TST TPMS on 337RLS tires/valve stems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TST TPMS on 337RLS tires/valve stems

I am hoping that someone here may have some experience with the TST 507 with the flow through sensors. I have been doing alot of reading on the two types of sensors and would prefer to go with the flow through so I can replace the batteries. It seems these systems require either battery replacement or sensor replacement frequently(because the battery is sealed into the sensor). I have read that they advise with the flow through sensors you need metal valve stems. My truck has metal stems so no problem there. But for the trailer with aluminum wheels it has these short recessed rubber valve stems that seem pretty tough but not sure if they are tough enough for flow through sensors. I guess I could have the tires broken down and replace the stems but if someone has been using the flow through style with the existing ones I would love to hear if there have been any issues.

Thanks

Wayne
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    Wayne - MD Non-Comm Class A
    2006 F350 CC DRW (6.0 DFC Tow haul & Bulletproofed)
    2019 Grand Design 337RLS

WRingling
    Hi Wayne,

As far as I know, any valve stem attached TPMS sensor has a replaceable battery. The non-flow through are smaller and lighter and are removed like a valve stem cap, to add or remove air from the tire. I have run TireMinder non-flow through sensors (with replaceable batteries) on rubber stems for thousands of miles with no problems. It might be wise to have metal stems for the larger and heavier flow through sensors. An added benefit of the non-flow through is that when you remove a sensor to add air, this triggers and tests the low pressure alarm (or at least it should!)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob amp;Rob

Thanks for the info. Seems I was reading about a new sensor TST has put out that is sealed for high water usage.

https://tsttruck.com/507-series-sce-...-507-h-s1.html

They do sell both caps and flow through with replaceable batteries. I am leaning now more towards the cap style with replaceable batteries and less for the flow throughs.

Wayne
      <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
      Wayne - MD Non-Comm Class A
      2006 F350 CC DRW (6.0 DFC Tow haul & Bulletproofed)
      2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

I have the TST system non-flow type and have been very happy with them. As Rob stated, it tests the system when they are removed. I generally turn them on a while before leaving and check the pressures through the system. I will check one tire to verify the system is the same and if so, I call it good.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by WRingling View Post
          I am hoping that someone here may have some experience with the TST 507 with the flow through sensors. I have been doing alot of reading on the two types of sensors and would prefer to go with the flow through so I can replace the batteries. It seems these systems require either battery replacement or sensor replacement frequently(because the battery is sealed into the sensor). I have read that they advise with the flow through sensors you need metal valve stems. My truck has metal stems so no problem there. But for the trailer with aluminum wheels it has these short recessed rubber valve stems that seem pretty tough but not sure if they are tough enough for flow through sensors. I guess I could have the tires broken down and replace the stems but if someone has been using the flow through style with the existing ones I would love to hear if there have been any issues.

Thanks

Wayne
          I use the TST 507 with the non-flow through sensors. Nevertheless, I took the trailer to the tire shop and had my rubber valve stems replaced with metal ones. Cost about $50. The problem with rubber and flow through sensors (and maybe non-flow through sensors) is that as the wheel turns the valve stem is flopping around and it will break at the most inopportune time and all the air will come out. The non-flow through sensors are not as prone to this type failure because they are smaller and lighter. Therefore, while TST states that flow through sensors require the use of metal valve stems they are pretty much silent on the use of rubber stems with non-flow through sensors. Another issue to consider, which I learned on YouTube, is that with rubber valve stems the non-flow through sensors can beat against the wheel as it is turning which causes damage to the wheel and probably doesn't do the sensor much good either.

As for the battery, the non-flow through sensors that I have, have user replaceable batteries.

All in all, I am very happy with the TST system.

I hope this is helpful.

Bob
          Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
          2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

TireMinder is OK with their non-flow through sensors being used on rubber stems. I have used these on the RV for tens of thousands of towing miles and on the rubber stems of the truck for many more thousands than that, with no damage to either stems or wheels. There are some rather poor quality metal stems out there. Sometimes with the nut that tightens the stem to the rim on the inside. If you “upgrade” to metal stems, be careful what you buy.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob -- based on my experience with metal stems in the aluminum rear wheels on my dually, I also wonder if there is a risk of galvanic corrosion if the wheel is aluminum. Just speculation on my part, but something to keep in mind if an owner swaps out rubber for metal.

My Honda Goldwing has a different solution: there's a sleeve that slips around the 90 degree valve that secures the valve in place. I've never a similar setup on a "cage" (car/truck) but the sleeve is very effective at stabilizing the valve and the non-flow through TPMS I have on the bike. (Picture is generic taken from an ebay post.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeve.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	60722
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I ran the TST 507 cap sensors last year on my 2600rb with no issues. This year I replaced the batteries (really easy to do) and put them on my new 337rls. I also mounted the repeater on the outside wall of my street side propane compartment (on the inside). I then spliced that into my marker light wires so the repeater automatically comes on when towing (with lights on).

My brand new Tire Linc I got with the 337rls is still in the unopened box.
                Charles and Susan
                2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                Andersen Hitch
                2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I had a different TPMS system (EEZ, which screws onto the end of the valve) with my last trailer. It had the rubber valve stem, and checking with several tire shops, there were no metal valve stem that would fit the rim due to the way it was designed. I put on a metal valve stem sleeve, which is available at most tire shops and auto stores. Worked great, and no problems for at least 15K miles.

My reason for having to put the sleeve on, is I had a valve stem failure on the road, and I could see where the weight of the TPMS contributed to the failure. The manual on the system also says to have a metal valve due to the weight of the system. My current trailer came with metal valves, so no problems now.
                  2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                  2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Working...
                  X