Metal band on leaf spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post
    This seems to be getting more interesting. Got a call from the dealer yesterday, and they have submitted a warranty claim to the factory to replace both the front and rear leaf springs on the right side, and replace both the front and rear hangar brackets also, on that side. Going to be interesting on what the factory says.
    It would be highly unusual for an RV dealer to have a technician with the skills to correctly cut away spring hangers and position and weld on new ones. This is typically done by a heavy truck/trailer repair facility. Proceed carefully here . . . and get more details on why the factory welded hangers need to be replaced. By “hangar brackets” maybe they mean shackle links?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

It would be highly unusual for an RV dealer to have a technician with the skills to correctly cut away spring hangers and position and weld on new ones. This is typically done by a heavy truck/trailer repair facility. Proceed carefully here . . . and get more details on why the factory welded hangers need to be replaced. By “hangar brackets” maybe they mean shackle links?

Rob
      Wileykid

Is it possible the dealer will subcontract out the job to a heavy-duty shop? When we got some gelcoat work done under warranty, our dealer let us know it would take slightly longer, as they had to book a different group to execute the repair.

Either way, I agree with proceeding carefully and try and get as much info out of the dealer about what they intend to do
      ​​​​​​
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

It is going to be interesting on what the factory says. I would be surprised if the factory says yes to anything beyond the springs. It could be the shackle links, and nothing is going to happen without a detailed description to me. Messing with the alignment is major, and currently the only place I would trust is a heavy trailer repair place down the road.

I leave in a little over a week for three weeks, so nothing is going to happen for a least a month. I have an aftermarket spring clip I will put on for the trip, and we will see what happens.
        2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
        2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

I was under my trailer today greasing the wet bolts and noted the clips on both front springs had popped open. Since they were both still there I grabbed a couple of deep throat clamps and maneuvered them back into place. I doubt they will stay there though they are not very robust and bent back into place fairly easily.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
            I was under my trailer today greasing the wet bolts and noted the clips on both front springs had popped open. Since they were both still there I grabbed a couple of deep throat clamps and maneuvered them back into place. I doubt they will stay there though they are not very robust and bent back into place fairly easily.
            On one of the clips, I did the same thing with being able to put it back. That lasted about 500-1000 miles, and it came off again, this time, the tab that holds the two side together had broke off.

I am not sure where this is all going, other than it is not normal, and everyone has a different opinion.

Comment

My experience with the trucks at work was that these retainers fail regularly, some were made of heavy steel with a cap screw holding the U-shaped metal across the top of the spring.
              I doubt I will replace them when they come apart again.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Finally have word back from GD on the leaf spring issues. Dexter has replied that from what they can see from the pictures, my problem is only that the springs have flatten, which has caused the clip to come off. The Dexter warranty does not cover springs that have flattened, and as far as they are concerned the most likely cause is an overweight trailer. My problem is, the heaviest I have run the trailer is 14,880 lbs (per CAT scale), and the GVWR of the trailer is 18,000. The springs have flattened with about 3K miles on them (second pair), 3,000 lbs under gross weight is pretty sad. Dexter has offered as a goodwill to send two new springs to me, but at this point, I am leaning on going to a local shop that makes springs and get it right, without worrying about how long the new springs will last.

Dealer response has been, that it can happen with the roads we have, and one doesn't realize the actual weight of the trailer. Had the shoulder shake when I told him that I had the CAT scale paperwork to show that I knew the actual weight of the trailer.

Such frustration. Still waiting on the brakes caliper situation from Dexter, but I am pretty sure the outcome of that after talking to them this morning.
                Last edited by Wileykid; 08-16-2022, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Wileykid Years ago we also ended up with flat springs. I was also underweight and watch the roads carefully to avoid hazards. There were two primary thoughts I had back then that could have caused this.

The third is a nice to have.

1) Cheap springs from across the pond.

2) A delivery driver that could care less about slowing down to avoid road hazards or rough roads. The route from Elkhart to MI is horribly rough in places. Today we live in OH.

