Install of new leaf springs and a hello from a long silent member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install of new leaf springs and a hello from a long silent member

Hello and good evening all. John Joscelyne (aka JJ) here.
    Been away from the forum for a while, no excuses, just haven't checked in.
    If reading the post tonight, grab ahold of your favorite beverage, if checking it out in the AM, breu some extra coffee, maybe a l o n g read. Sorry 😞
    Alright, 2015 Solitude 305RE ( discontinued in mid year 2016). Original tires from factory, Goodyear G614's. Replaced last year with Sailun S637.
    Trailer leans to left, heavy side.. Springs are original and 7 years old plus about 32500 miles on them.
    After several conversations with Brian (Country Camper) and online research and sitting on hold with Grand Design, Lippert and eTrailer, I ordered 4 new springs from eTrailer. 3500#, 24 7/8 , double eye, 6 leaf springs.
    Now the fun starts. Anyone replaced the springs them selves? After the usual Jack the rig up, put jack stands position, do I support both axels and remove all 4 wheels, and let both axels float, or do each axel separately.?? Do I separate spring and axel assembly from the rig (both sides) letting the axel and spring assembly float, or separate axel from springs and then remove springs from the equalizer (Morryde SRE4000) and spring hanger.?
    Also does anyone know what the torqued rating should be for the axel U bolts and hanger bolts.
    I am planning to reuse the U bolts , wet bolts, hanger bolts. I did order new bushings.
    Maybe not as long of a post as I thought.
    Thanks for reading and imparting your advice and kind wisdom .
    John Joscelyne

Originally posted by Joscelyne3 View Post
    ...Anyone replaced the springs them selves? After the usual Jack the rig up, put jack stands position, do I support both axels and remove all 4 wheels, and let both axels float, or do each axel separately.?? Do I separate spring and axel assembly from the rig (both sides) letting the axel and spring assembly float, or separate axel from springs and then remove springs from the equalizer (Morryde SRE4000) and spring hanger.? Also does anyone know what the torqued rating should be for the axel U bolts and hanger bolts.
    Cate&Rob (Rob) or several others are the right members to answer your questions--just wanted to respond and say "Hi!" and it was good to see your post.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Howard, thanks for the reply.
      Sorry you were not able to make it out to Tionesta COE last week, Was looking forward to seeing you, but understand. Wishing you positive thoughts and blessings.
      John

Comment

Hi John,

Welcome back! Your timing is impeccable . . . I just finished replacing the springs on one side of my Reflection (the cause for this is a longer discussion that I will get into in a separate thread) . . . so, this is fresh in my mind .

I keep the wheels on the ground on one side while I work on the other. This stabilizes the axles.
        This needs four jacks. Under the frame outboard of the spring hangers and under each axle on the side you are working on.
        Under the frame, I use large wooden cribs that have room for the hydraulic jack and a safety jack stand. (Don't work under a trailer on just hydraulic jacks)
        Keep the trailer as level as possible by lifting the axles, removing the wheels and then lowering the axles until the frame sits more-or-less level side-to-side on the outer jacks and the tires on the other side. Lifting one side of the trailer too high can overload the front landing gear on the other side.
        Remove one spring at a time. Loosen the spring eye bolts and the U bolts and lower the axle jack until the spring is "loose"
        Remove the fixed end eye bolt and the shackle plates & bolts to the equalizer. Then lift out the spring.
        The new spring will not likely have the same arch as the removed spring . . . this is where fitting the new spring takes a little "geometry". It will take raising/lowering the frame jacks, the jack under the axle you are working on and even the jack under the other axle to get everything lined up.
        Fasten the fixed end of the new spring first.
        Adjust the jacks until you can fit the shackle plates and bolts through the equalizer and spring eye.
        Now, fit the spring to the axle pad. You can usually shift the axle end (and jack) fore/aft manually, but it might need a pull strap to the other axle. Be careful that it doesn't slip off the jack that is holding it up.
        Raise the jack under the axle you are working on to get a firm fit between spring and axle pad and reinstall U bolts.

Sounds more complicated than it really is . . . hopefully the "detail" helps.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply and steps.
          I have some questions and thoughts but batteries running out on my tablet. Need to recharge.
          Will get back on tomorrow. Side note springs will get here next Monday ( the 9th).
          I have a good idea as to why you needed to replace the one side. Is it the heavy side πŸ€”
          O yea, it's good to be back on the group. Again, thanks
          John

Comment

Joscelyne3

Hello JJ!

