No announcement yet.

Trailer TPMS works and saves money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can reprogram the TPMS on the truck. But as far as adding trailer TPMS, I imagine there are software updates and possibly hardware that would need to be added to the 18's and older.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      I can reprogram the TPMS on the truck. But as far as adding trailer TPMS, I imagine there are software updates and possibly hardware that would need to be added to the 18's and older.
      For Ford it is just a couple cables, a transmitter, and the TPMS valves for the trailer.

I screwed the transmitter to a crossmember toward the front of the trailer (the cross member protects the transmitter from road debris), connected the wiring (cables) to the transmitter and ran the wiring up to the 7 pin connector - trying to make it about the same length.

You have to replace the 7 pin/4 pin receiver on the truck with a new 7 pin/12 pin receiver. For 4 pin you now use a 4 pin adapter into the 7 pin (included in package).

Now you just plug in the 7 pin and the 12 pin into the truck, program the truck ECU to "turn on" the trailer TPMS, and the screen guides you through the process of programming the TPMS valves of the trailer. (I had Discount Tire insert the TPMS vales into the trailer tires previous to the installation).

Mine is a bumper pull, but 5th wheel shouldn't really be much different.

There is an option from Ford to have the trailer TPMS and a "customer install camera" show up on the factory dash screen. All wiring/cables are included in the kit I have for the TPMS and use the same 12 pin connection. there are 2 cables from the 12 pin, one for the TPMS and another for the camera. The cable for the camera is about 30' long to reach the rear of the trailer if wanted. Because I don't have the camera, I just wound that cable and tucked under the trailer.

in pics below, the TPMS connector (12 pin) has the red rubber seal around it. The new receiver for the truck has the 7 pin trailer connection on top and the 12 pin on the bottom.

Install took about 45 minutes total. Not bad. It did cost me about $450 which is the main downside in my opinion. At the end of the day it's worth the extra $200 because it's just a plug-and-play into the factory ford system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TPMS1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	71571
      Click image for larger version

Name:	TPMS2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	71572 Click image for larger version

Name:	TPMS3.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	71573
      Attached Files
      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Trailer TPMS saved us again. This time in Memphis Tennessee.

It was a slow leak so we were able to slow down and drive to an area I could change the tire easily. After the tire change we went to Discount Tire to see if they were able to repair (we are still hundreds of miles from home and wanted to have all tires and a spare).

The tire was not repairable. It was one of the original tires from almost 3 years ago. Tires were not in good shape - I knew I needed to replace them this year. It looks like it just gave up...a lot of cracks and soe dry rot...tread was barely there. We have almost 20,000 miles on the tire and 3 years. So we bought new tires to replace the old ones and were on our way.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Good to hear the TPMS potentially saved you from a bigger issue.

To me it is disappointing that the tires seem to have aged out in 3 years?
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            Good to hear the TPMS potentially saved you from a bigger issue.

To me it is disappointing that the tires seem to have aged out in 3 years?
            I'm a little disappointed as well. They are Goodyear Endurance....I thought they would last longer. I cover them when parked, but not while we are using the trailer (traveling/camping) and we use the trailer 1 week per month or more.

But, now I know the expected lifespan.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
            X