Electric Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Brakes

I'm on the road camping with my 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE. When I stopped for gas, I noticed the trailer running lights were on even though the truck/lights were off. Later while driving down the road, I turned the truck lights on. This caused the trailer brakes to lock up. I pulled off the road. Unplugging the trailer cord released the brakes. Plugging the cord back in locked the brakes again. My type vehicle is a 2017 Dodge ram 1500 hemi Anybody heard of this?

Originally posted by wagdan View Post
    I'm on the road camping with my 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE. When I stopped for gas, I noticed the trailer running lights were on even though the truck/lights were off. Later while driving down the road, I turned the truck lights on. This caused the trailer brakes to lock up. I pulled off the road. Unplugging the trailer cord released the brakes. Plugging the cord back in locked the brakes again. My type vehicle is a 2017 Dodge ram 1500 hemi Anybody heard of this?
    You probably have a short in your plug or the junction box. Do you have a multi meter? If you do you can check the trailer wiring. Also look under truck at the plug wiring harness to see if anything is amiss (chafed or shorted wires)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

You probably have a short in your plug or the junction box. Do you have a multi meter? If you do you can check the trailer wiring. Also look under truck at the plug wiring harness to see if anything is amiss (chafed or shorted wires)
      wagdan

I see that this is your first post. Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

I agree with Yoda . . . and, the first place I would look is the junction box where the cable to your truck connects to the trailer wiring. The connections in this box are rather "fragile" and a hard pull on the cable can dislodge them. If you need help with what-connects-to-what . . . we can assist.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Same Idea, different cause. Do you have the 7 way plug seated correctly in the truck? IE, it's key'ed, do you have it in the keyway the right way?

But it's more likely what Yoda is saying, the trailer plug or the Truck outlet is wired wrong.
        Mike
        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

I had an event with a previous trailer where putting the truck in reverse actuated the trailer brakes. The truck receptacle was miswired. Camping World did the original installation. They had a black box to be able to check the receptacle wiring connections and determined the receptacle was miswired. This was before trucks were prewired for trailering.

Suspect that your receptacle or plug is miswired.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by wagdan View Post
            Unplugging the trailer cord released the brakes. Plugging the cord back in locked the brakes again.
            I expect that you would have noticed this earlier . . . if the problem were incorrect wiring. . Look for something shorting wires together . . . most likely in, or close to, the connection box referenced earlier.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way wiring.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	56436

Use this to check your wiring.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

wagdan We had a similar occurrence on another unit years ago. What happened for us was the battery shifted on a bad pothole in a turn and pulled on the hot wire from the battery. This caused havoc in the junction area mentioned on another post. I agree that if your plug is o.k. I would look there as mentioned, there is a lot going on in that location. Remember to disconnect the hot wire from the battery before adjusting/tightening any connections in that area.

Dave
                flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

This may sound odd, but I have heard of people putting the plug in 180 out with the key opposite the cover.

NOTE: The key USUALLY goes toward the hinge on the cover as the cover is part of the locking setup to hold the chord in place.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    This may sound odd, but I have heard of people putting the plug in 180 out with the key opposite the cover.

NOTE: The key USUALLY goes toward the hinge on the cover as the cover is part of the locking setup to hold the chord in place.
                    180 off will cause exactly as described. Not sure how peeps do it but I have heard it happens.
                    Jim (& Sharon)
                    2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                    2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                    The toys:
                    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                    2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

It can happen, I am fallible, I did it and filed that one under "I better actually look next time", no harm done thankfully. I have found that if I touch something and look at the same time my mind is much more focused on what I am doing and actually seeing. Touching requires the eyes, hand and mind to coordinate their actions. Expectation error is also a real thing, just because I have done something hundreds of times does not mean I automatically do it right every time even though I might think I did. I nearly left a landing gear in the up position because of a distraction during that portion of an approach to landing one day.

I actually like mistakes that do little to no harm, I generally learn something.

Dave
                      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Working...
                      X