Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric brakes weak on New Imagine 2600RB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric brakes weak on New Imagine 2600RB?

The electric braking seems to be weak on our new Imagine 2600RB. It states in the manual that 50 miles or so of use is needed to "seat" the brake shoes in. I'm hoping this is true. I have the factory Ford brake controller and it worked fine with our previous Winnebago Micro Minnie. I used to test the electric brakes of the trailer by driving real slow (creeping) and then apply the brake controller lever slowly without using the Truck brakes. You should be able to feel the tug of the trailer. I can hardly feel any tug from the new 2600RB. The dealer said that this new 2600RB was towed from Indiana to the dealer in Texas where we bought it a few days ago. If so, that is roughly 1000 miles, so the brake shoes should be "seated". . I have 3 settings on my brake control gain, light, medium and heavy for conventional electric brakes. There is a setting for electric-Hydraulic brakes. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited by Bob Davis2; 11-28-2021, 02:21 PM.
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
    Dallas, Texas area

Originally posted by Bob Davis2 View Post
    The electric braking seems to be weak on our new Imagine 2600RB. It states in the manual that 50 miles or so of use is needed to "seat" the brake shoes in. I'm hoping this is true. I have the factory Ford brake controller and it worked fine with our previous Winnebago Micro Minnie. I used to test the electric brakes of the trailer by driving real slow (creeping) and then apply the brake controller lever slowly without using the Truck brakes. You should be able to feel the tug of the trailer. I can hardly feel any tug from the new 2600RB. The dealer said that this new 2600RB was towed from Indiana to the dealer in Texas where we bought it a few days ago. If so, that is roughly 1000 miles, so the brake shoes should be "seated". . I have 3 settings on my brake control gain, light, medium and heavy for conventional electric brakes. There is a setting for electric-Hydraulic brakes. Any ideas? Thanks.
    The electric brakes will not use the Electric-Hydraulic setting. That's for disc brakes (with a hydraulic brake master cylinder for the brakes). Not the setup on your Imagine.

There's a few possibilities that should be checked ASAP by your dealer since weak brakes could be a safety issue (my opinion). If you're brake savvy, then perhaps do it yourself? (I just recently learned all about these brakes, though I've never actually replaced the parts myself. But I'm pretty sure I could troubleshoot it!)

1) The adjusters may need initial setting (even if they are "auto adjusters" they may need to be set correctly the first time).

2) Grease may have gotten on the brake pads? (I hope not--if so they MUST be changed.)

3) One or more of the brakes may not be working. With the brakes engaged, hold something made of steel near the bottom center of the brake drum. You should feel the magnetic attraction (since the magnet inside the drum housing is engaged). This is a quick way to tell if all four of the drum magnets are engaging.

4) After that it's a matter of measuring the amperage back to the brakes, and then measuring amperage to each brake while inspecting the wiring.

Please post back when the issue is resolved. (My .02 -- it won't get better on it's own so be persistent with your dealer. )

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

^^^^ Thank you Mr. Howard, great info!
      2022 Imagine 2600RB
      Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Howard had some great tips. Sometimes, the distance from the brake magnet to the outside of the wheel can cause the magnetic field to be pretty weak which will make the metal trick difficult to assess.
        A method that I use is to hold a magnetic compass next to the hub while someone applies the brakes. If the needle deflects, the brake in that wheel position is getting enough electrical current to activate the brake magnet. If the compass does not deflect, then I'd suspect a problem with the brake wiring.

JIm
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Bob Davis2 Hi Bob, you've got done great advice so far but I have a few other tests you can do. My trailer from the factory had a broken wire feeding one of the axles so I had weak brakes for the first few months until I tracked that down. The compass is a great test, but at a more basic level you should be able to hear the brakes come on if somebody holds the pedal down and you're walking around. If you've got no or weak brakes on a current model trailer I'd suspect a broken wire someplace, although modern trucks usually give an error on the dash when this happens. There was a run of over greased axles four or five years ago that caused brake issues but that's been resolved for a long time. If the tests advice show the brakes are getting power and working I'd pull the wheel apart and see what the brakes look like.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Great info again, thank you Jim and Neil! I will check this when I can get it out again.
            2022 Imagine 2600RB
            Dallas, Texas area

