Noisy Leaf Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Leaf Springs

This is a brand new Transcend 200MK, purchased a week ago. Trailer has a build date of Aug 2021. We bought it from a dealer in Colton, CA (Riverside).

I've spent the past few days going over the trailer in detail, looking for problems. I've only found a handful of problems so far, and am fully pleased with the build quality. We will take it out for a first-time camp next week.

One of the problems is a loud banging sound coming from the wheel area during slow speed turns. It sounds like a length of chain banging against the metal side of the trailer. I climbed under the trailer to look especially at the wheels and suspension components. I see that one of the four leaf spring rebound clips is off the spring stack completely and able to be moved easily by hand. I moved the clip back onto the spring stack and worked it into normal position, about a half inch from the end of the shorter spring. The other three clips are not in an ideal position, either, but they are all three doing their duty of managing spring movements.

I haven't had time yet to take the trailer out for a test to see if the clanging sound is gone. I will do that soon. My question is for anyone that has knowledge and experience with these types of leaf springs, and the rebound clips. Can anyone shed more light on this spring design?

Ruth and Patrick
    2022 Transcend 200MK
    2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Originally posted by KrustyKush View Post
    This is a brand new Transcend 200MK, purchased a week ago. Trailer has a build date of Aug 2021. We bought it from a dealer in Colton, CA (Riverside).

I've spent the past few days going over the trailer in detail, looking for problems. I've only found a handful of problems so far, and am fully pleased with the build quality. We will take it out for a first-time camp next week.

One of the problems is a loud banging sound coming from the wheel area during slow speed turns. It sounds like a length of chain banging against the metal side of the trailer. I climbed under the trailer to look especially at the wheels and suspension components. I see that one of the four leaf spring rebound clips is off the spring stack completely and able to be moved easily by hand. I moved the clip back onto the spring stack and worked it into normal position, about a half inch from the end of the shorter spring. The other three clips are not in an ideal position, either, but they are all three doing their duty of managing spring movements.

I haven't had time yet to take the trailer out for a test to see if the clanging sound is gone. I will do that soon. My question is for anyone that has knowledge and experience with these types of leaf springs, and the rebound clips. Can anyone shed more light on this spring design?
    Most likely the loud banging is the spring shifting from one side of the hanger to the other during tight turning maneuvers. You'll notice the hangers are much wider than the spring itself. No issue will occur from this abrupt motion of the spring.

The other possibility which I have also experienced is the way GDRV welds their safety chains on the front of the tongue. In tight maneuvers the chain welded to the frame will bind on my Equalizer hitch and will shave some metal off the Equalizer as a result.

Jim

Comment

When my unit was delivered to Arizona, several of the plastic suspension bushings were already worn out. This allows for metal on metal contact which can also cause some popping noises. I disassembled the suspension upon delivery and took pictures of the bushings. I'm posting a representative sample below.

As or the rebound clip. The OEM clips are basically nothing more than to keep the spring pack in one piece before assembly. There are aftermarket clips which are much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0729.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	65046
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you springs have wet bolts lube them.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

KrustyKush: Regarding the rebound clips - we had one of our four clips come undone/loose during our first 1000 mile trip. See photo. Bent it back and locked the tab, but then installed square u-bolts with locking nuts to hold the clips in their positions. About 1000 miles on this set up and they have not moved even though we trailered the rough Interstates I-95 and I-26 in SC and then I-77 in WV. The locking nuts on the square bolts are NOT overly tight - in fact you can move them just a little, but again after the rough ride heading north the clips are in their correct positions.

Name:	494A5408-F68A-4415-A7DC-7B62150A0D43.jpeg
Views:	546
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	65071Click image for larger version

Name:	A4FC8B8F-94C8-4B7B-88B8-1575075E83D6.jpeg
Views:	555
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	65072
          Chuck & Vicki
          2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
          VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
          2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Thanks so much for the great replies. This is my first experience with leaf springs. Our previous trailer didn't have leaf springs (Airstream).

We're taking the new trailer out for a first camp next week. After that, a return to the dealer shop to address the handful of things that need attention including, I'm sure, the leaf springs and the traveling rebound clips.

Chuck and Vicki, I like your clamp solution. If the dealer shop can't make it better, I will try that. The pic shows disc brakes and looks like ABS at that. Is that your trailer brakes? Or your truck?
            Ruth and Patrick
            2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              If you springs have wet bolts lube them.
              Yoda, are you referring to the bolts that mount the spring assemblies to the trailer brackets on each end?

