Stud size and thread pitch on Dexter 4400LB axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stud size and thread pitch on Dexter 4400LB axles

Got the 16" tires and wheels installed - the height gain leveled thing out very well. I did have an issue right at first as the Discount Tire kid jacked on the axle just inboard of the spring, not the U-bolts. I stoped the work immediately and had him grab the manager who told him I was correct, Everything looked OK and he reposition the jacks correctly. Kid told me he had always jacked on the axles of cars. I explained to him in no uncertain terms, do not do that on a trailer as the tubes are thinner.

Anyway to my question. My previous spare was a steel wheel so carriage bolts and normal lug nuts worked. Now I have an aluminum wheel and need the proper studs to work with the correct lug nuts.

From parts look up
    140003 : TIRE LUGNUT 1/2" STAINLESS STEEL 3/4 HEX 1.38" TALL

• Part Name: TIRE LUGNUT 1/2" STAINLESS STEEL 3/4 HEX 1.38" TALL
    • Part Number: 140003
    • Part Description: TIRE LUGNUT 1/2" STAINLESS STEEL 3/4 HEX 1.38" TALL

Please Note: All parts can be purchased through a Grand Design RV dealer near you.

So this nut will fit a 1/2" stud, but what is the thread [itch - is it standardized? I checked the Dexter site for my axle, but could not find the stud information.

I guess what I am asking is if I go to an auto parts store and get studs and lug nuts to mount the spare, what do I ask for?

Thanks - Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

1/2-20 is what you are looking for. Take one of your lug nuts with you to be certain.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda Keith, The first time it took me a while to find it. https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf pages 74 & 75. Don't remember where, but somewhere else I even found which studs are in which hubs.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Country Campers Jlawles2

Brian and Joseph. Thanks so much for the help and the answer. I am hoping a stud will pull tight in the slot on the Curt tire carrier. Otherwise I will double nut a 1/2 carriage bolt that fits the slot like I am using now, but a bit longer. Right now the cone nuts I am using are buried in the wheel lug holes and I would need to keep a special socket handy to get them off.. Having correct wheel lug nuts would solve that problem.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I had to drill my Curt carrier out just a bit and then pulled studs thru the slots for the spare on the Class C. I made sure not to make the holes too big and used the impact to pull then thru.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
            I had to drill my Curt carrier out just a bit and then pulled studs thru the slots for the spare on the Class C. I made sure not to make the holes too big and used the impact to pull then thru.
            Thanks Jerry
            I went to Napa and got some std 1/2x20 studs and long 60 degree cone nuts and was able to pull the studs into the slots. Everything is good now - spare is solidly secured. I hope to never use it. For my Alaska trip I will be adding a second spare back under the unit and put the retaining bolt through the crank stud as others have done.

It's one more project off the list.

Keith

Comment

Working...
            X