Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chattacuda
    Hi Larry,

Sorry to learn this, but thanks for the update. Many on this forum will be following your progress on getting this resolved. I guess there is a downside to having a tow vehicle so strong and stable that you did not even feel an impact of this magnitude. I would think that the front axle (and maybe even the rear one) should be on the “to be replaced” list.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

chattacuda Good solution on the IS install. They install a sub-frame that will beef this all up.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by chattacuda View Post
        So....I have disassembled the curb side to see what all is going on. Turns out worse than I originally thought....imagine that! I'll let the pics tell the story but the short version is I obviously hit something. It appears the front axle hit so hard the axle itself contacted the frame and the tire hit the tire well and distorted it. The frame I beam above the front axle is bowed inwards about 1/2". The back tire contacted the fender well slightly also. I have a mess on my hands. I have to straighten the I beam enough to get it to Morryde in January for the IS install. Ughh. I will keep you all posted.
        Larry,

From your pics this does not look to bad. Your frame is designed with positive camber built in so the string should normally not follow the flange overall. The yielded section would be worse since its rolled over. Also its not hard to get into tire to floor contact where there is minimal space there normally. A few years ago many of us were having floor contact which resulted in a change in spring rate along with other improvements. But that's another story.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Larry,

From your pics this does not look to bad. Your frame is designed with positive camber built in so the string should normally not follow the flange overall. The yielded section would be worse since its rolled over. Also its not hard to get into tire to floor contact where there is minimal space there normally. A few years ago many of us were having floor contact which resulted in a change in spring rate along with other improvements. But that's another story.

Jim
          Thanks Jim I was just reading about the built in camber last night. I suppose I will compare it to the other side to see how much to straighten it out. I have been reading a lot of engineering articles about flame straightening beams which is where I am going to start. If you stay under 1050 F is will not affect the strength of the material.

Take care and thanks again!
          Larry
          Larry & Angie from Dayton, TN
          2021 Solitude 310-GK w/ Generator
          2017 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            chattacuda
            Hi Larry,

Sorry to learn this, but thanks for the update. Many on this forum will be following your progress on getting this resolved. I guess there is a downside to having a tow vehicle so strong and stable that you did not even feel an impact of this magnitude. I would think that the front axle (and maybe even the rear one) should be on the “to be replaced” list.

Rob
            Thanks Rob. I will update as time goes on I am donating the axles to the Morryde scrap pile when I get the IS installed in January!

Larry
            2017 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

chattacuda You are probably not going to want to hear this, but straightening the lower flange on the I beam is not going to be easy unless you are willing to cut the flange or replace a section of the frame. The inner side is most likely stretched and the outer side is double bent. You can try to get the bends on the outer side straightened and that may help get it straight.

When you do get it straight, you may want to put a longitudinal plate above the hangers at about a 45 between the flange and the web. My 2 pervious campers had this to help with the hanger loadings into the flanges. They only use short pieces and tack weld them in place, however if I were doing it, I'd go the full length of the axle hanger spread plus some to help spread out the forces.

Good luck with the repairs. Look forward to seeing your progress and results.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Flame straightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rFWCPvvWrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twWMroRvqAY

Another great technique that can be applied to this project.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkiPgmET-gk

Jim
                Last edited by howson; 11-25-2021, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Flame straightening.

Jim
                  We used to do the same thing to straighten race car axle tubes that had been tweaked while "rubbin". I was amazed at the simplicity of finding the tweak and the cure.
                  Last edited by howson; 11-25-2021, 08:36 PM.
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Flame straightening.

Jim
                    Thanks all. I have used flame straightening on big shafts before and am familiar withn the science behind it, which is why I said that is how I plan to straighten the bowed in section of the I beam. The twisted center hanger part I will straighten with heat and force. I am getting all my tooling together now and I still need to roll back the mid section of the coroplast. The more I look at it and the existu=ibng cross braces the more convinced I am I can fix it back right. Time is critical since it is cold here now and I have to have it back on the road by Jan 4 for the trip to Elkhart Jan 4 for the IS upgrade.
                    Larry
                    Last edited by howson; 11-25-2021, 08:35 PM.
                    2017 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

OK here is an update. I have been getting tooling together and waiting for a warm couple of days to fix the frame. I had a good oxy-acetelyne setup and some come-a-longs. I did my research on flame straightening and ordered a 1050F temp stick to make sure I didn't overheat the metal. Today was the day. 70F here in Tennessee which is nice this time of year. The worst part of the job, other than worrying about catching something on fire, was removing the coroplast! I started at 1000 and by 1400 the frame was straight. I spent a lot of time wrapping the wiring and plumbing with flame resistant material. Flame straightening worked great on the section between the middle and front hanger. Straightening the bent center hager/ beam was pretty easy after removing the springs from the axles. I used the old bent CRE-3000 center section to pull against for the center section and it moved quite easily. The flame straighteening of the I beam front section took about 10 evolutions, heating sections and allowing them to cool off and then repeat. In the end, the frame that was nearly 1/2" out of line over a 3 foot section with a twisted middle hanger was straight within 1/16". I could have got it closer but since I am going with the Morryde IS in January it is close enough. I'm posting a couple pics: if you compare them to the PRE pics, it is quite impressive. If I can help anyone out with a sitiuation like this in the future, I will be glad to. Going back together tomorrow!
                      2017 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

chattacuda -- impressive job. Thanks for the documentation!
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

chattacuda

Nice job, Larry! Very professional.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Outstanding
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

chattacuda Awesome Job Larry!

Jim

Comment

X5 Larry chattacuda - excellent research and execution !

Dan
                                Dan & Carol
                                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                                X