Ruth and Patrick
              2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

Yoda, are you referring to the bolts that mount the spring assemblies to the trailer brackets on each end?
                Yes - see first picture in post #5. Zerk is covered in dust, There are also zerks on the midpoint attachment too.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks so much for the great replies. This is my first experience with leaf springs. Our previous trailer didn't have leaf springs (Airstream).

We're taking the new trailer out for a first camp next week. After that, a return to the dealer shop to address the handful of things that need attention including, I'm sure, the leaf springs and the traveling rebound clips.

Chuck and Vicki, I like your clamp solution. If the dealer shop can't make it better, I will try that. The pic shows disc brakes and looks like ABS at that. Is that your trailer brakes? Or your truck?
                  Those are the disk brakes on our Momentum 320G. We upgraded to the 8,000 lb axles w/ disk brakes option.
                  Chuck & Vicki
                  2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

On my first trip with my new trailer, one of the rebound clips on the front spring fell off on the road, and the other one on the other front spring looked like the first picture in post #5. I had the trailer in for some warranty work, and they replaced both of the front springs. Did a 3K mile trip with the trailer last month, and one of the front rebound clips is again looking like that picture in post #5. I re-clamped the clip back, and plan on replacing all the clips with better ones. The aftermarket ones have the dimple on the one side of them to match the spring, and will not slide out of position. Most auto parts stores have them, or online, and they are not that much in price.
                    2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                    2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Yes - see first picture in post #5. Zerk is covered in dust, There are also zerks on the midpoint attachment too.
                      Our Momentum 320G has a total of 14 zerk fittings on the suspension pivot points, 7 on each side. After the first 1000 mile trip on the new rig, I cleaned each of them and greased all 14 using Lucas Red & Tacky grease and a LocknLube grease gun.
                      Chuck & Vicki

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                        When my unit was delivered to Arizona, several of the plastic suspension bushings were already worn out. This allows for metal on metal contact which can also cause some popping noises. I disassembled the suspension upon delivery and took pictures of the bushings. I'm posting a representative sample below.

As or the rebound clip. The OEM clips are basically nothing more than to keep the spring pack in one piece before assembly. There are aftermarket clips which are much better.

Name:	DSC_0729.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	65046
                        Thank you Jim. My 200MK must have the same dry bushings in the leaf springs are yours, since I see no zerks fittings anywhere.

Since you did this work yourself, and since I am also a DIY who likes to know where things are and how to fix them myself, could you tell me your procedure for removing the springs? I assume they must be relaxed or compressed to take pressure off the bolts.

Also, was anything special needed to press the bushings out, and install new ones?

Thanks
                        Ruth and Patrick
                        2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

Thank you Jim. My 200MK must have the same dry bushings in the leaf springs are yours, since I see no zerks fittings anywhere.

Since you did this work yourself, and since I am also a DIY who likes to know where things are and how to fix them myself, could you tell me your procedure for removing the springs? I assume they must be relaxed or compressed to take pressure off the bolts.

Also, was anything special needed to press the bushings out, and install new ones?

Thanks
                          Good morning,

Spring and bushing changes aren't too tough for a DIY'er. Here's the procedure I follow:

1. Connect the tow vehicle for safety.
                          2. Jack up the trailer via the frame to take the pressure off the suspension. Be sure to use jack stands and cribbing to safely secure the trailer.
                          3. Remove the tires.
                          4. Using jack stands or blocks of wood, support the axles so they won't drop to the ground.
                          5. Remove the nuts on the shackle bolts. The bolts have splines and may be difficult to remove. I use a block of wood to tap them out.
                          6. Once the shackles are free, remove the nuts and bolts on the spring ends.
                          7. Reverse this procedure to put it all back together.

All those plastic bushings should push right out.

If your budget allows, I'd suggest you replace the equalizer, shackles and bushings with products from MorRyde. If you're interested in doing this, we can help you with parts selection.

Here's a photo of my suspension before and after I changed to MorRyde.

Name:	DSC_0719.JPG
Views:	707
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	65212

Name:	DSC_0736.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	65213

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Excellent instructions from TucsonJim . I might add to use a backup wrench when removing the nuts on the shackle bolts. This will help preserve the integrity of the splines. I didn't know this when I did mine, but fortunately I don't feel I did any damage.

Secondly, preferably use an automotive floor jack to support the axles. Reason being you may need to slightly lower or raise to relieve pressure when removing or inserting the bolts.
                            2020 Reflection 273MK
                            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Thank you all. In a couple of weeks I'll know more. Hopefully the dealer shop can resolve this without my having to do much of anything but take the trailer to them. This seems like a good shop, so I have my hopes up.

We are loving the trailer so far.
                              Ruth and Patrick
                              2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

Working...
                              X