Comment

My 2018 GD 2600RB and our 2021 337RLS both came with the brake shoes covered in grease due to overzealous use of a power grease gun prior to us receiving it. Both required considerable effort to make right, the 337 has all new brakes on Dexters dime.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I went out to the storage stall today and measured the resistance of the brakes to gnd and it was approximately 0.7 ohms which is about correct for 4 brake coils in parallel. Then connected to the truck and had my wife operate the brake controller only off and on, off and on. I could hear slight spring squeek at the trailer wheels but couldn't say if all 4 wheels are operating. So I think the wiring is good. The next thing I will do is try bumping up the setting on my brake controller. It has Light, Medium and Heavy settings, presumably for light, medium and heavy trailers. If I change to Heavy and the brakes are still weak, I will schedule a dealer appointment and let them evaluate the brakes on the trailer. It is still well under warranty since it has only been 3 days ago we bought it and drove it home. Could be grease on the shoes too as familytruckster4 states. Thanks for all the tips.
                2022 Imagine 2600RB
                Dallas, Texas area

Comment

For a half ton, I would think you want to be set to heavy. My OEM controller does not have the three ranges but I am set to a gain of 6 with strong trailer braking on my 2600RB if this helps. You will not hear much from the brakes when activated sitting still since the magnets attract to the drum then rotate on a pendulum to activate the brake when rotating. So the wheel needs to rotate to apply the brakes.

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2021, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Bob Davis2 - by 'heavy' are you referring to the 'brake effort' setting on the factory TBC? For what it's worth, I have our effort set to high, with a gain setting of 6.5 to 7.5, depending on how much 'stuff' we have on the trailer. IE, if we are going on a longer trip with a tank full of water, I'll set the gain higher since there is more weight behind me that I need to have slowed down. However, I can really feel the higher gain when the trailer is empty, and will turn it down to ease the braking force, so it's not so aggressive. Regardless of what gain I am using, I have never needed to changed the effort setting. Also, I was never able to get the TBC to lock up the wheels doing the 40kph 'test' on pavement. Could I feel it slow down the trailer doing that test? Sure. Would the wheels ever lock? Nope.

Just wondering, what gain do you have your system set too?
                    2019 Imagine 2400BH
                    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                      Bob Davis2 - by 'heavy' are you referring to the 'brake effort' setting on the factory TBC? For what it's worth, I have our effort set to high, with a gain setting of 6.5 to 7.5, depending on how much 'stuff' we have on the trailer. IE, if we are going on a longer trip with a tank full of water, I'll set the gain higher since there is more weight behind me that I need to have slowed down. However, I can really feel the higher gain when the trailer is empty, and will turn it down to ease the braking force, so it's not so aggressive. Regardless of what gain I am using, I have never needed to changed the effort setting. Also, I was never able to get the TBC to lock up the wheels doing the 40kph 'test' on pavement. Could I feel it slow down the trailer doing that test? Sure. Would the wheels ever lock? Nope.

Yes, I have my "Effort" set to medium. There is a Low, Medium and High setting on my 2017 Lariat. I read on the Ford Forum that High will increase the current to the electric brakes. I will check this setting out, next time I take the RV out. Hopefully, that is all that is needed. Thanks! Oh, these 3 settings are in addition to the Gain setting of 0-10 for each range.

Here is an excerpt from a fellow on the Ford Forum:

"Just played with this last weekend.

15 F-350 w/ 32ft Ft wheel, about 12K lbs.

The Test
                      Gravel Road. All test 10-15MPH to 0.

Using the Brake Controller ONLY / Manually. (AKA did not touch Truck Brakes)

Setting Low / Gain 10. Almost No Trailer Brakes.

Setting Med / Gain 10. Trailer Brakes, slowed down but no lock up.

Setting High / Gain 10. Trailer Brakes, LOCKED UP Instantly.

My Final Setting for the 5th wheel
                      Setting High / Gain 6.5 Just the right balance."

Bob

2022 Imagine 2600RB
                      Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

StephenO This is an excellent post from first hand experience with the Ford system IMO. We should never assume we will see or expect brake lock up on dry pavement. In fact if lock up is seen it will most likely occur on the front axle only which would indicate the gain is set too high. For rain, snow, gravel and other low traction surfaces, the gain would be reduced to ensure lock up does not occur, but rather maximum braking for those surfaces is accomplished without lockup. Lockup would result in greater stopping distance.

I like to set my gain where TV braking effort (feel at the pedal) feels the same with the trailer connected to when it is not connected. With your Ford System Effort set to High, your gain is very close to my gain setting.

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

This was the worst one on our 337RLS built July 2020 Click image for larger version

Name:	rightrearbackerlow.jpeg
Views:	1115
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	71458

Comment

Wow!
                            Well....at least it wouldn't rust?
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Very little chance of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X