X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    HELP!!!!

Facts

I do have an infrared thermometer to check temps as I travel. Whats the upper temp limit? I assume I shot the wheel right where the cap attaches inside the bolt circle - I used to hand feel and never got too hot to touch unless I had run the brakes a while.

Thanks for the help - advice

Keith
    Keith,

I too have an infrared thermometer and use it frequently, but really just touching the hubs will tell you if there is an issue. As mentioned, you are looking for one wheel that's a lot hotter than the others.

I've noticed that just applying the brakes one time before a stop heats up the drum a lot. If you really want to check the bearings, dial your brake controller down to zero right before you make a rest stop on the highway. You will usually find the drums are cool to the touch.

Jerry

2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      - do you think they will let me in - being green and all ?
      It's Canada. We will let anybody in..lol

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I was a good day today.

A Durango Four Corners RV Tech ( Gold star plus) angle came out and did the repack. Excellent work. I learned a lot and next time I will do it myself - just need a few simple tools. (Isnt that the primary perpose of the site to support he US economy) He was very helpful explaining each step.

The bearings have about 2000 maybe 2500 miles on them as far as I can calculate. One bearing was pristine with greet looking clean (red) grease and the grease cap was intact (outer plug undamaged). The other three had warn grease (black/ gray) (not burnt), However the viscosity was very low, Steve had not see this before and he has been been repacking bearings sense he was ten learning how to from his dad - now 30 something. They were not burnt, No adverse smell, just the viscountcy was very off to him. It was thin and slick. He thought water contamination, but it was not milky, just a vert thin viscosity. It felt very strange to me - just slick and thin. The good news is all the bearings and races were excellent looking and the brakes were all good (he checked all the parts). Note on the three axles with this thin grease situation the out seal on the easy lube was broken. I taped them closed before he reinstalled the outer cap. I am going to order new outer plugs. They are normally sealed - makes me wonder if someone tried to add grease before delivery to me. I vaguely remember sked the dealer to verify the bearing grease before delivery.

Now one thing he does after the repack and before finalizing the hub completion is use the EZ- lube zerk and pomped maybe 6 pumps of grease in while spinning the hub to be sure the inner bearing has additional grease. I thought this was a rood procedure and i helped spin the drum as he pumped..

Anyway he cleaned every bearing with a towel - did not use a solvent - then hand repacked each bearing being careful to remove and contaminated (discolored) grease from the top. He did at least two revolutions. His bearing packager was filled with a different grease so he did not use it. He liked hand packing as he knew everything was done right.

He had a huge crescent wrench to do the preload, then backed off and did the hand tight, It was a first for him to see the castle retaining nut - used to the cotter pin but quickly understood how it worked and made sure all the prongs were bent into position correctly before installation..

As the dealer is just getting set up I had to loan him my rubber mallet (to seat bearing seal) and torque wrench . he made sure the lug bolts were done correctly. He was very malicious as to his work - no rush. He got a kick out of my Blue box install, but his biggest praise was my 5th wheel adapter for my tractor to move my unit.

So for now I am happy I had this done, especially what we found with the factory grease - Maybe I dodged an bullet.

Now a second plug to Summit Racing. As I knew I was going to used my Timken seals (made in Taiwan BTW) I ordered an additional set Late Tuesday - normal shipping - They arrived late today Thursday. What can I say and good price too. They fit like a glove too.

You folks were correct - this is in my wheelhouse. I am very confident I can do this - even on the road. I just need to watch and understand, I am going to get a 1 1/5 inch socket to do the preload as the nut is pretty recessed in the housing - tough to get a wrench on.

Now some questions

Any thoughts on what was found?
        He did use the Lucis (sp) Red and sticky? He really liked the grease and was going to recommend to the boss to switch over to only that.
        I plan to order and install new outer plugs and new castle retaining clips to have on hand.
        If you were doing the repack would you do anything different like clean the bearings with solvent and if so what solvent would you use?. Some of the videos say no to solvent as the trace left over can break down the grease.

