Spare tire mount under tongue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare tire mount under tongue

We have a 2021 22 MLE. I want to mount the spare tire under the tongue. Has anyone done this? Any problems? I need room in the back for my sewer tote and bike rack.
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

cvretis A couple of thoughts come to mind. I have never considered this so I am just speculating here. There could be interference with your WD hitch springs etc., they probably extend back about 30 inches from the coupler. Ground clearance could be greatly restricted when transitioning from level to up or down such as entering or leaving a sloped area, we're talking about 8 or 9 inches below the "A" frame bottom leaving only about 8 or 9 inches of clearance, suspension travel on the road could be 4 or 5 of those inches. The diameter of the spare will take most of the space/length of the "A" frame area and last about 75% of weight of the spare would be added to your tongue weight with another 25/30% added by moving that weight off the back. I would think long and hard about this before spending the effort and $$ on this project. Just my thoughts.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

And don't forget, a bike rack on the rear bumper is not recommended.
      2018 Reflection 315RLTS
      2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
        We have a 2021 22 MLE. I want to mount the spare tire under the tongue. Has anyone done this? Any problems? I need room in the back for my sewer tote and bike rack.
        Mounting anything under the drop frame is a bad idea since there would be a lack of proper clearance. X2 on the bike rack where the rear bumpers are only made to handle the spare.

Jim

Comment

Have you considered the LCI Jack-It Bike Rack or the Swagman Straddler, both racks mount on the tongue of the trailer? Unless you have more than 2 bikes.

A tongue mounted bike rack would be much easier than fabricating an under tongue tire mount. If you are set on moving the tire you may consider moving the battery to the pass through, with ventilation, or swap to a lithium which don't require ventilation. Mount the spare tire where the battery used to be.

The Lippert Jack-It BikeWing A-Frame Double Bike Carrier features an innovative frame design that installs over the tongue jack on your trailer's A-frame, the most stable area of your entire coach, allowing you to utilize your hitch or cargo space for additional gear.
          Mike & Lisa
          Central Florida
          2021 Imagine 2970RL
          1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

cvretis

There are spare tire carriers that attach under the main trailer frame. This would be a better idea than under the tongue. I would echo the concern about attaching a bike rack to the rear bumper. Many manufacturers specifically note that their product is not for attachment to the rear of an RV trailer.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAL Hide-A-Spare.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	56394
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Do you have room under the rear frame for a storage tube like this? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...be-under-220rk

If you have a rear receiver possible something like this might work. In the photos they show a bike rack attached to it. Would need to check your reciever capacities though.

https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...iABEgI7_vD_BwE

BTW this is a neat spare tire carrier as it lowers the tire to the ground - If I had known about this I would have gotten it instead for the Curt that I have now.
              Keith
              Last edited by Yoda; 06-04-2021, 11:43 AM.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X