Repack wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repack wheel bearings

Out service department at the dealership says that Grand Design recommends repacking wheel bearings “once a year”. What does that mean? Shouldn’t it depend on how much you drive it? 1000 or 10,000 miles? What is recommended for an Imagine 2600rb?
    Thanks

My opinion is that excessive wheel disassembly and assembly increases the likelihood of a breakdown. I keep an eye on miles, and do a visual inspection and shake test at least annually when I adjust brakes. Shake and spin the wheel while it’s in the air listening and feeling for play or roughness that isn’t from brakes and look carefully for signs of water intrusion or grease leakage.

But the first time I did mine quickly. I trust myself more than an unknown worker on an assembly line so I wanted to start with a known good setup.

It’s an easy process to learn and DIY.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

WWilmes

You can check the owners manual that came with your Imagine, but it will likely recommend once per year or every 12,000 miles. The process is as much about inspecting the brakes, inspecting the bearings and replacing the rear seal as it is about replacing the grease. The only way to inspect electric drum brakes is to pull the hub and once you have done that, the rear seal should be replaced. Since everything is apart, you might as well clean, inspect and re-grease the bearings. Just part of trailer ownership.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Page 84 https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

My last 3 trailers (2012,2018,2021) all had the grease seals damaged by an overzealous greaser,prior to me taking ownership, causing grease contamination on the brake system. I typically try to inspect the entire system and repack the bearings as soon as our first trip is over. Dexter recommends yearly inspection regardless of mileage. This is hotly debated on most RV forums. Unfortunately you will have to make a judgement based on your experience. I will say that I have a lot of experience with maintenance and repair and I have towed a lot of miles , once I do my first service and set everything properly I will normally go 2 yrs unless I notice a decrease in braking efficiency. Its strictly based on my experience and my level of understanding of the system. The point can be made that many cars and light trucks from the late 50's up until the advent of unit hubs used a similar system and did not require yearly service. Most of those vehicles went 40-50 thousand miles and multiple years before the bearings were packed during a brake service. I figure that Dexter says every year for multiple reasons, they designed, built and warranty the units and know them the best. Anything outside of that is me taking a calculated risk based on my experience (like so many other aspects of life)
        safe travels
        Last edited by familytruckster4; 07-15-2021, 05:38 PM.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by WWilmes View Post
          Out service department at the dealership says that Grand Design recommends repacking wheel bearings “once a year”. What does that mean?
          It means once a year. :-)
          Someone else said it, there is lots of talk (drama) online about 'I never this' and 'I don't bother with that because I know all about.....' and they don't repack their bearings yearly.

But I do.

If GD recommends repacking yearly, then that's how often it should be done.
          I compare it to changing your engine oil on time. Even if you don't, the motor won't blow up... probably.
          It's a maintenance item. If you don't want to do it, then don't... it's your trailer.

(fwiw, on page 54 of the Dexter manual that FamilyTrukster posted above, Dexter recommends that bearings be lubricated every 12 months or 12k miles. It doesn't say "which ever comes last", so I prefer to believe it's "which ever comes first".)
          Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
          2021 GD 2670MK
          2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

I had mine repacked at about 2500 miles (3 years) and they found bearing grease issues (warn and thin) on 3 of the 4. There is a thread I started. Next time (next year) I will be doing it myself. If you send your axle tag information to Dexter they can send you a build sheet that shows everything associated with the axle assembly (springs, axle, hub, bearings) and part numbers. I have a full set of bearings and cones I carry with me along with seals. I also carry extra seals just in case I have a hub pulled if I have a break issue - probably overkill, but does not take up much room.

Get it done.
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              I have a full set of bearings and cones I carry with me along with seals. I also carry extra seals just in case I have a hub pulled if I have a break issue - probably overkill, but does not take up much room.
              Of course now that you have those on hand, you will never need them. But peace of mind is a great thing!

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                Of course now that you have those on hand, you will never need them. But peace of mind is a great thing!

I also have an upcoming trip to Alaska. I may order a complete hub assembly to have for that one - along with a new truck
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

- along with a new truck
                  If that 2004 Ford you have is a 6.0 diesel, I would whole heartedly recommend a replacement before you head to Alaska. I had a 2004 6.0 diesel that was constantly breaking down. So much so I haven't bought a Ford truck since.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I have had numerous trailers over the years, (Car, Motorcycle, Utility, Campers) and every one, I pulled the bearing after the first trip. When they install the bearing new, they don't like to get their hands dirty and wipe i light film of grease on the bearing and no extra in the hub. I like my bearings to have lots of grease. If you want to think about numbers, imagine the trailer tire doing 65mph on the outside circumference, how fast is the inside going? The last one I did cost me $26.00 per wheel, (I replace outer and inner bearing sets and seals). A burnt axle on the road could cost up to $1000s in to fees and may have to repair axle and hub. Easy piece of mind, Do it once a year.
                    "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
                    2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
                    2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                    2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

I have mine done once a year on our way back from 6 month summer trips. We usually go 6-8k miles per summer. I just take it into Lipperts shop in Goshen and they also check my disc brakes and suspension during bearing maintenance. If I could do it myself would save $250 but I just don’t feel qualified to get it right. I know other RV’rs we meet that just squirt some grease into the bearings and think that is all that is needed because they trust the Dexter Nvr Lube system. Nothing bad has happened to them in regards to bearings so, it’s what you feel comfortable with. Personally, having an issue with a seized bearing in the middle of nowhere does not sound like fun. I even keep a spare bearing and seal with me, just in case.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Based on our current mileage, the wheel bearings are gone over every three years or 6K miles, or less. There is no point in servicing wheel bearings each year with the mileage this low. The annual service is a personal choice in feeling good about travel but 2k annual usage over three years is half of the 12K mile interval.

It is however a good idea to service in or just after the first year for an initial inspection for a baseline.

Jim

Comment

According to the Dexter service trainer at the GD rally the most important part of the first service was to reset the bearing preload after the initial break in. He stated that it was typical for the bearings to seat by as much as .003" and that if not corrected might cause premature bearing wear.
                          ( I keep forgetting his name, he is the guy that replumbs the hydraulic brakes on bigtruckbigrv youtube channel)
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

familytruckster4

I would be interested to learn what Dexter recommends for “bearing preload”. Other information recommends no preload for trailer wheel bearings. ie: “finger tight and loosen slightly to align cotter pin or retaining clip”. The logic being that as all components warm up in operation, they will expand slightly taking up the small amount of play detectable in a cold assembly. Bearing preload cold is going to get even tighter when warm.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              familytruckster4

I would be interested to learn what Dexter recommends for “bearing preload”. Other information recommends no preload for trailer wheel bearings. ie: “finger tight and loosen slightly to align cotter pin or retaining clip”. The logic being that as all components warm up in operation, they will expand slightly taking up the small amount of play detectable in a cold assembly. Bearing preload cold is going to get even tighter when warm.

Rob
                              Rob - its 50 Ft Lbs then back off to finger tight.
                              Good video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnH-h3W9XvI
                              Last edited by Yoda; 10-26-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X