3) Lack of dampers/shocks and jounce bumpers. These same components found in our trucks would aid in suspension longevity through damping and the prevention of overtravel.

To be honest, I will never know the cause on a new rig back then. Lippert sent the springs to me for free.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                    Wileykid Years ago we also ended up with flat springs. I was also underweight and watch the roads carefully to avoid hazards. There were two primary thoughts I had back then that could have caused this.

The third is a nice to have.

1) Cheap springs from across the pond.

2) A delivery driver that could care less about slowing down to avoid road hazards or rough roads. The route from Elkhart to MI is horribly rough in places. Today we live in OH.

3) Lack of dampers/shocks and jounce bumpers. These same components found in our trucks would aid in suspension longevity through damping and the prevention of overtravel.

To be honest, I will never know the cause on a new rig back then. Lippert sent the springs to me for free.

Jim
                    1) Agree with the cheap springs

2) Can't blame the delivery driver as the springs are the second set, replaced under warranty last year.

3) After replacing the springs with good ones, I plan to put on the Summo springs to help.

Comment

Wileykid

My springs years ago were flattened by all three on the list since I had never abused them. But I will never know the main contributor.

Would you know where to source good springs made from quality spring steel?

Jim

Comment

I've inquired with Eaton Detroit Spring since they make springs here and with US sourced spring steel. I would like to know if they can make a spring with a truly round spring eye and perhaps a better bushing than what we have available to us. There is a measurement sheet somewhere on the forum for Lippert and Dexter springs. However, Eaton measures springs a little differently.

If or when I hear back from them, I will post it here.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

Several years back, Pat Wardell (another Reflection 303RLS owner) and I were working through spring alternatives to level our trailers side-to-side, given that the street side is about 1000 lbs heavier than the curb side. That's a long story for another day.

We assembled a list of potential springs. These are probably stronger than what you are looking for, but the dimensions seem to be the same for a wide range of springs. See the attached "short list" that Pat and I were working with and a longer list from Rockwell.

Rob

Spring Alternatives.pdf
                          Attached Files
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            Wileykid

My springs years ago were flattened by all three on the list since I had never abused them. But I will never know the main contributor.

Would you know where to source good springs made from quality spring steel?

Jim
                            I am just starting to look for new springs, and have no idea who makes good springs. One local business near me Textrail, has a 7 leaf spring set up, but is only rated at 3,500 lbs, which is 500 lbs less than I need, at a minimum. The springs they sell are Emco, and the Emco website says they own the steel factory in China, so not sure on quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Jim,

Several years back, Pat Wardell (another Reflection 303RLS owner) and I were working through spring alternatives to level our trailers side-to-side, given that the street side is about 1000 lbs heavier than the curb side. That's a long story for another day.

We assembled a list of potential springs. These are probably stronger than what you are looking for, but the dimensions seem to be the same for a wide range of springs. See the attached "short list" that Pat and I were working with and a longer list from Rockwell.

Rob

[ATTACH]n92810[/ATTACH]
                              Thanks Rob,

This is the list I recall was out there. Eaton Spring also needs the measurement from the center bolt to each eye center. I believe our springs all have the center bolt in the middle of the spring but I would caution, we should verify that.

Eaton Detroit are the only leaf spring makers I have found that use US sourced steel. But its the spring eye that has me intrigued in a better made spring. If we had a larger eye that would support a thicker bushing, this would be a game changer.

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

On the topic of spring eyes and bushings . . . after bashing out countless plastic and bronze bushings (often in relatively short mileage) . . . primarily because of the out-of-round spring eye . . . I decided to make my own steel bushings. (I have a metal lathe). I have recently installed these steel bushing on the trailer and we will see how they last.

I think you are on to something with trying to find springs with better formed eyes and bushings.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.jpeg
Views:	435
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	92835 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2142.jpeg
Views:	415
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	92836
                                Cate & Rob
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X