Air pressure settins as outside temps change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air pressure settins as outside temps change

So with air temp changing so does the psi pressure. My tires are sepcd at 80psi cold, I set the tires cold out side temp was 80 deg. Im heading to another campground and air temps are 68deg so tires now read 74psi. Should I just roll with whats there at since the weeks temps will be rising? Would seem silly to keep changing them to outside temps
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Dennis66

Air pressure change with temperature is about 1 psi per 10 degrees F. So, going from 80F to about 70F would change your cold set pressure about 1 psi. Not enough to read on most pressure gauges. If you are seeing 6 psi (80 to 74) . . . something else is going on. Changes in elevation will also change tire pressure since it is measured in psig . . . but, again . . . not that much.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

current temp is 72 deg and tires are all about 76psi. When temps hit 90 thely will be around 80 psi. That is kinda what Im saying I set tire pressure when temps wer close to 80 outside but in mid west temps go from upper 60 to upper 90. I guess when I get home I will reset pressures when temps around 80 outside. My TPMS system is very accurate with my digital air pressure gauge.
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I would not worry about the pressure change with ambient temperature. Pressure change because a tire is running hotter than the others may be a concern. That tire may be running under inflated because of leak or damage.
        I most want to see that all tire pressures stay nearly the same as each other at nearly the same temperatures.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I've observed the TireLinc system report inaccurate temps. The little caps that measure temp and pressure if left in the Texas sun will hit 120F with the unit sitting still.

As long as pressures start the same (1-2 deg diff) and stay within a few degrees of each other without hitting 120, all is typically good.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X