Wheel Balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Balance

We've got a few hundred miles on our new 2022 200MK and all seems well, with exception of two or three minor items that we will take to the dealer shop next month.

Yesterday, I adjusted the brakes. While doing so, I noticed that there are no balance weights on any of the wheels. Plainly, these wheels have not been balanced. You don't see many wheel/tire combinations that are perfectly balanced as they are.

I wonder if this is the common practice on travel trailers? I don't notice any vibration, but then I probably wouldn't in any case, from within the truck.

Should I assume that wheel balance is a luxury not practiced at the factory, and put my wheels on a jig to balance them?

Or should I assume that it doesn't matter enough?

Thanks
    Ruth and Patrick
    2022 Transcend 200MK
    2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

KrustyKush
    Hi Ruth and Patrick,

You are correct that the tires are not balanced from the factory. Any rotating thing can benefit from balancing. When I replaced my tires, I had the new ones balanced. They took a modest amount of weight to do this and I cannot feel any difference from the drivers seat. I still think that balancing the wheels/tires is a good thing to do . . . and, is often included when you purchase new tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

KrustyKush , I just read an article in the September 2021 issue of RV Magazine on tow vehicle and trailer tires. There was a box titled 'Balancing Acts' that spoke to balancing trailer tires. Here is what it said, "Balancing also applies to trailer tires and it's just as important as with the tow vehicle. There's no one riding in the trailer to notice the shaking but out-of-balance trailer tires wear out axle bearings, suspension components, and wear out tread rubber at a much faster rate. That shaking is transmitted to the RV body and can cause all sorts of vibration-induced problems like cabinet joint failure, structural failures and so in. Have your trailer tires balanced and it will pay off handsomely on the end."

I recently had GY Endurance installed at Discount Tire. By default they did not balance them. When the technician brought our the first tire I asked if he balanced it. He said no, they usually don't balance trailer tires. I told him I paid for balancing so I want each one balanced. Which they did. You have to watch them.

If you are pulling a cargo trailer around town probably not a big deal. I just completed a 3,838 mile trip to New Hampshire and back to Florida. A trip that I'm glad I had balanced tires for.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Thanks. I'll get them balanced. I've got a static jig that I've used for years on motorcycle wheels and smaller car wheels. The wheels on this trailer are pretty small, and are steel wheels with a thin wall that may not work on my jig. I'll pull the spare off and see if I can do that one. If not, I'll take the trailer to a tire shop.
        Ruth and Patrick
        2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

It would also be a good idea to spin them and make sure they are round. You can balance a football (American) but it will not ride good or wear good. Any trailer pulled over 40 to 45mph should have the tires balanced.
          2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
          Traded 2021 Reflection 337
          2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
          Formerly M&K337

Comment

I realize its all about money but I never saw the reasoning for not balancing RV tires/wheels. The amount of trauma that an out of balance assembly would cause is huge.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I would also assume your TPMS sensor should be on the wheels when balancing. The instructions on mine say it's not necessary but if you're gonna balance anyway, I'd think the sensors should be on the wheel. Anyone disagree?

Terry
              Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
              2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
              2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

My static balance jig that I've used for years on motorcycle wheels (and some smaller car wheels) won't work on these thin wall steel wheels that GD uses on this trailer. The adapters won't quite fit such a thin wall. I agree with all who say a wheel must be as close to balanced as possible, knowing that there is no "perfection" but just closeness. These wheels don't spin at 100 mph, but at 70 mph I'm sure balance becomes an issue.

I think I'm gonna buy a bubble balancer. Looks like a good way to get into closer balance without having to haul the wheels in to a shop. The shop guys may have a $4k balance machine, but at 72 years I've developed a distrust of the operators of these machines. Gonna keep on doing it myself. Unlike the shop guys, I'm in no hurry. The bubble rig looks like it will get the job done cheaply, if not without a lot of work. Harbor Freight, here I come!
                Ruth and Patrick
                2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

You may want to consider Centramatic wheel balancers. They will work with the stock drum brakes. No model is made for disk brakes. https://www.centramatic.com/
                  Jon & Melanie Nichols
                  Dover, DE
                  2019 Solitude 372WB-R
                  2023 GMC

Comment

Interesting. I'd never heard of this type of balancer.
                    Ruth and Patrick
                    2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

I balanced my wheels using a Harbor Freight bubble balance rig. All four wheels needed between 3 and 3.5 oz of weight to get them balanced. I also replaced the two-piece lug nuts with better quality solid nuts.

Ruth and Patrick
                      2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

KrustyKush

It would be interesting to check one or more of the wheels balanced with the static bubble balance on a dynamic balance machine. More than 3 oz seems like a lot . . . even for a trailer tire. My Maxxis tires on the OE aluminum trailer rims were dynamically balanced and required between 1/2 and 2 oz each.

Rob
                        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-21-2021, 09:58 PM.
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with trkester about having the TPMS sensors attached while the wheels are being balanced. They are defiantly heavy enough to affect the balance.
                          Mike and (RIP Karen)
                          2021 2600RB
                          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post
                            I would also assume your TPMS sensor should be on the wheels when balancing. The instructions on mine say it's not necessary but if you're gonna balance anyway, I'd think the sensors should be on the wheel. Anyone disagree?

Terry
                            Makes no noticeable difference if balancing with or without the TPMS sensors installed on the valve stem. They typically weigh at or less than a half ounce. If folks are towing at 80+ mph (hope they do not) it may be advantageous to balance with the TPMS sensor installed.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2021, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              KrustyKush

It would be interesting to check one or more of the wheels balanced with the static bubble balance on a dynamic balance machine. More than 3 oz seems like a lot . . . even for a trailer tire. My Maxxis tires on the OE aluminum trailer rims were dynamically balanced and required between 1/2 and 2 oz each.

Rob
                              Yes it would be interesting... however, I don't trust the kids who operate these machines. I also start with the assumption that the machines are not well maintained, and mostly out of whack. I wish I had access to a known-good machine. I'm not crazy about this bubble balance rig. Another assumption I make is that no tire/wheel combo comes perfectly balanced except by happenstance, and that is rare. Which is why I wonder why GD puts out these trailers with unbalanced wheels. Maybe they figure most people are not going to do 70 mph in these rigs, such that wheel balance doesn't matter much.

In any case, as far as I can tell, my trailer is running smooth. Nothing inside is coming apart. Yet.
                              Ruth and Patrick
                              2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

Working...
                              X