No announcement yet.

21 Solitude 382 RoadMaster tires keep blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Lionshead", "Liongate", something like that. Sounds just like "hornblower", huh.
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great information. The tire dealer in SD that was going to mount the new tire noticed the rim was damaged, had a flat spot in the rim. I have reached out to our dealership for a replacement rim.

He did say it was important to keep the maximum cold tire pressure,125 psi, in these tires so that was good to know.
      Claudia & Andy
      2021 Solitude 382 WB-R
      2021 Chevrolet 3500 High Country DRW

Comment

Most people do not know but a 17.5" commercial tire rim has a different bead profile than a 17" or 18" passenger tire. this bead profile does not hold the tire like a passenger tire.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Most people do not know but a 17.5" commercial tire rim has a different bead profile than a 17" or 18" passenger tire. this bead profile does not hold the tire like a passenger tire.
          Although so far I have keep mine at the max 125 psi, I know that most tires have a load/pressure chart that will allow you to lower the pressure if you are not at max weight. Are you saying that these tires, that there is not chart (haven't looked), and to always keep it max?
          2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
          2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post

Although so far I have keep mine at the max 125 psi, I know that most tires have a load/pressure chart that will allow you to lower the pressure if you are not at max weight. Are you saying that these tires, that there is not chart (haven't looked), and to always keep it max?
            They do have a chart (http://roadmastertires.com/getmedia/...aad/RM170.aspx) however the tire tech said to keep the tires at Max pressure due to the construction of the tire which is what my sticker on the trailer says to set the pressure at 125 psi.
            Claudia & Andy
            2021 Solitude 382 WB-R

Comment

Originally posted by Quest4Sunsets View Post

They do have a chart (http://roadmastertires.com/getmedia/...aad/RM170.aspx) however the tire tech said to keep the tires at Max pressure due to the construction of the tire which is what my sticker on the trailer says to set the pressure at 125 psi.
              I've heard it said over and over again that the Tire & RVC manufacturers have no idea of what weight you will be towing so hence they default to max tire pressure. It is my humble opinion that the tire pressure charts are there for a reason. I use 100psi in my 3550BH-R based on the scale weight of my RV. At 100 psi my Roadmaster (Cooper) tires are rated at 16040 lbs (4010 per tire) based on the charts. MY GVWR is 16800. My actual weight is 15500 ish. Again just my 2 cents.

JaC
              U.S. Air Force Retired
              2021 Solitude S-Class 3550BH-R
              2020 F350 SB SRW Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJaC View Post

I've heard it said over and over again that the Tire & RVC manufacturers have no idea of what weight you will be towing so hence they default to max tire pressure. It is my humble opinion that the tire pressure charts are there for a reason. I use 100psi in my 3550BH-R based on the scale weight of my RV. At 100 psi my Roadmaster (Cooper) tires are rated at 16040 lbs (4010 per tire) based on the charts. MY GVWR is 16800. My actual weight is 15500 ish. Again just my 2 cents.

JaC
                I completely agree and not sure about all dealers but this was not discussed other that use the pressure listed on the label. Here is where I hope that you RV veterans can help provide more accurate information. I have to ask about the chart the one I posted above does not show different tire pressures based on the weight so is it safe to say I did not find the correct chart for my tire?
                Claudia & Andy
                2021 Solitude 382 WB-R

Comment

The weight of the trailer cannot be averaged across the four tires to determine a pressure set point lower than the trailer label number. Many trailers are considerably heavier on one side than the other. To consider a lower pressure, you would need the loaded weight measured individually at each tire and set the pressure of all tires to what is required for the heaviest location plus a reasonable safety margin. Not knowing how the trailer will be loaded is why manufacturers of all trailers (not just RVs) spec the trailer tire pressures to match the sidewall spec of the tire.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Quest4Sunsets View Post

I completely agree and not sure about all dealers but this was not discussed other that use the pressure listed on the label. Here is where I hope that you RV veterans can help provide more accurate information. I have to ask about the chart the one I posted above does not show different tire pressures based on the weight so is it safe to say I did not find the correct chart for my tire?
                    http://coopertrucktires.com/CooperTr...tion-table.pdf is this what you are looking for?
                    U.S. Air Force Retired
                    2021 Solitude S-Class 3550BH-R
                    2020 F350 SB SRW Platinum

Comment

Wileykid if you are running a xx.5 tire, it is considered a commercial tire. the beads and bead seats are such that its easy to de-rim them if not properly inflated since there is not a true groove in the beads seat like passenger tires. I'm no tire expert, but something I have read along the way in looking for tire options over the years.

Also as Rob stated, you need to know tire payload to determine air down pressure. This gets extremely complicated unless running something like an air ride as springs and equalizers do a decent but not perfect job of averaging the load per side of the trailer. Watch the braking videos where the front tire locks up as load is transferred to the rear one during braking. This happens continually as the trailer rolls down the road with potholes, seams in pavement, and just about any other surface defect.

An over inflated per load chart tire will oulast an underinflated tire every time in side by side comparison (unless just too much pressure beyond rating). Tires have a lot of internal reactions that need to be considered. Tire to pavement, tire to rim, internal sidewall chords to rubber, tread chords to rubber, sidewall chords to tread chords, etc. This makes for one large pool of variable that work to try and destroy a tire from the inside out.

editing this since I finally found a document that shows the profile differences:
                      https://commercial.firestone.com/con...mDiam_9108.pdf
                      Last edited by Jlawles2; 06-11-2021, 12:02 PM.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 That addresses rim diameter, not the actual curve profile of the mating surfaces between the bead of the wheel and tire. That was the "discussion" and stance of the "anti-darkside" and early GL1500 radial tire converts as to why if you do, you will die.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells If you look at the images, they show the difference in the bead seats. Page 2 right hand column 5 deg vs 15 degree.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

They are different where a 16" bead would rest on a 16.5" rim and and the 16.5 bead is difference, but that is an apples to oranges comparison. Are you saying that there are different bead angles/ configurations within the same wheel diameter?
                            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells The XX.5" diameter beads use a different profile and thus require more air to keep the bead seated. One needs to pay particular attention if they have any XX.5" diameter tire / rim combinations regardless of what it's mounted on.

I studied this quite a bit when thinking about upgrading my 2500 to 17.5" rims to get the longevity of using an OTR commercial tire (lots of windshield time going on). The thing I found was that those tires needed to be kept aired fully or it was possible to have the bead come loose.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                                Jlawles2 That addresses rim diameter, not the actual curve profile of the mating surfaces between the bead of the wheel and tire. That was the "discussion" and stance of the "anti-darkside" and early GL1500 radial tire converts as to why if you do, you will die.
                                A Darkside reference! Love it--this thread could go on for PAGES now, Jerry! (For the record, I ran a run-flat car tire on my 'Wing for many, many thousands of miles when I towed a small cargo carrier and two-upped on long trips. Surprisingly I didn't go down in flames...)

Back to our regularly scheduled program before Brian (my fellow moderator) gives my hand a virtual slap.
                                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                                X