Imagine XLS 22RBE-Axle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine XLS 22RBE-Axle problems

I called Grand Design to find if the bending (downward) of the rear axle on the tandem axle is a common problem due to the axle capacity (3000 lbs). The service advisor said to reach out to the forum to see if this is a problem. I know of 2 people with the same model (Imagine XLS 22RBE), one a year older, had severe inside wear on the back tires and had a bent rear axle (crown downward). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

Originally posted by Mcostanza View Post
    I called Grand Design to find if the bending (downward) of the rear axle on the tandem axle is a common problem due to the axle capacity (3000 lbs). The service advisor said to reach out to the forum to see if this is a problem. I know of 2 people with the same model (Imagine XLS 22RBE), one a year older, had severe inside wear on the back tires and had a bent rear axle (crown downward). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Center crown should be up. Find a good frame and axle shop. Sounds like you need a new axle, or axles. Have you ever weighed your rig ready to go?. If replacing axles consider an upsizing. Again a good frame/alignment suspension place can advise.

BTW an axle should never be bent back into crown - never!!!! - only replaced.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Mcostanza Welcome to the forum and the Family!.

When you get a chance, check out the forum welcome letter which will hopefully make your forum usage a little easier.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I have he same problem on my 2019 22RBE that I have not yet fixed. After 8000 miles rear tires have excessive negative camber and excessive uneven wear. Never abused, not overweight, weight distributed properly between axles.
        2019 22RBE, 2001 HR DP

Comment

Mcostanza bikedave

I have reached out to Grand Design to see if they have any input on this issue. Being as there are 2 owners with a possible issue this warrants a closer look.

​​​​​​​Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Just curious if this problem is common and/or resolved as we are contemplating either a 17MKE or a 22RBE (leaning more towards the 22RBE at this point). I'm a little concerned that there are axle issues.
            Looking at 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by The Drakes View Post
              Just curious if this problem is common and/or resolved as we are contemplating either a 17MKE or a 22RBE (leaning more towards the 22RBE at this point). I'm a little concerned that there are axle issues.
              The original posters with the problem have not been back to let us know if it was resolved and/or how. I have not heard of any others with this type of issue.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The Drakes

Looking through the Grand Design Parts lookup page for the 22RBE, it looks like there have been a few of changes in the axles over model years...

The 2019 model years lists only one axle type202020212022
                • 120227 - 3500# axles
                  (same as above)
                Lots of items there, but you can see somewhere in the 2020 series of 22RBE, they changed from 3000# axles to 3500#, so if you are looking at that series of trailer, just don't by shy and crawl under the unit to see what axles it has. However, if it's a newer model year, it will likely have the 3500# axles, and not the 3000# axles listed in the original post. I don't recall hearing any issues with the 3500# axles, other than the units that were equipped with the 2-3/8" beam, and not the 3". There was a similar transition in axles used for the Imagine 2400BH (and others I would have to assume) where they changed from 3500# 2-3/8" beam to 3500# 3" beam.
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Hello, we purchased an Imagine XLS 22 RBE in May 2019. I tow it with a 1/2 ton GMC Sierra using a Blue Ox Weight Distribution hitch.

In total i have pulled the trailer just over 28,000 km.

During recent trips I noticed the camber of the rear axle to off riding on the interior edge of the tires. The profile of the rear tire wasn’t perpendicular to the ground. I only noticed this while stopping for gas on uneven pavement. I just figured it was the angle of the pavement. I have never hit any curbs or gone over any ditches.

We are always very careful with our weight always pumping out our tanks before leaving campsites.

On May 16th, 2022 we were driving home from Florida and upon entering a gas station realized I had a flat tire on the rear axle of the trailer. On examination I noticed the interior edge of the trailer tire was worn down to the belt and deflated. The opposing tire also had some interior wear.

This occurred on empty black/gray and fresh water tanks. Our food had been exhausted so the trailer was lighter than ever. We did spend that date and the previous navigating curiving roads in Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Upon reading other entries it became obvious to me that other owners have had identical problems.

I find it concerning that the GVWR is 6395 lbs and the dual axle capacity is 3000 lbs.

It is apparent that the 3000 lbs axles were under capacity and should not have been installed on this trailer.

As someone researched Grand Design noticed the deficiency and upgraded the axle to a stronger 3500 lbs

Is this covered inder my 3 Year Warranty as its a structural defect/design oversight.

Thank you.

Mark & Benita
                  Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking through the Grand Design Parts lookup page for the 22RBE, it looks like there have been a few of changes in the axles over model years...

The 2019 model years lists only one axle type202020212022
                  • 120227 - 3500# axles
                    (same as above)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark & Benita View Post
                    Is this covered inder my 3 Year Warranty as its a structural defect/design oversight.

Thank you.
                    Hey Mark - Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, check out the welcome letter for new members and be sure to complete your signature with your model information, it saves you from having to type it out each time, and helps others know what RV you're working with.

To answer your question about this being covered under the three year warranty, that would be a question best for Grand Design directly. I would suggest you contact the customer service center with some photos of the axle and tires, and see what they can do for you. Perhaps this would even be covered under the 5 year axle warranty.

Again, welcome!
                    2019 Imagine 2400BH
                    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

This issue occurred in the older 2600RB models with 3500lb axles where they were upgraded to 4400lb axles at around 2019 to prevent tire contact with the floor. Older models should have been recalled but that never happened. This has left some of us questioning the higher quality claims where initial service and lasting quality are two different entities.

Jim

Comment

I kept a close eye on the 2600RB while we owned it for the 2+ years. After I heard about people having issues I took a series of pics showing the axle to floor measurements so I would have a reference point. Fortunately it stayed pretty stable.
                        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Mark & Benita Hi Mark welcome to the forum, you have gotten some great advice so far. Only Grand Design or your dealer would be able to tell you if it is covered, I would suggest reaching out to them. If you are looking for advice on how to change out the axles let us know, there are many on here that would be glad to help with the process.

Also its the normal in the industry (whether its a good idea or not is up for debate) to include the tongue weight in the GVWR of the trailer, so two 3,000 pound axles plus tongue weight would equal the GVWR. The real question would be to weigh the trailer (ideally per wheel) and see if you are over any of your axle weights.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                            I kept a close eye on the 2600RB while we owned it for the 2+ years. After I heard about people having issues I took a series of pics showing the axle to floor measurements so I would have a reference point. Fortunately it stayed pretty stable.
                            Not sure what year you had but the 2600RB Imagine was updated to 4400lb axles, 2200lb springs, E rated tires, and 6 lug wheels. I monitored mine as well where one inch lift blocks were installed to keep the proper clearance that today the 4400lb axles and 2200lb springs exhibit.

Jim

Comment

It was a 2018 with the Dexter 3500# axles with 3" tubes
                              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                              X