Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New and Improved Spring Hanger Failure!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New and Improved Spring Hanger Failure!

    Leave it to me to be posting about a new type damage mechanism. I read 17 pages of suspension problems posts and this is a new one! We headed to Orlando last week from Tennessee on our first out of state trip in our new 2021 Solitude 310GK-R (standard 7K axles). I noticed at a rest stop north of Atlanta the RV was listing slightly to the curb side. Investigation found the center spring hanger bent inboard about 20 degrees. I crawled under and removed sealant around the coroplast and was suprised to find no cracked welds; the lower I beam flange was actually bent! I wont bore you with the long sad story of what we did, but the short version is we had a Truck/RV Repair Shop try to straighten it, were marginally successful, and continued our trip without further movement of the bent frame.
    Obviously the V braces added by Lippert solved the hanger cracking issue, but moved the weak point to the frame itself. The odd part is I do not know what caused it; obviously a large pothole or too hard a turn or ??. The only thing that looks odd on the design is there is no gusset between the I beam flange and web on the inside like there is on the outside. I will be stripping the springs and rocker off in the next few days and see what I can do to correct the bent flange and web. I am so disappointed at this point with the design I am seriously considering the Morryde IS. If not, I will definitely be reinforcing the frame and adding cross braces to all 3 hangers. And BTW, I did open a claim with GD just in case and I did weigh the rig the next day to ensure not overloaded. Comments welcome.
    Larry & Angie from Dayton, TN
    2021 Solitude 310-GK w/ Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Dually

  • #2
    Sorry to see that chattacuda . That looks like a doozy! Not sure if you are aware, but MORryde makes the x-factor drop-down cross member that goes between the center equalizers. I am guessing that cross brace would have prevented this. Maybe someone that has installed it can chime in.

    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...de/MR84AR.html
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
      Sorry to see that chattacuda . That looks like a doozy! Not sure if you are aware, but MORryde makes the x-factor drop-down cross member that goes between the center equalizers. I am guessing that cross brace would have prevented this. Maybe someone that has installed it can chime in.

      https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...de/MR84AR.html
      Yes I read about those on several of the posts here. From what I read they don't fit on the newer hanger designs that have the v brace welded on the hangers. It appears they were designed to address the hanger base material and weld failures that existed before the V brace design improvement. I agree this type cross brace may have prevented my issue. Its just a shame we have to buy or install these aftermarket fixes on a 2021 design. Thanks for the input for sure. If I dont go with the IS system I will definitely weld in cross braces on all three locations
      Larry & Angie from Dayton, TN
      2021 Solitude 310-GK w/ Generator
      2017 Ram 3500 Dually

      Comment


      • #4
        chattacuda

        I have seen something similar to this caused by a curb impact at highway speed, but this caused all three hangers on the one side to deform and bend the I beam flange, similar to your center hanger. Are the outer hangers on that side still OK?

        Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package (retired)
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chattacuda View Post

          Yes I read about those on several of the posts here. From what I read they don't fit on the newer hanger designs that have the v brace welded on the hangers. It appears they were designed to address the hanger base material and weld failures that existed before the V brace design improvement. I agree this type cross brace may have prevented my issue. Its just a shame we have to buy or install these aftermarket fixes on a 2021 design. Thanks for the input for sure. If I dont go with the IS system I will definitely weld in cross braces on all three locations
          In looking at your pictures again, I am wondering if something inside the CRE3000 failed causing a shift and then the twist. The inside of the equalizer doesn't look right. I know it is under pressure and torsion but I would expect the inside of the equalizer to stay more together.
          Mike & Lisa
          Central Florida
          2021 Imagine 2970RL
          1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
            Sorry to see that chattacuda . That looks like a doozy! Not sure if you are aware, but MORryde makes the x-factor drop-down cross member that goes between the center equalizers. I am guessing that cross brace would have prevented this. Maybe someone that has installed it can chime in.

            https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...de/MR84AR.html
            The X Factor bracket will certainly strengthen the center hangers which are the weakest point from a lateral motion perspective. This is due to both axles terminating there. I have it installed on my Imagine but there was no damage before or after the installation. This was a preventative measure.
            I have video from under my rig which did show the most lateral motion occurred on the center hangers.

