21 Solitude 382 RoadMaster tires keep blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    ThePowells The XX.5" diameter beads use a different profile and thus require more air to keep the bead seated. One needs to pay particular attention if they have any XX.5" diameter tire / rim combinations regardless of what it's mounted on.

I studied this quite a bit when thinking about upgrading my 2500 to 17.5" rims to get the longevity of using an OTR commercial tire (lots of windshield time going on). The thing I found was that those tires needed to be kept aired fully or it was possible to have the bead come loose.
    OK. I just thought I was reading that a "commercial" Vs "LT" truck tire in the same rim diameter would have different bead profiles. If somebody is trying to mount a 16 on a 16.5 wheel, hand me a beer and give me a stool 'cause I wanna watch that show. If it is a 16.5 on a 16 wheel, I'm hiding until after the boom.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells Both will go boom. A 16” tire on a 16.5” wheel is the worst. I have seen a few actually air up and not blow out. I have also seen one pick up one of the old style center post machines when it let go.
      2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
      Traded 2021 Reflection 337
      2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
      Formerly M&K337

Comment

ThePowells Jerry, when you get that invite to watch the 16" tire on a 16.5" rim let me know I want to bring some adult BEvERages and watch also.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I studied this quite a bit when thinking about upgrading my 2500 to 17.5" rims to get the longevity of using an OTR commercial tire (lots of windshield time going on). The thing I found was that those tires needed to be kept aired fully or it was possible to have the bead come loose.[/QUOTE]

They do require more air to stay seated but you don’t have to run them @ max air pressure either. The sidewalls are steel reinforced when you get into commercial tires. So the whole tire is much stiffer than an LT tire. The F 450 has 19.5’s depending on the empty weight you could go as low as 65psi with the 225/70R 19.5 LRG.
          2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
          Traded 2021 Reflection 337
          2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
          Formerly M&K337

Comment

At some point, a knowledgeable tire center needs to be relied on to purchase and install tires. They would be responsible for installing mismatched components and putting people at risk.
            Tires and rims must always be the same diameter.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X