Bronze Bushing Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The relatively thin walled soft bronze bushing easily deforms into the gap where the end of the spring wraps back around on itself to form the eye. A steel backed bushing would be stronger, but there is not room for this between the ID of the spring eye and the OD of the bolt. Unless we can find springs with a larger eye diameter . . . there is not going to be a way to create a more durable assembly.

Rob
    Agree Rob,

The springs need a design change now that greaseable options are available.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I agree that a steel bushing would be better. But, with the relatively thin wall space available, I don’t think that even these would last very long. What we need (to start with) are springs with bigger eyes to allow thicker bushings.

Rob
      I realize that this is an old thread but I wanted to add my comments. I replaced the shackle bolts and equalizer with Moreryde parts a few days ago. I have roughly 4000 miles on the trailer. All nylon bushings except one were in good shape. The bushing on the street side rear spring hanger had worn through. Surprisingly. When I inserted the brass bushing I did this with my thumb and did not need to press it in using a c-clamp as I did the others.

The spring eye was checked for being out of round and it was. The hanger support bolt was also worn in one position. It appears that both the nylon bushing and the bolt stayed and wore in one position. I think the top rear of the spring.

An observation is that when I back up that rear wheel must take a lot of stress from the diagonal directional motion. After reading this thread I am also concluding that the eye of the spring was likely defective and out of round at the factory.

On etrailer's website there is a video of the installation of the Moreryde 33. In the video, the tech notes that if the bushing inserts without pressing that the spring should be replaced as it is worn out at that end. I did replace the Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. There was no abnormal wear on the Westlakes as they appeared relatively new.

Hopefully my experience might solicit some new comments. I will monitor the rear hangers and if and when I note excessive wear in the future I might be tempted to also replace both rear springs (they have to be replaced as a set).
      Pierre & Tara
      2021 Imagine 2600RB
      2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
      1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Working...
      X