Spring shackle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring shackle problem

While driving I-294 outside Chicago I saw in my mirror the trailer dog walking behind me. I safely pulled into the Ohare Oasis and called for a tow. It's now sitting at Erhardt Trailer Sales and Service to be looked at tmrw. Wrecker driver noticed no spring bolt on top of none of the 4 sets. I don't know what this means but will know more in the morning. Any idea what I can expect here?

It looks like the u-bolts may have loosened or fallen off on that one spring. The axle shifted and the spring is ruined. As a minimum, a new spring pack should be installed and the u-bolts replaced. The axle and tire should be checked before finishing up. Looking at the other springs, they appear to be okay in the photos. But I'd check the torque on all the U-bolts while the mechanic is under there.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TNFSolitude DOn't know what year the camper is, but it looks like all the U-bolts are a bit short with no threads sticking out the top.

It's hard to tell by the picture, but are the nuts on the u-bolts on that one axle missing? I think auto correct got you on the post. "Wrecker driver noticed no spring bolt on top of none of the 4 sets."

If the unit is still under Dexter Warranty start a claim with them. Those U-bolts were installed at the Dexter Factory when the axle was assembled.

After they replace that spring, I'd go through that (and all the other) set of hub bearings. Side pulling on the bearings could have caused heat or wear.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
        While driving I-294 outside Chicago I saw in my mirror the trailer dog walking behind me. I safely pulled into the Ohare Oasis and called for a tow. It's now sitting at Erhardt Trailer Sales and Service to be looked at tmrw. Wrecker driver noticed no spring bolt on top of none of the 4 sets. I don't know what this means but will know more in the morning. Any idea what I can expect here?
        TNF,

It looks like your U bolts are loose and you sheared a spring center bolt. A pick of the entire failed spring would help to see whats going on. I see two springs on the opposite side with U bolt threads flush with the nuts and a spring on the failed side that look to be ok.

Jim

Comment

These are the "after" pics. The camper pulls straight and true again. The center pins on all 4 are properly in place. New issue though was the install of 4 new Argus Advanta 3200's load range G Radial ST's. I wanted Saliun or Goodyear, he said Advanta is the Goodyear G's. I now know that's not true. Also, during our trip the weights on the back 2 tires came off. They are no longer balanced.
          i have a call into Ehrhardt for an explanation and hopeful partial refund. I'm grateful they jockeyed the schedule to get me in and out. But don't lie to me.
          My question now is: Is it truly necessary for trailer tires to be balanced?

Comment

Necessary? Most shops will tell you no. IMO, it's mandatory. Road speed vibration will prematurely wear stuff out.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

TNFSolitude
              Hi Tom,

I am just catching up to this discussion . . . somehow, I missed the first round.

The new spring pack looks to be considerably shorter than the original three. Assuming that this new spring is the correct strength, this height difference at one location only, could upset your alignment enough to cause uneven tire wear. It is also possible that this new spring is a softer spec, which could make things worse. Given this repair shop's record with the truth, anything is possible. I am thinking that maybe you had the springs replaced during your earlier suspension adventure and they reused the U bolts? There should definitely be more U bolt sticking through the nut than what is shown in your pictures. U bolt torque is important, but yours are so heavily rusted that trying to torque them would be meaningless. U bolts aren't that expensive . . . I would suggest replacing them all. Done one at a time, you would not even need to jack up the trailer.

Balancing any tire is a good thing. But, trailer tires are often not balanced. Your OE tires were not balanced from the factory. Do you recall how much weight disappeared? If it is a small amount, I would not worry about it. If they were large weights (also more likely to fly off) it would be worth having the tires re-balanced ant take note of how much weight is where, for future reference.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                TNFSolitude
                Hi Tom,

I am just catching up to this discussion . . . somehow, I missed the first round.

The new spring pack looks to be considerably shorter than the original three. Assuming that this new spring is the correct strength, this height difference at one location only, could upset your alignment enough to cause uneven tire wear. It is also possible that this new spring is a softer spec, which could make things worse. Given this repair shop's record with the truth, anything is possible. I am thinking that maybe you had the springs replaced during your earlier suspension adventure and they reused the U bolts? There should definitely be more U bolt sticking through the nut than what is shown in your pictures. U bolt torque is important, but yours are so heavily rusted that trying to torque them would be meaningless. U bolts aren't that expensive . . . I would suggest replacing them all. Done one at a time, you would not even need to jack up the trailer.

Balancing any tire is a good thing. But, trailer tires are often not balanced. Your OE tires were not balanced from the factory. Do you recall how much weight disappeared? If it is a small amount, I would not worry about it. If they were large weights (also more likely to fly off) it would be worth having the tires re-balanced ant take note of how much weight is where, for future reference.

Rob
                Rob,

I caught the spring pack height as well. Is the new spring pack 6 leafs and the old 7? Something else I do not like is the standard nuts where U bolt nuts are much taller when comparing the new to the old.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

I caught the spring pack height as well. Is the new spring pack 6 leafs and the old 7? Something else I do not like is the standard nuts where U bolt nuts are much taller when comparing the new to the old.

Jim
                  Jim your correct - New is 6 leaf and old 7 leaf. Does not look like a correct match up or install. Also on edit, should spring packs not be replaced in pairs. I remember that being sound practice.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jim your correct - New is 6 leaf and old 7 leaf. Does not look like a correct match up or install. Also on edit, should spring packs not be replaced in pairs. I remember that being sound practice.
                    Looks to me like the original was six leaf on one axle and seven on the other (first pics). And I agree, replace in pairs.
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I see the spring pack is different also. I also see that the new ubolt is coarse thread instead of fine thread.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It looks like in the first pictures there is only one of the four spring packs is a 7 leaf. Seems like that would transfer more weight to the other axle. Can't be good. Lippert install failure?
                        Jim (& Sharon)
                        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                        The toys:
                        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

TNFSolitude Tom has been through a couple of different "suspension adventures" . . . so, we will have to wait for him to explain how his suspension got to where it is. Springs with the same load rating can come with different numbers of leaves and different thicknesses of the leaves, bu they should match on the same side of the trailer because of how they interact with each other through the center equalizer.

Some will say that side-to-side on the same axle should match and some will recall the litany of discussion that I had with LCI about this. My contention is that the springs should match the load carried on that side of the trailer . . . which is why I run stronger springs on the left side of my 303RLS than on the right side. There is an 800 - 1000 lb weight difference side-to-side on a 303RLS.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what the torque rating should be on these u-bolts and at what interval should they should be checked / re/torqued.??
                            I've sprayed Rust Reformer all over the the I-beam chassis and suspension/axles so they're not rusted in place.
                            I HATE a rusty belly lol

Also, would a shot of WD-40 help keep the threads and nuts more easily tightened, if need be ??

Thanks

Michael
                            F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

2017 307 MKS 9,875 UVW 12,995 GVWR 1,605 Pin wt.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Breeze View Post
                              Hey guys,

Does anyone know what the torque rating should be on these u-bolts and at what interval should they should be checked / re/torqued.??
                              I've sprayed Rust Reformer all over the the I-beam chassis and suspension/axles so they're not rusted in place.
                              I HATE a rusty belly lol

Also, would a shot of WD-40 help keep the threads and nuts more easily tightened, if need be ??

Thanks

Michael
                              Michael
                              There was a thread way back on this to check the U-bolts and it had the correct torque specifications for the different size nuts. Perhaps use the search feature. I want to say it was in 2019 sometime . I found mine were not to specification. Depending on you axle manufacturer you can probably find the information on thier site.

As for lube I use PB-Blaster. I find it better than WD-40 to penetrate

Hope this helps
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X