Goodyear 614 tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodyear 614 tires

Any experience with Goodyear 614 tires for heavy Solitude? Need to replace Westlake g rates tires.

Originally posted by Agb2169 View Post
    Any experience with Goodyear 614 tires for heavy Solitude? Need to replace Westlake g rates tires.
    The GY 614 is a truck tire. A truck tire will be designed for tractive effort (propulsion, braking and such) and will not be designed for trailers. As a result, you would be better off with a dedicated trailer tire made for the unique loads placed on the tire by the trailer.

Jim

Comment

x2 on Guest Jim's advice. Truck tires like the GY614 were the only viable alternative some 15 or 20 years ago when trailer tire quality was terrible. Today's tires designed for trailer applications are a much better choice. A major difference is the sidewall construction of a trailer tire, designed to take the turning loads experienced by trailer tires, particularly in tandem or tri axle applications.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Goodyear makes the G614 in a trailer tire series. It would be an excellent choice. Goodyear G614 RST

https://www.prioritytire.com/goodyea...SABEgIYcfD_BwE

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...r-g614/p/31405

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.ca/ti...13922909900000

Hope this helps
        Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda
          Good info Keith! I did not know about the G614 RST.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Yoda
            Good info Keith! I did not know about the G614 RST.

Rob
            The only reason I knew is I ran across them researching my Goodyear Endurance replacement tires. Just did not need the G rating. Speed rating is 75MPH
            BTW - I can no longer find the G614 truck tire that you mentioned and I know existed - all RST now.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Agb2169 View Post
              You may want to look at these Continental HTL2 Eco Plus trailer tires. Meant more for equipment trailers. Big Truck Big RV had 4 of these installed on his 5th wheel. Seems that they would work very well for a heavy 5th wheel.
              Mike & Lisa
              Central Florida
              2021 Imagine 2970RL
              1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Nice find Keith,

I learned something new today...thank you.

Jim

Comment

In 2010 when I started Carlisle was the china bomb of choice for 5th wheels. After blowing several I put Goodyear G614 tires and never looked back. When my Westlakes blew, I replaced all 6 with Goodyear G614's, guess what, no problems.

To say that I am a fan of G614's on my 5th wheel is an understatement. Doesn't mean I have not had flats with them. Nails and bolts, had one start to separate. I am pretty sure that one caught a curb. Run a heavy trailer for a few thousand miles in 110f heat and you will find out how good your tires are. While not perfect, IMHO they are a very dependable tire and worth the cost.

I have read a lot of tire threads. The Sailuns have become quite popular, and the Endurance is popular also. Nobody ever posts the conditions that they run their tires, weight, distance, temperature, speed. I pull my Momentum around 25,000 miles per year. I drive at 60mph. Each tire is loaded around 2800lbs. Temps change subzero to triple digit. Altitude 0-12,000.

Sometimes we like to boodock. That means we are running the tires over rocks, branches, dips, dirt roads, etc. I have locked the trailer tires up with emergency stops too many times.

The G614's stand up to all of that.

They are made for trailers. If you go to the Goodyear RV sight and look them up you find this in one of their brochures. Notice the "Recommended Application" on the right side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GY614.JPG
Views:	570
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	67045

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                  2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                  E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                  Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Goodyear G614 RST is all we run on our Solitude, not one tire failure (2016)

Comment

I put Goodyear G614 tires on my 337. It was the only tire on my RV that I ever owned that didn't fail on me. But they were only 20 months old when the trailer went to the junk yard heaven...
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

And some long timer GDRV owners may recall that GDRV offered GY 614s as an option on Solitudes (I do not recall if for Momentums) for maybe a year or so as I recall. The pricing up charge was pretty substantial thus very, very few owners ordered them. Not sure any dealers did order for their own inventory. GDRV nixed this option as a result.

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                          And some long timer GDRV owners may recall that GDRV offered GY 614s as an option on ...
                          Dan
                          It was an option on my 2017 Momentum, but I was sticker sensitive by the time I got to the tire option. I was spending way more money than I was comfortable spending, so I stayed with the Westlake's that came standard, it only cost me $3500 in repairs from a blow out 7 months later...

There are no right answers only decisions to be made, each decision will take us down a different path in life.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                          2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                          E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                          Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
                          X