Bottom line, including the $80 service trip charge and him being here 2.5 hours a $225 bill was very reasonable. I was expecting at least $240 ($60 a wheel) excluding the service call.plus Misc like grease, etc.

Now one important question that has not been answered, If I am checking hub temperatures - what are the numbers I should be seeing when shooting the wheel rim at the hub?

Thanks Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The only thing that I would do differently is when changing grease I use either Varsol (1st choice) or off road diesel to finish cleaning the hubs and bearings after wiping, then clean that well with brake cleaner as brake cleaner is designed to remove all residue contaminants.
          As far as temps, that is going to vary based on ambient temps, trailer weight, speed, and even to a certain point, the grease. What I would be concerned about is a marked variation in temps. One that is 25-30 degrees warmer would be a concern. If you have spoke wheels, checking the temp at the outer edge of the drum is also a good thing. It is an easy way to find a brake that is out of adjustment or just not working.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Yoda
            Hi Keith,

The thin grey grease is likely the original. LCI used to build this way but I though they had updated their production process. Do you have Lippert or Dexter axles? I would guess that the one hub with red grease had that added for some reason.

Comments on the process used . . . (since you asked):
            I would not add the pumps of grease through the zerk . . . completely unnecessary if the bearings have just been properly hand packed.
            Make sure that the spindle and new seal are well greased . . . no mention of this . . . maybe that's what the zerk pumps are supposed to accomplish?
            I would definitely clean the bearings with varsol and finish with brake cleaner as Jerry describes. Just cleaning with a rag does not get the old grease out from between the bearings.

It is often necessary to manually retract the shoes slightly to get the drum off. Was this part of the process? If so, the shoes should be readjusted to slight drag.

Rob

​​​​​​
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I wouldnt worry about buying spare retainer clips, the ones on the trailer are pretty robust and should last the life of the trailer, I have never seen one broken or damaged. (although I am sure its possible)
              I swear by the Lucas Red N Tacky, available almost everywhere in the U.S. (its even on sale at Rural king right now)
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Bearings can handle 70*C no problem...but...I have no idea what a 'good' temp reading is when shooting the outside of the hub with an IR gun. I only recently acquired one of those guns and so far have been getting readings consistently in the 37*C to 43*C range. This would be on 3 hour drives.

As for the packing job, I clean the bearings out completely with something like varsol. Then blow out with compressed air. My feeling is, I have it apart, so I might as well get ALL the old grease out.
                And I agree with Rob. I see no point in using the EZ-lube zerk immediately after doing a clean and repack.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

When I learned to pack bearings dad taught me to use Gasoline or varsol to completely get everythign out of the rollers / cage area (dirt and grit like to hide here). I've had to clean, air blow dry, and re-clean several bearings to ensure all the gunk and garbage was out. Setting the bearings in the sun for a few minutes will heat them slightly helping to out-gas any residual left behind before repacking.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Yoda
                    Hi Keith,

The thin grey grease is likely the original. LCI used to build this way but I though they had updated their production process. Do you have Lippert or Dexter axles? I would guess that the one hub with red grease had that added for some reason.

Comments on the process used . . . (since you asked):
                    I would not add the pumps of grease through the zerk . . . completely unnecessary if the bearings have just been properly hand packed.
                    Make sure that the spindle and new seal are well greased . . . no mention of this . . . maybe that's what the zerk pumps are supposed to accomplish?
                    I would definitely clean the bearings with varsol and finish with brake cleaner as Jerry describes. Just cleaning with a rag does not get the old grease out from between the bearings.

It is often necessary to manually retract the shoes slightly to get the drum off. Was this part of the process? If so, the shoes should be readjusted to slight drag.

Rob

​​​​​​
                    Good morning Rob

They are Dexter axles and the untouched grease was red and fairly thick. No brake adjustment was done, but all 4 wheels have some slight drag. How much drag should there be?

