Repack wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repack wheel bearings

The service manager at our dealership told us that grand design recommends repacking wheel bearings on a yearly basis. This does not make sense to me because the mileage driven on a yearly basis can be drastically different from one travel trailer to another. Does anyone have recommendations on how often to have this service done, how many miles driven? I have a 2021 imagine 2600 rb. Thanks

Official recommendation from the axle manufacturers is x miles or annually whichever comes first. Unless you do a lot of traveling it is almost impossible to hit the mileage limit.

So… the world won’t end if you stretch the service interval a little on the other hand is it worth the risk? As part of the bearing repack I test brake operation. On a recent repack of a customer’s RV two of the four brakes were inoperable - wiring problem.

Bottom line a repack is as much about ensuring the brakes are in good condition as the bearings.
    Colan Arnold
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    Full time since 2016

Comment

Don't assume all is good from the factory. Give it a good going over within first year then check/repack as you feel necessary based on your usage.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Manufacturers recommendation is 12000mi or 12 months. Whichever comes first. Personally I do it every other year. I rarely will exceed the 12000mi. I use it a lot, but I don't cross the continent often.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
        X