            Having stated that, with the damage here being so severe, its hard to say if the bracket would have saved the frame.

            Jim
            Last edited by MidwestCamper; 11-01-2021, 09:47 PM.
            2017 Imagine 2600RB
            2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chattacuda View Post
              Leave it to me to be posting about a new type damage mechanism. I read 17 pages of suspension problems posts and this is a new one! We headed to Orlando last week from Tennessee on our first out of state trip in our new 2021 Solitude 310GK-R (standard 7K axles). I noticed at a rest stop north of Atlanta the RV was listing slightly to the curb side. Investigation found the center spring hanger bent inboard about 20 degrees. I crawled under and removed sealant around the coroplast and was suprised to find no cracked welds; the lower I beam flange was actually bent! I wont bore you with the long sad story of what we did, but the short version is we had a Truck/RV Repair Shop try to straighten it, were marginally successful, and continued our trip without further movement of the bent frame.
              Obviously the V braces added by Lippert solved the hanger cracking issue, but moved the weak point to the frame itself. The odd part is I do not know what caused it; obviously a large pothole or too hard a turn or ??. The only thing that looks odd on the design is there is no gusset between the I beam flange and web on the inside like there is on the outside. I will be stripping the springs and rocker off in the next few days and see what I can do to correct the bent flange and web. I am so disappointed at this point with the design I am seriously considering the Morryde IS. If not, I will definitely be reinforcing the frame and adding cross braces to all 3 hangers. And BTW, I did open a claim with GD just in case and I did weigh the rig the next day to ensure not overloaded. Comments welcome.
              Hi,

              I have thought that the 310 GK-R suspension should be strong, since it is similar to the 16.8 K units, but is limited to 15K. It appears that the V-clip mod is solid, but the frame is now the weak link. Glad you were able to do a temporary fix and continue the trip. Yes, it is hoped that a 2021 unit would be able to handle reasonable road bumps. I was on CA freeways today, and there are many substantial bumps.

              It might be good to hear from other 310 GK-R owners to see if there are any similar problems. I have wondered how many miles the CRE3000 should last before major maintenance.

              Charles
              2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K, 26K GCWR, USAF (Ret.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                chattacuda

                I have seen something similar to this caused by a curb impact at highway speed, but this caused all three hangers on the one side to deform and bend the I beam flange, similar to your center hanger. Are the outer hangers on that side still OK?

                Rob
                Rob
                yes the other two are perfect. It is a mystery to me what happened to cause this. I try and be careful. We stay on paved roads. I really think I must have hit a lot hole or something because it appears the springs on that side are flatter. I won’t know for sure till I measure them but I doubt the bent frame would cause the nearly 2 in difference in side to side height. On a good note, kudos to Grand Design because there is no noticeable coach damage from this apparent impact. No cracked fiberglass or door/ slide out issues
                Larry
                Larry & Angie from Dayton, TN
                2021 Solitude 310-GK w/ Generator
                2017 Ram 3500 Dually

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

                  The X Factor bracket will certainly strengthen the center hangers which are the weakest point from a lateral motion perspective. This is due to both axles terminating there. I have it installed on my Imagine but there was no damage before or after the installation. This was a preventative measure.
                  I have video from under my rig which did show the most lateral motion occurred on the center hangers.

                  Having stated that, with the damage here being so severe, its hard to say if the bracket would have saved the frame.

                  Jim
                  Jim
                  You are right, it is anyone’s guess. After watching the repair shop spend hours with big equipment pulling and heating the area to try and straighten it, it had to take a lot of force to bend it. I just can’t imagine me hitting something that hard and not knowing it. It’s a mystery for sure
                  Larry
                  Larry & Angie from Dayton, TN
                  2021 Solitude 310-GK w/ Generator
                  2017 Ram 3500 Dually

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    chattacuda Larry,

                    When you finally get your rig repaired, install the X factor bracket on the center hanger. Its very difficult for the hanger to roll over with the cross member installed there. You only need it on the center hangers IMO. A member here used longer bolts to install the X Factor bracket onto hangers with the V Clip so its still possible to install this important add on.

