for the replies. I'll go buy another nipple. I pushed as hard as I could and it just wouldn't go on the fitting.
                    Ge this and never look back. You can find them at your hardware store or online. Mine came in a 2 pack (short and long) with extra parts.
                    https://locknlube.com/products/locknlube-grease-coupler
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to post back. I called performance tool and they said the coupler was adjustable. (before I read the other replies saying the were adjustable. Anyway, no matter what I did adjusting in or out, It still wouldn't fit so i took the one off the old gun and works fine now. Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late post.
                      2020 2600rb

Comment

Working...
                      X