Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 GD 2400BH Leaf Spring Specs

Hi all,

I’ve got an issue with the passenger side leaf springs. We’ve been full time for just about 4 months now and about a month ago I started noticing that the trailer seemed to be listing to the passenger side. After moving everything heavy to the other side had little effect, I finally ended my procrastination today and did an inspection. That side’s leaf springs are nearly flat and almost the dreaded w shape. Does anyone know the specs on a replacement leaf spring? The axles are Dexter 3500# P/N 4440558. Not sure what to order without that info. Thanks.
    Pete and Dana
    2020 GD 2400BH
    2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 6.2L Gasser
    Full-Time as of 4/30/21

Pete - Spring sag on one side is a common problem with many different models. It's usually the galley side which is quite a bit heavier. Maybe Rob Cate&Rob will weigh in on his observations of this over the years. He actually installed a heavier spring on one side of his Reflection FW.

i know you have 1,750# springs, but Dexter offers several different versions. It might be worthwhile to give their product info line a call to get the right part numbers. 574-295-7888

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

@TucsonJim…. As always, great and useful info. I’ll give them a call tomorrow or Monday.
      Pete and Dana
      2020 GD 2400BH
      Full-Time as of 4/30/21

Comment

Originally posted by Pete B View Post
        Hi all,

I’ve got an issue with the passenger side leaf springs. We’ve been full time for just about 4 months now and about a month ago I started noticing that the trailer seemed to be listing to the passenger side. After moving everything heavy to the other side had little effect, I finally ended my procrastination today and did an inspection. That side’s leaf springs are nearly flat and almost the dreaded w shape. Does anyone know the specs on a replacement leaf spring? The axles are Dexter 3500# P/N 4440558. Not sure what to order without that info. Thanks.
        If you look on the axle for the tag with Dexters information and contact them they can give you a built sheet for the axle with all the information you need (springs, axle, bearings, hub etc). You want the Dexter part/ serial numbers off the stick on label. Take a photo of both and send to them.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete B View Post
          Hi all,

Hi Pete,

Spring "loaded arch height" has been discussed in detail in several threads on this forum. If you enter "spring arch height" into the search tool in the upper right corner, you will find lots of reading material on this subject! The first step is to accurately measure this spring arch at all four locations. Start with this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...imum-clearance (particularly post #5 and its attachments)

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks all
            Pete and Dana
            2020 GD 2400BH
            Full-Time as of 4/30/21

Comment

Pete B

Hey Pete
              I'm gathering background information for my upcoming CRE3000 and shackle installation*, including if other 2400BH users have needed to upgrade their springs, or had previous spring issues that I should be aware of while I have everything taken apart. So with that, just wondering did you replace yours? If so, any insights to share including what springs you used, lessons learned, etc?

I don't think my springs are in need of replacement, and I plan to do the measurements of my loaded springs that Rob has provided above to confirm that. But again, hearing what others have encountered can't hurt!

*Just a heads up to everyone on the forum, expect a panicky post from me in about April / Early May titled 'Help, what have I done to my suspension!?' ​​​​​​​​​​​​
              2019 Imagine 2400BH
              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

StephenO
                Hi Stephen,

Not to reiterate what has been discussed (at length ) in previous threads, but several of us have been at this "spring thing" for quite a while . Don't hesitate to ask any questions that come to mind. Remember that a "perfect" spring uses all of its travel to absorb road inputs to give the trailer as smooth a ride as possible. It is a common error to go to stronger springs . . . thinking that this "strengthens" the suspension . . . with the end result being that the trailer and its contents get a rougher ride.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  StephenO
                  Hi Stephen,

Not to reiterate what has been discussed (at length ) in previous threads, but several of us have been at this "spring thing" for quite a while . Don't hesitate to ask any questions that come to mind. Remember that a "perfect" spring uses all of its travel to absorb road inputs to give the trailer as smooth a ride as possible. It is a common error to go to stronger springs . . . thinking that this "strengthens" the suspension . . . with the end result being that the trailer and its contents get a rougher ride.

Rob
                  Thanks Rob! I am sure I will have lots of questions as I get closer to starting my Morryde install, and I actually have one that I haven't seen talked about on the forum before, or at least not that I could find through searching. In the interest of searchability in the future, I will put it in another thread though. Stay tuned

Like I said in my post above, I plan to take a close look at the springs on our trailer and make sure they are in good shape before I start the Morrdye install. After all, when changing the bolts and equalizer, it's only a few more bolts / steps to change the springs right? .....Right? I have though heeded your warning that you have listed here and in other threads, that bigger is not bigger when it comes to springs.

Thanks again, and I know I am in good hands with this group!
                  Last edited by StephenO; 01-30-2022, 07:55 PM.
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Working...
                  X