                    Jim
                    2017 Imagine 2600RB
                    2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I wonder if OurNewEra Mike is on to something with his thought that this might be caused by some type of equalizer failure or malfunction. It is difficult to comprehend that much damage to the center hanger only, from road impact, without some deformation to the other hangers on the same side.

                      Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package (retired)
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sorry to see that.

                        In the third pic, it kind of looks like the bottom of the CRE hanger (blue part) has been scraped flat - almost like it was ground down? If it is...

                        To cause that kind of wear (if it is worn), this part would have come into in contact with something hard - while moving. If this contact was slightly off angle at point of contact it could have bent the assembly. Maybe like running over a curb during a turn.

                        For example, let's say that side ran over a curb during a turn. The first wheel goes up and over the curb, and then when it clears the curb the whole weight of the trailer comes down hard and fast with the CRE hanger (the low point) taking the full brunt of the force. As the turn continues - the CRE scrapes across the curb - until the second wheel goes up and over the curb. This wouldn't have to be a prolonged contact - could have happened in an instant. Bump - scrape - bump and carry on.

                        Just a thought. Hope you can get it fixed!

                        Ken & Sandra
                        2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The theory that the CRE3000 came apart could put undo stress on the center hanger but the CRE3000 fits snugly in the hanger at the body of the unit and is full width at the pin connection. The lower connection could come apart if the lower bolt fails but this would be difficult to achieve. A drop off on a curve in the road at speed or hitting some obstruction such as a curb especially while turning could put serious stress on the center hanger(s). Both axles terminate at the center hangers where a significant side or lateral force will double the load there as apposed to the front or rear hangers. Think of the front and rear hangers absorbing 1/2 of the lateral axle load where the combined loads at the center hangers would be 1 or equivalent to a full axle load since its the combined load of 1/2 from each axle added there. When I witnessed the serious motion in the center hanger of my little Imagine, I installed the X Factor bracket. The V Clips will not prevent excessive lateral bending of the frame where a cross member will. Either way, it looks like the rig endured some type of road related issue, most likely in a turn.

                          https://www.morryde.com/products/cre...system-triple/

                          Jim
                          2017 Imagine 2600RB
                          2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post
                            Sorry to see that.

                            In the third pic, it kind of looks like the bottom of the CRE hanger (blue part) has been scraped flat - almost like it was ground down? If it is...

                            To cause that kind of wear (if it is worn), this part would have come into in contact with something hard - while moving. If this contact was slightly off angle at point of contact it could have bent the assembly. Maybe like running over a curb during a turn.

                            For example, let's say that side ran over a curb during a turn. The first wheel goes up and over the curb, and then when it clears the curb the whole weight of the trailer comes down hard and fast with the CRE hanger (the low point) taking the full brunt of the force. As the turn continues - the CRE scrapes across the curb - until the second wheel goes up and over the curb. This wouldn't have to be a prolonged contact - could have happened in an instant. Bump - scrape - bump and carry on.

                            Just a thought. Hope you can get it fixed!
                            Ken,

                            Maybe a better pic of this area from the OP could help answer some questions. Wonder if someone has jacked up the side of the rig from the CRE3000. That would bend the hanger but missing material on the CRE3000 would be hard to do short of grinding on it.

                            Jim
                            2017 Imagine 2600RB
                            2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

                              Ken,

                              Maybe a better pic of this area from the OP could help answer some questions. Wonder if someone has jacked up the side of the rig from the CRE3000. That would bend the hanger but missing material on the CRE3000 would be hard to do short of grinding on it.

                              Jim
                              Agreed Jim!
                              Ken & Sandra
                              2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X