Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerbuilt 3-Ton All-in-One Jack Failure

I have one of these.

Yesterday while using it on my trailer to double check one of my sumo springs it stopped lifting. I was jacking against the frame (see my sumo spring install) and had the safety catch engaged. No leaks, was not over extended, oil level is OK and release valve was closed properly. It just felt mushy pumping the last bit under load, then settled back. This jack should lift the trailer with ease by the frame. Is there a rebuild kit for the pump? I have looked online but not found anything. Maybe not looking for the right parts, I got it on line, and probably not worth the shipping costs to ship anywhere.

I had to get my old Craftsman small 2T floor jack and lift on one of the U-bolts to get it free - what a pain.

On a side note - There was a post here - or elsewhere, for a 3" axle tube saddle that would accept bottle jack heads in a socket welded to it. I cant find it now. I also saw a high density rubber pad that fit under the U-bolts (both) for using a floor jack to lift the trailer in another post. Cant find that one either.

Discount tire uses them on thier big floor jacks.

Thanks for any help

Afterthought - can anyone recommend a good aluminum floor jack for use with the trailer with an appropriate pad for the U-bolts?

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

The Dayton aluminum jacks at Harbor Freight are pretty nice. The aren’t cheap. Practice hockey pucks make good pads for jacks. You can carve them to shapes as needed.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Yoda
      Hi Keith,

This might just be some contamination on the release valve seat, preventing the valve from closing completely. Open the valve a full turn and compress the jack as quickly as possible (the intent being to flush the valve seat. Then, close the valve firmly. Might require a wrench rather than the straight jack handle.

My trailer has been sitting on four of these stands throughout the entire winter . . . so, you have me (moderately) concerned . . .

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Yoda
        Hi Keith,

This might just be some contamination on the release valve seat, preventing the valve from closing completely. Open the valve a full turn and compress the jack as quickly as possible (the intent being to flush the valve seat. Then, close the valve firmly. Might require a wrench rather than the straight jack handle.

My trailer has been sitting on four of these stands throughout the entire winter . . . so, you have me (moderately) concerned . . .

Rob
        Thanks Rob
        Ill give that a try.

What is frustrating is I have tried contacting thier customer service using thier form and email and I got a message back to use thier form and email to contact them. No one answers the phone, so I have left messages.

We will see what tomorrow brings - Thanks for the help
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Service at alltradetools.com just called me. They no longer sell rebuild kits due to a past lawsuit. However he gave me instructions to re-prime the jack. It involves having the release valve open and pulling up on the jack, and pumping as well as the decompressing as Rob mentioned. This process recirculates the fluid. I asked about a parts diagram - they have none due to the suit but hinted that all bottle jacks are very similar, so to look on line. Pump parts (o-rings are generic). He stressed to do any jacking carefully and to use additional jack stand said never trust a bottle jack alone.

Hope this helps. Ill update later on what I find when I get round to messing with it.
          Keith

Comment

I think there's a welded one on amazon for bottle jacks.

This isn't welded https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...y?cm_vc=-10005

John
            John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
            2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
            ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
            2017 Jayco 26BH
            2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

J & J Bumblebee amp;

Crossing threads here, but all related to the same jacks. If you can weld (or know someone who can) the best “adapter” is a piece of 3” ID pipe which spreads the weight as evenly as possible between axle tube and jack. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/referen...-off-the-tires

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                J & J Bumblebee amp;

Crossing threads here, but all related to the same jacks. If you can weld (or know someone who can) the best “adapter” is a piece of 3” ID pipe which spreads the weight as evenly as possible between axle tube and jack. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/referen...-off-the-tires

Rob
                I can weld....not very well because I don't do it often enough and I have a welder!

I may see what scrap 3" is going for. I hope it's less expensive than wood these days.

John
                John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  On a side note - There was a post here - or elsewhere, for a 3" axle tube saddle that would accept bottle jack heads in a socket welded to it. I cant find it now. I also saw a high density rubber pad that fit under the U-bolts (both) for using a floor jack to lift the trailer in another post. Cant find that one either.
                  The prewelded axle saddle: Bottle Jack Buddy https://bottlejackbuddy.net/
                  From https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...6598#post16598
                  Last edited by gbkims; 06-02-2021, 08:42 PM.
                  Gene and Kim
                  2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                  2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Yoda In my past experiences with jacks, oil in them will evaporate out (don't ask me how because there were no leaks) and result in the MUSHY feelings when pumping. I suggest checking the level when it's fully compressed and possibly adding a little. Also check to see if the jack has an air inlet to the reservoir and that is free and clear as this can result in the pump not being capable of pulling oil in.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Update
                      After trying everything still a no go. Still leaks down badly (wont pump up under load). I have searched on rebuilding but found nothing. Was looking for a diagram or You-tube video on rebuilding of the jack pump too, but cant seem to find one.

gbkims
                      Gene I contacted https://bottlejackbuddy.net/ about thier jacking saddle as the web page says up to 2.75". Evidently they had a machining issue and the new stock will be available in a few weeks will handle 3" axle tubes.

So I guess I am in the marked for a new bottle jack - any recommendations? Ill probably look for 4 to 8 ton as I have other uses, like my tractor

Comment

I have a 6 ton that I found at Wally world. It is in a plastic case that stores nicely in the front compartment , do not lay down a bottle jack they will seep oil out. The only thing to make sure of is that it fits under the axel tube , if it fits when the tire is flat that is a bonus.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda Have you tried looking at tractor supply for a replacement jack to put in place of the failed one?
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Yoda Have you tried looking at tractor supply for a replacement jack to put in place of the failed one?
                            Joseph
                            Yes i did. I posted about it in this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...off-the-ground
                            The jack they used is special. I will keep an eye out for one that might fit. If all else fails I can use it as a jack stand.

I did check the oil level today and noticed it about 1/4" to 3/8" low from the plug. To me it's good, but I will fill it and try again.

Comment

I was at Tractor Supply today and looked for that jack. They have one and I almost bought it.

John

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1738.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	59365

Last edited by J & J Bumblebee; 06-30-2021, 05:40 PM.
                              John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Working...
                              X