Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheels have corrosion or discoloration under clear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels have corrosion or discoloration under clear.

Dennis66

Anyone have issues with the aluminum wheels having discoloration or corrosion under the clear. I know it's nothing I used on the wheels as this is the first time I cleaned them since delivery. It's also on all 4 of the wheels. I'll have to try and get pictures tomorrow if it's not raining.

Dennis, your 303 is about the same age as mine, you notice anything on your wheels?
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Dennis66

Anyone have issues with the aluminum wheels having discoloration or corrosion under the clear. I know it's nothing I used on the wheels as this is the first time I cleaned them since delivery. It's also on all 4 of the wheels. I'll have to try and get pictures tomorrow if it's not raining.

Dennis, your 303 is about the same age as mine, you notice anything on your wheels?
    This is typical with just about any aluminum wheel that has the clear coat sprayed on. All of my truck wheels have done it and there are a couple spots starting on our RV.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Very common issue here in the salt belt. They can be refinished but its expensive and experience shows that they dont last any longer than the new did.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

familytruckster4 Unit was manufactured in Feb of 2021 and delivered March of 2021. I would hope the finish would last more than 4 months.
        Joseph
        Tow
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Had it been done properly it should have, thats pretty sad.

Comment

I will check mine today bring home for trip Sunday
            2021 Reflection 303RLS
            2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Dennis66 This is what the curb side ones look like on mine. Found during first wash. All 4 show similar discolorations under the clear.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Curb-Front.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	60069
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Wow thats not right I would take it in and show them, I just looked at mine look like brand new I will send pic. My unit was built end of Fab
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Here is a pick I have not washed them in awhile,
                  Attached Files
                  2021 Reflection 303RLS
                  Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I would agree with the previous comments that every aluminum trailer wheel has (or will soon have) these blemishes. Salt or brine on the roads the culprit.
                    Many years ago, this was a common problem on car and truck wheels, until the manufacturers changed to much more expensive finishing processes.

It should not surprise anyone that trailer wheels are still being finished with the decades old and much less expensive processes. The good news is that this is cosmetic and is not going to affect the durability of the wheel. The bad news is that trying to refinish the wheels is a losing proposition, since this will be a lot of work that will be short lived. (ask me how I know this )

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I would start by letting GD know about the issue and then contact Lionshead who likely supplied the wheel/tire combination. Clearly there was a defect when they were coated. My experience after having a tire issue on our 2018 Imagine was that Lionshead customer service was very good.
                      I would bypass your selling dealer since they wont likely be part of any resolution.

Comment

I have an appointment next week with the dealer. They setup the appointment when we signed the papers and picked up the rig. 4 months ahead of schedule. I'll bring it up with them and see what they say. I agree its an issue during MFG as the discoloration is not a bubble in the clear.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Dennis66

The finish on my '19's wheels is trashed.

Cate&Rob -- so getting the wheels sandblasted and powder-coated won't work? (Not that I'm going to do this, but curious about the "losing proposition" statement. I can't remember a thread where you've discussed this before so I'm curious.)

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The finish on my '19's wheels is trashed.

Cate&Rob -- so getting the wheels sandblasted and powder-coated won't work? (Not that I'm going to do this, but curious about the "losing proposition" statement. I can't remember a thread where you've discussed this before so I'm curious.)

Howard
                            Hi Howard,

My experience with this goes back to automotive aluminum wheels (both OEM and aftermarket) from, admittedly, many years ago where I tried to polish out and re-coat similar looking blemishes with products intended for that purpose. The wheels would look great for a few months, but the blemishes would reappear under the coating. I never tried anything as extensive as having the wheels sandblasted and powder coated . . . this could work, but might approach the cost of new (better quality) wheels.

I have wondered if this corrosion is some type of electrolysis between the aluminum wheel (the anode) and the steel RV chassis (the cathode). Sort of like an anode rod in a steel tank water heater. This could only be improved by changing the aluminum alloy used in the wheels.

Rob
                            Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-10-2021, 06:50 AM.
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had a set of Ultra wheels on my 2005 HD that I bought after the 2nd set of OEM's went bad. I cleaned them real well and sprayed them with Eastwood clear wheel finish and they looked good for the 6 or 7 yrs after that, right up to the point I sold it. Way better protection than the OEM coating from a rattle can .......If you can find an economical way to have wheels stripped I wouldnt hesitate to use this product. The cleaning and prep is important though.
                              We had several GM vehicles at work that had issues with the original wheels, sent them out and spent a lot of $$ to have them refinished and the redone wheels didnt last any longer than the originals.

Comment

Working...
                              X