Squeaking suspension when walking on the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaking suspension when walking on the floor

For a while now I've been hearing a squeak when walking around in our rig. I thought it was inside the floor somewhere and have tried to ignore it as I wasn't prepared to open up the floor. But the other day I pushed on an exterior wall and heard the squeak. So I pushed it some more and got the rig rocking and there was the annoying squeak repeating with each oscillation. It appears its not a floor issue, so now I'm thinking it might be in the suspension or axles.

Has anyone experienced this? I'd love to hear suggestions on how to diagnose and repair this issue.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Lots of suspension parts could cause a squeak. The steps may also make a squeaking sound. Grease all of the suspension points and see if that helps. It could be in the leveling jacks as well.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
      For a while now I've been hearing a squeak when walking around in our rig. I thought it was inside the floor somewhere and have tried to ignore it as I wasn't prepared to open up the floor. But the other day I pushed on an exterior wall and heard the squeak. So I pushed it some more and got the rig rocking and there was the annoying squeak repeating with each oscillation. It appears its not a floor issue, so now I'm thinking it might be in the suspension or axles.

Has anyone experienced this? I'd love to hear suggestions on how to diagnose and repair this issue.

Bob
      I had that issue and placing just one of my x-chocks on the wheels solved the issue. Didn't even have to do both sides.
      Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
      2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
      2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post

I had that issue and placing just one of my x-chocks on the wheels solved the issue. Didn't even have to do both sides.
        When I read the OP, I too thought about X-chocks. A lot of people poo poo X-chocks but I personally think they help stabilize a rv and deploy them on both sides.

I actually saw someone deploy X-chocks before leveling their TT. With the X-chocks deployed they couldn't level the TT. The tongue jack couldn't overcome the X-chocks.
        Charles and Susan
        2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
        Andersen Hitch
        2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post

Bob
          As others have mentioned, I had the same issue and using X-chocks between the tires completely fixes the problem on my RV. I have this problem at almost all times and locations until I put the X-chocks on and then the noise is totally silenced.

Comment

Here is my two cents worth. Prior to upgrading to this new TT (2600RB) I read many posts on spring suspension (had torsion before). Came to conclusion that I will likely replace it all except springs and reinforce the hangers.

I don't know much about your suspension but if it is stock and you have nylon bushings it is possible that you are getting some metal to metal contact and that is the cause of your squeaking. I don't think it would be your springs.

Here is what I have done in the past to detect this type of squeaking related to metal/metal contact. Get someone to rock the boat for you (so to speak). With your hand, gently cup all points of rotation, i.e. shakles, equalizer points, etcetera. You should feel something on the squeaking joint.

Good luck

Pierre
            Pierre & Tara
            2021 Imagine 2600RB
            2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
            1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I bought a single X Chock and it has taken out most of the squeak. So I ordered a second one for the other side - hopefully that will do the job.

Bob
              2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Is it the suspension squeaking or the aluminum supports holding up the floor?
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                  Is it the suspension squeaking or the aluminum supports holding up the floor?
                  It squeaks when I rock the rig from outside so I think it’s the suspension.

Bob
                  2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Working...
                  X