Metal band on leaf spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal band on leaf spring

Although I will mention it to the dealer when I have some warranty work done next week, the metal band that goes around the front part of the leaf spring on both of the springs on my front axle are gone. I am wondering the significance of this, if any. Did some googling, but wonder what info I can get here.
    2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
    2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Hi there. The metal band is called a "rebound clip". They are important for a couple reasons.

1. The keep the spring pack aligned during installation. Since yours are already installed, that's not an issue.
    2. The primary reason is to keep the spring stack together when you hit a bump in the road. If your spring stack separates on rebound, it can really stress the primary spring and cause it to snap. Over the years, we've seen many broken springs and it can cause a pretty serious breakdown when it occurs.

You can purchase rebound clips on amazon if yours are lost.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-32...%20main%20leaf.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Hi there. The metal band is called a "rebound clip". They are important for a couple reasons.

1. The keep the spring pack aligned during installation. Since yours are already installed, that's not an issue.
      2. The primary reason is to keep the spring stack together when you hit a bump in the road. If your spring stack separates on rebound, it can really stress the primary spring and cause it to snap. Over the years, we've seen many broken springs and it can cause a pretty serious breakdown when it occurs.

You can purchase rebound clips on amazon if yours are lost.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-32...%20main%20leaf.

Jim

Thanks, that is what I read. Rather doubt the dealer will have any in stock, although I will check with them, and looks cheap enough that I will get some better ones on Amazon. Just amazing that they did not even last 2000 miles. They are probably somewhere in Ohio, or Kentucky on one of the freeways that was testing both the truck and trailer suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post

Thanks, that is what I read. Rather doubt the dealer will have any in stock, although I will check with them, and looks cheap enough that I will get some better ones on Amazon. Just amazing that they did not even last 2000 miles. They are probably somewhere in Ohio, or Kentucky on one of the freeways that was testing both the truck and trailer suspension.
        So that's what hit my windshield!!!!
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Hmmm . . . leaf spring rebound clips are usually rather substantial and riveted into place. Some spring packs have them and some don't. The thin metal clip around the spring is likely nothing more than a place to put the spring manufacturer ID and part number. It is not going to be strong enough to retain a loaded leaf. Maybe to keep the stack aligned during production, but not likely anything more. First picture is a trailer leaf spring with a rebound clip. The second picture is a (rather rusty) ID tag . . . I could only find one remaining on my trailer.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	3208
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	57114Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	3048
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	57115
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, I get looked at funny and have to play 20 questions every time i get under the camper. It seems like since I have joined the forum, you are under there taking pictures every couple of weeks.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Here is the picture of the band. Sure doesn't look that it would last, but I don't know. The ones on the rear axle are good. Just to say, this is the 8K axle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Rob, I get looked at funny and have to play 20 questions every time i get under the camper. It seems like since I have joined the forum, you are under there taking pictures every couple of weeks.
                LOL! . . . I tend to take pictures as I work through different projects. (Often to remind me how something goes back together ) Many of the pictures that I post here were taken a long time ago.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here is the picture of the band. Sure doesn't look that it would last, but I don't know. The ones on the rear axle are good. Just to say, this is the 8K axle.
                  Another Hmmm . . . it is curious that this light metal band was placed over the hole where a more substantial rebound clip could have been riveted.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Although I will mention it to the dealer when I have some warranty work done next week, the metal band that goes around the front part of the leaf spring on both of the springs on my front axle are gone. I am wondering the significance of this, if any. Did some googling, but wonder what info I can get here.
                    As a result of your post Wileykid, I checked my rebound clips and found the one on the passenger side leaf spring of the front axle was barely hanging on but still there after approx 1,000 miles on the new rig. See photo. The other side on the front axle was still in place, but slightly loose. The two clips on the back set of leaf springs of the rear axle were still tight around those springs. I reinstalled the clip that was falling off bending the locking tab with channel locks. It’s now close to as tight as the opposite side, but wondering if this will hold long term or if I should upgrade to clips that are more substantial? This forum has been invaluable to this newbie! Thanks to all that have responded to this thread.
                    Chuck & Vicki
                    2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
                    VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
                    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Villager View Post

As a result of your post Wileykid, I checked my rebound clips and found the one on the passenger side leaf spring of the front axle was barely hanging on but still there after approx 1,000 miles on the new rig. See photo. The other side on the front axle was still in place, but slightly loose. The two clips on the back set of leaf springs of the rear axle were still tight around those springs. I reinstalled the clip that was falling off bending the locking tab with channel locks. It’s now close to as tight as the opposite side, but wondering if this will hold long term or if I should upgrade to clips that are more substantial? This forum has been invaluable to this newbie! Thanks to all that have responded to this thread.
                      The one in the picture looks exactly like mine does. My trailer is at the dealers right now for warranty work. Not sure what kind of clip they will use, but I am pretty sure I will end up ordering a better clip and replace the front ones, and watch the rear ones. From what I have read, the clips are not suppose to be that tight, and are held in place by the notch on the bottom of the spring.

Comment

The metal band is called a "rebound clip".
                        Jim
                        Jim you are wealth of information. I hadn't really thought about those clips very much. It seems the first really tight RV site that I pull into those clips get busted. I don't think I have any left. It appears to me that when we twist our trailer axles into a site the springs are also twisted sideways, just a tad, but enough to pop the clips. I'll bet people that only use pull through sites have pristine clips. Me, I try to stuff my 41' footer into every 39 1/2 foot site I can find, usually with a very narrow road. Ergo, no clips.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Jim you are wealth of information. I hadn't really thought about those clips very much. It seems the first really tight RV site that I pull into those clips get busted. I don't think I have any left. It appears to me that when we twist our trailer axles into a site the springs are also twisted sideways, just a tad, but enough to pop the clips. I'll bet people that only use pull through sites have pristine clips. Me, I try to stuff my 41' footer into every 39 1/2 foot site I can find, usually with a very narrow road. Ergo, no clips.
                          I think the OEM clips are "tin foil clips". lol.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Interestingly enough, and surprised, they are replacing the leaf springs that the rebound clips broke off of under the warranty. When I get it after they replace it, I will put some better quality clips on.

Comment

I think the OEM clips are "tin foil clips". lol.

Jim
                              I agree that the "tin foil clips" are never going to keep the spring leaves aligned. See the first picture in post #5 for what a rebound clip is supposed to look like . . . or have a look at the springs on your truck. The thin metal band is simply a place to put the part number. Whether it is there or is not there . . . will make no difference to the function of the spring (in my opinion)

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X