As he repacked he made sure any old grease was wiped away. By the time he was done I did not see any old residue.

When I do it next time I will be sure to use the varsol (if I can find it here). Everyone has mineral spirits or paint thinner, but not sure that is the same. I can find parts cleaner at NAPA. Comes in a gallon can with a built in basket. Just no listing under varsol.

Should I be concerned about anything now?

Thanks again
                    Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Varsol™ fluids are traditional solvents that are also known as mineral spirits or white spirits. Use what you can find that does not have oils in it. Diesel works, but follow up with something that will clean the residual oil and wax off.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hub Temperatures

Thanks everyone for the hub temp information. Converting from Canadian and what I read elsewhere it appears I should be OK in the 30 to 50 degrees F above ambient temperature. Does this sound correct? My neighbor said they should not be too hot to touch.

Thanks
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Yoda Varsol™ fluids are traditional solvents that are also known as mineral spirits or white spirits. Use what you can find that does not have oils in it. Diesel works, but follow up with something that will clean the residual oil and wax off.
                          Well I have plenty of died diesel (or regular LS). Is brake cleaner a good choice for the final rinse. I assume after cleaning I should let air dry a while. Dexter / Timpken / Lippert all say somewhere to not use compressed air to spin the bearings to clean. What about caned air (1,1-difluorethane (HCF-152-a) CAS#75-37-6) (no spinning)?

Thanks
                          Keith

Comment

Yoda Kieth, the reason they say not to spin with compressed air has to do with the speed. commpressed air will spin a bearing at an incredible RPM if not carefull I always hold the cage and race blowing between them to get the stuff out. This also helps push any residual up to be visible and let you know if it needs another cleaning. You can use Diesel (dies or road) then clean with preferably a non chlorinated brake cleaner. I would still allow a bit of time in the hear for it to off gas after blowing dry a second time. Also if the bearing is a bit warm it will not condensate (another reason they do not like compressed air).

For drying with compressed air, I blow parallel to the roller diameter and perpendicular while preventing spinning. You need to hold the rollers as they can spin between the cage and the race. I tend to hold the bearing in one hand with 3 fingers through the race and my index finger on the roller being dried. this holds everything from spinning. Once you do it, it will make sense. BTW been doing it this way for over 40 years. I cleaned many many bearings before being allowed to pack one. At one time I could get the grease packed tight enough you could almost not spin the race. If you do it by hand enough, it only takes a couple of minutes per bearing to grease one. Packers are nice, but not 100% necessary as you noticed with the mechanic that did yours.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                              New question - what size socket? Is it 1-1/2" or 1-7/16" or get both Dexter nut is 8750006 006-191-00 spindle jam nut 1" -14 fine thread. When I measured with my rough tape measure it was 1.5" across the flat, but I am finding reference to 1 7/16" Nut is recessed in the hub a bit and he had a tough time with an adjustable wrench. I want to have the correct socket to use with my 1/2" wrench.

Dexter mentions #84 spindle for 4400lb axle capacity in thier parts. Bearings match up with what we found J2B14 / L68149 inner and LM67048 outer as marked on the bearings.

Thanks
                              Keith

Comment

Yoda

I can't add much to what Joseph posted in #43 . . . you would think the he and I learned from the same guy . I would stay away from the soap based parts cleaners. I can see where residue from that might continue to degrade the grease. I have used the varsol and brake cleaner process for years. Cleaning with air is OK . . . if you follow what Joseph describes.

I recently took apart the hubs on a small cargo trailer that I built (from used parts) about 20 years ago. I know that I used the varsol/brake cleaner/ Redn'Tacky grease when I assembled it. This trailer had not seen a lot of miles . . . but untouched hubs since I built it . The grease was still red and the bearing and races were fine. The rear seals were so brittle that they came to pieces as I removed them.

Rob
                                Cate & Rob
                                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X