21 Solitude 382 RoadMaster tires keep blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 Solitude 382 RoadMaster tires keep blowing

We Have a 2021 Solitude 382 WB-R that we ordered with 8K axles which added the Cooper RoadMaster H rated tires. I was ok with this after seeing all the tire horror stories on the internet, however it fells like we have fallen into a similar nightmare. We blew our first tire in a month, got a new tire that blew during the mounting process. I was extremely concerned at this point even asked if they could possibly have a bad lot, mounted another tire took back to the camper which blew in 300 yards. I run a TPMS system which has given no warning during any blowouts on the camper has always been the same rim but was told nothing is wrong with the rim, while I wait on tire number four. I did google the tire specs and they list the maximum tire inflation values at 125 psi which is what the factory said to inflate the tires to so not sure of anything anymore. If anyone has a suggestion we would be extremely grateful, Thank You
    Claudia & Andy
    2021 Solitude 382 WB-R
    2021 Chevrolet 3500 High Country DRW

Quest4Sunsets

Welcome to our owners technical forum.

From your description, it sounds like these are faulty tires. I don’t recall Roadmaster tires ever being discussed on this forum. I think your only choice is to change to a recognized brand with a known history.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Quest4Sunsets View Post
      We Have a 2021 Solitude 382 WB-R that we ordered with 8K axles which added the Cooper RoadMaster H rated tires. I was ok with this after seeing all the tire horror stories on the internet, however it fells like we have fallen into a similar nightmare. We blew our first tire in a month, got a new tire that blew during the mounting process. I was extremely concerned at this point even asked if they could possibly have a bad lot, mounted another tire took back to the camper which blew in 300 yards. I run a TPMS system which has given no warning during any blowouts on the camper has always been the same rim but was told nothing is wrong with the rim, while I wait on tire number four. I did google the tire specs and they list the maximum tire inflation values at 125 psi which is what the factory said to inflate the tires to so not sure of anything anymore. If anyone has a suggestion we would be extremely grateful, Thank You
      Do you have any pictures of the failure mode? "Blowing" could mean a number of different things...

For tires--I'm a Sailun fanboy. Get the right model spec'd to your trailer and it's unlikely you'll have any further issues. I documented my experience here:
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...talled-315rlts

Obviously I'm only a single owner with a single experience...but I've been very pleased with the tires.

Noted you were new, so please check out the Welcome Letter, too!
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Not sure how good the Coopers are, I do have them on my 320G with the 8K axles, and I only have about 1,000 miles on them with no problems so far. What you are saying is this is only happening on one rim, the others are fine. I find it hard to believe that three tires in a row, even faulty ones would fail that fast. I would switch to using the spare tire/rim and see if the problem continues. If no problems with the spare, that is pretty good evidence of something wrong with that one rim.
        Last edited by Wileykid; 06-09-2021, 06:41 AM.
        2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
        2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Either something with the rim or that axle end. You may want to have that axle checked for alignment.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Do you have any pictures of the failure mode? "Blowing" could mean a number of different things...

For tires--I'm a Sailun fanboy. Get the right model spec'd to your trailer and it's unlikely you'll have any further issues. I documented my experience here:
            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...talled-315rlts

Obviously I'm only a single owner with a single experience...but I've been very pleased with the tires.

Noted you were new, so please check out the Welcome Letter, too!
            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
            Here is a picture of the first blown tire, was on a 4 lane going through a town in Alabama. Was nothing in the road and no warning.
            Claudia & Andy
            2021 Solitude 382 WB-R

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post
              Not sure how good the Coopers are, I do have them on my 320G with the 8K axles, and I only have about 1,000 miles on them with no problems so far. What you are saying is this is only happening on one rim, the others are fine. I find it hard to believe that three tires in a row, even faulty ones would fail that fast. I would switch to using the spare tire/rim and see if the problem continues. If no problems with the spare, that is pretty good evidence of something wrong with that one rim.
              Have been on the spare since that fateful morning in March with the exception of the 3oo yards on the first replacement. Not sure who would agree the rim is bad Grand Design dealer, Grand Design themselves?
              Claudia & Andy
              2021 Solitude 382 WB-R

Comment

Quest4Sunsets

I can understand the tire dealer's reluctance to blame this on a faulty rim. I don't know how a rim problem would cause a sidewall puncture as shown in the picture. How did the second tire, that only went 300 yards, fail?

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Quest4Sunsets

I can understand the tire dealer's reluctance to blame this on a faulty rim. I don't know how a rim problem would cause a sidewall puncture as shown in the picture. How did the second tire, that only went 300 yards, fail?

Rob
                  Looks to me like the bead failed, nothing visibly wrong with the tire.
                  Claudia & Andy
                  2021 Solitude 382 WB-R

Comment

Originally posted by Quest4Sunsets View Post

Here is a picture of the first blown tire, was on a 4 lane going through a town in Alabama. Was nothing in the road and no warning.
                    Wow...not a tire expert so that's a first for me. Hard to ser how the wheel could cause that fault.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

No tire guy here either, but like the idea of the bead not holding, as most I have seen, even a tire blowing, the tire bead stays mounted. That would explain three separate tires, and the damage in the picture.

How did the tire blow on mounting? Is the people who are replacing the tire actually know what they are doing? I could see a bad tire, because crap happens, then incompetent mounting after that.
                      2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                      2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

In the posted picture, I am seeing what looks like a large puncture and another slice cut beside it. Did the second (300 yard) failure exhibit a similar hole?

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That first one isn't a blow out. That's physical damage from something puncturing the tire.

I'd be guessing the rim was damaged in the first incident which is causing the subsequent failures. A load range C car tire would hold up for 300 yards.
                          John & Kathy
                          2014 Reflection 303RLS
                          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Quest4Sunsets It is really hard to tell from the one picture. Just from what is visible, that tire does look like some sort of road hazard. I would guess these are 17.5’s. Typically a rim issue will either rip the sidewall in a line from the bead toward the tread or the bead will blow off wheel. A tire failing while being mounted is definitely a red flag. Possibly the tech is inexperienced and damaged the tire during mounting or there is a quality issue.
                            You don’t say if you are dealing with a tire shop or an rv dealer. Either way if you have a third issue I would find somewhere else.
                            2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                            Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                            Formerly M&K337

Comment

Quest4Sunsets I also have the 8K and H rated Coopers. Seems like I remember a sticker on the side of the trailer touting a no excuses warranty from vendor GD uses to supply mounted tire/wheel assemblies. I took the sticker off, and don't have immediate access to the trailer file, but it was something like "hornblower" (I know that is incorrect) or similar. We took delivery 12/14/20, VIN 03584. Have you reached out to them? FWIW, over 5K so far and zero issues with our tires. Leaving next week to add another 5K to them. I had the Sailuns on our last trailer, and had no issues with them either. I don't think you could get that many bad tires in a row. Has to be something else going on (wheel, overweight, etc).. Also, have you weighed your rig? On a side note, I can't find anything on the sidewall to the contrary, so it is my understanding that these trailer tires are limited to 65 mph.
                              Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                              2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                              2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                              2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                              Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Working...
                              X