Please do not reuse the U-bolts. Once used they will stretch the threads and my become less strong in the thread area. New ones should be fairly cheap in the long run.

Also make sure when re-installing the wet bolts to orient them in the 9 or 3 o'clock position , helps with greasing.

What size diameter are the u-bolts? This is needed for the proper torque spec.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi and good day Brian,
              just ordered the bolts a few minutes ago. Hopefully they get here the same time as the springs.
              Maybe springs on Friday.
              The U bolts are 1/2 inch diameter, 7 inches long, 3 inches round inside,
              Again, thanks for all the comments and advice.
              John

Comment

Joscelyne3 - John - good to hear from another long time GDRV owner. It has been a while since you were here and maybe longer on the old forum. We are blessed to have some very talented Moderators and many members here more than willing to help.

Good luck with your spring project.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Joscelyne3

JJ,

Sorry for adding more on but you should also replace the nuts on the wet bolts. These are a type that are factory crimped and one installed and torqued and removed they loose the important crimp. Also when installing the wet bolts it is important to make sure the serrated end is seated to full depth. When installing the nut for the wet bolts it seats against a shoulder and will not draw the bolt serrations completely into the hanger plate. You will want to slip the wet bolts in so the serrations align where they were previously.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                    Joscelyne3 - John - good to hear from another long time GDRV owner. It has been a while since you were here and maybe longer on the old forum. We are blessed to have some very talented Moderators and many members here more than willing to help.

Good luck with your spring project.

Dan
                    Hello and good day Dan, thanks for the welcome

Trying to keep my "vintage " Solitude running and trouble free as possible . That's why I am attempting the spring replacement. This is going way outside my comfort zone. But the connections I have made here on the forums and friendships I made at the rallies, I think I can handle it.

Yes, it's been awhile. I haven't been on the old forum in about a year and a half or 2 years. Since it is open to other manufacturers , I kinda lost interest in it.

We are very fortunate and blessed to have Jim, Brian, Rob, and Howard to keep us on track. And the other members (friends) to draw on their knowledge.

Been tracking the delivery of springs and other parts , looking like they'll be here over the weekend, should starting on the project Monday morning.

Again, thanks for the welcome back.
                    John γ€ŠJJ》

Comment

Welcome back JJ and it was nice meeting you. Remember after your done to re-check the U bolt torque after each trip and until they have stabilized. After this initial period, an occasional torque check can be done.

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome.
                        it was good to meet with you at Tionesta. Sorry you had to leave earlier then expected, did you get your issue resolved??
                        Thanks for the reminder to check the torque on the U bolts more frequently. I know Brian will keep on my butt about checking all the parts I am installing.
                        Again, thanks and be well and safe travels.
                        JJ

Comment

Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome.
                          it was good to meet with you at Tionesta. Sorry you had to leave earlier then expected, did you get your issue resolved??
                          Thanks for the reminder to check the torque on the U bolts more frequently. I know Brian will keep on my butt about checking all the parts I am installing.
                          Again, thanks and be well and safe travels.
                          JJ
                          Hi JJ,

I repaired the issue with a failed hose connection and am camping at Charles Mills Lake at this time in Ohio. My EMS has saved us here where the voltage levels are very low. I forced the fridge to gas and am only running the AC to keep us comfortable for sleeping.

Brian along with the other moderators are great resources.

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Hello and Happy weekend all.
                            So the parts are arriving, today, the springs, U bolts. One question, do I use the nylon bushings there are already in the springs, or should I replace them with brass bushings?? Waiting for the flange nuts for the wet bolts to get here.
                            Hoping to start tomorrow after I gather up a couple more jack stands, a scissor jack or two.
                            John

Comment

Hello and Happy weekend all.
                              So the parts are arriving, today, the springs, U bolts. One question, do I use the nylon bushings there are already in the springs, or should I replace them with brass bushings?? Waiting for the flange nuts for the wet bolts to get here.
                              Hoping to start tomorrow after I gather up a couple more jack stands, a scissor jack or two.
                              John
                              JJ

You will more than likely get more life out of brass bushings. Rob has just done springs on one side of his 303 and found them wore out after 20,000 miles , these were brass bushings, the thread is here somewhere.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X