No announcement yet.

Brakes screeching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to get new seal and bearings just in case shavings from the adjustment assembly got in there.
    Jim and Cindy
    2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
    2021 320G

Comment

Yes I do see the small amount of grease. When you install the new seals be sure and apply grease to the seal lips that will ride on the spindle. Plenty here including Cate&Rob has determined over the years that the factory installation of the grease seals , Lippert or in recent Dexter , does not grease or lube the seal lips. After a few miles of travel , usually from GD to the dealer , these become hot and will attach to the spindle. When moved again the seal lips will tear as they have become attached to the spindle from the heat and melting. When you clean the spindles you may notice this area back where the seal rides could have some build up. Carefully polish this with some fine emery paper or scotch brite pad. Just another item to check each year or so when brakes are inspected and bearings are repacked , as if we do not have enough to do already.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by rebel23 View Post
        I was going to get new seal and bearings just in case shavings from the adjustment assembly got in there.
        Hi Jim,

Looks like you are on the right track to solving this.

The rear seal should be replaced every time a hub is pulled. (These are relatively inexpensive) And, remember to polish and grease the spindle surface that the seal rides on . . . as Country Campers Brian describes.

WRT the bearings . . . the bearings and the races pressed into the hub should be replaced in matched pairs. Putting a new bearing into an old race (which may be from a different manufacturer) is not a good idea. If you don't want to get the old race(s) pressed out and new race(s) pressed in, just clean and carefully inspect the bearings. If the rollers are not scored or discoloured, they will be fine. Your mileage is actually very low for a bearing problem to occur. Chances are slim that material from the brake area got past the seal and into the bearings.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks guys, yea I figured I’m in here might as well be safe about it and take care of this maintenance. I talked to GD yesterday and they say they are sending me an axle package, I assume it means the brake assembly not sure if right and left or just right side. They also said I could do the work if I want too, which I do.I’ll let you know what I actually get from them, but they were super nice about it. Very happy so far!

Jim
          Jim and Cindy
          2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
          2021 320G

Comment

Originally posted by rebel23 View Post
            Thanks guys, yea I figured I’m in here might as well be safe about it and take care of this maintenance. I talked to GD yesterday and they say they are sending me an axle package, I assume it means the brake assembly not sure if right and left or just right side. They also said I could do the work if I want too, which I do.I’ll let you know what I actually get from them, but they were super nice about it. Very happy so far!

Jim
            Did you get parts yet and if so, what did they send you?
            Bob P.
            2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
            2020 337RLS
            VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Bob P I have not yet. I sent an email today to get an update, I will definitely let you know what happens.

Jim
              Jim and Cindy
              2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
              2021 320G

Comment

Just got an update from GD and they expect the parts from Dexter on the 13th of July, then they will ship them to me. I will check in with any updates as I get them.
                thanks for the interest.

Jim
                Jim and Cindy
                2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                2021 320G

Comment

Bob P I wanted to let you know (and anyone else following this) that I got the parts a couple of weeks ago from GD, however they sent the brake drum and bearings, which I used but I needed the brake assembly. I called GD back again and told them what I needed (Dexter part #023-465-00) , it took about 2 weeks but I finally got the correct part last week. Replacing the brake assembly was super easy and since they sent me a new drum with bearings and seal I put them on also. So my experience with GD is great, it just takes time to get the parts like everything else. I hope this closes this chapter of my brakes.

Jim
                  Jim and Cindy
                  2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                  2021 320G

Comment

Working...
                  X