Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric brakes weak on New Imagine 2600RB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc brakes can fade as well even though they are better than drum brakes since they dissipate heat more effectively. It's always good to do an initial brake test with the brake controller to be sure the trailer brakes are working. One would think a professional driver would have basic knowledge of a pull test for 5th wheels or a brake controller test for travel trailers. I could see a delivery driver setting the gain too high in an attempt to preserve their TV brakes versus not using the trailer brakes at all. I do not know any delivery drivers personally but assume they generally know what they are doing. Avoiding chuck holes or slowing down for a rough road is another story. My rig arrived with flat springs.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

While electric drum trailer brakes are often maligned and are definitely not the newest technology they have also logged many many trouble free miles behind many thousands of trailers. Once I clean the grease off of them and adjust them properly mine have served me well for 10's of thousands of miles throughout America, down Monteagle, into and out of Estes park Co, along the New river in WV and up and down Jellico TN many many times. Are there better setups ? absolutely. I have a history of driving poorly maintained big red trucks and learned how to save brakes a long time ago.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

While I was installing and testing my HaloVision RD7 system today, I had the trailer Connector connected to my F150 and decided to try and find the "Light/Medium/Heavy" setting using the Trailer settings on the Dash. It took forever to find this Setting. The only time the Menu Option comes up to Select Light, Medium or Heavy for the Brake controller is when you "ADD" a trailer. So I had to ADD another trailer, rename it to IIMAGINE and then it came up with the selection for type of Brake system and the Light / Medium/ Heavy/ Selection. So I selected HEAVY this time. Now I need to tow the Trailer again and check the Gain setting to see if it is a little more aggressive than before. I will make sure to report back on my results and findings. Thanks to all for the awesome info on this.
        2022 Imagine 2600RB
        F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
        Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
          I have never heard of a driver pulling someone elses trailer that did not use the trailers brakes. Drivers are known for trying to save their equipment. I think its illogical to expect that the delivery company got that trailer to the dealer without using the brakes. Whatever was done is done and the time to burnish brakes is when they are new, not after they have been used for hundreds of miles. I think that anything short of an inspection of the system is just wasting time.

Curious if the O.P. has any new information to add ?
          Finally took our first trip this past weekend (4/1-4/3 2022). Prior to leaving out, I adjusted the Force Settings on my 2017 F150 Brake control to "High" from the previous Medium setting. In order to do this I had to delete my previously stored "Imagine" trailer setting and add a New one. This "walks" you through all of the settings on the truck dash. I could not find a way to just go the stored trailer configuration and "modify" the setting. Picked up the Imagine trailer and towed 5 miles to the house. I was able to feel a difference in that I could feel resistance using the Brake control squeeze levers in the truck while creeping to a stop. The gain setting 8.5. Towed it 90 miles out to a campsite and at each stop light/sign, I noticed I could feel drag from the trailer when my brakes were applied in the truck. So I feel that the brakes on the Imagine are working. Coming home from the campsite, again, I could tell the trailer brakes are working. With 180 miles on it, I plan to just pull it and see if they get better with some more mileage. Have two trips planned coming up.

I pull in "Tow/Haul" mode with my truck and in this mode, it uses Engine braking also. I never felt that my Truck was straining to stop the trailer either. Thanks to all for the great advice and insight on braking systems.
          2022 Imagine 2600RB
          Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Bob,

Nice that this worked out but a gain of 8.5 may still indicate a brake adjustment is needed. Ideal gain setting is where the brake effort on the truck stays about the same between towing the rig and running empty. While I have a different truck, the general consensus on brake gain is typically around 6.5. Brakes that have not been used will also need some re-seating each season where my brakes increasingly became more responsive after about 20 brake applications when taking out of storage.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              Bob,

Nice that this worked out but a gain of 8.5 may still indicate a brake adjustment is needed. Ideal gain setting is where the brake effort on the truck stays about the same between towing the rig and running empty. While I have a different truck, the general consensus on brake gain is typically around 6.5. Brakes that have not been used will also need some re-seating each season where my brakes increasingly became more responsive after about 20 brake applications when taking out of storage.

Jim

Interesting info Jim, thank you! I will give it some more time on a few more trips to see if it gets better. If it gets to the point where pinching the levers on the brake control causes lockup, I will decrease my gain settings accordingly. I suppose I could schedule it for service to check the brake adjustment since it is only 4 months old, but what a PITA that is. I know how to do it, since I grew up working on cars and always DIY on brakes back before Disc brakes were invented, so I may do it myself. We'll see. At least I know they are working at this point. Next trip out soon, I may just pull a wheel to see.
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                Bob,

Jim
                Interesting that the typical brake gain setting is around 6.5. With my current and former trailer I always use a setting of between 2.5 and 3 depending on the day if my brakes are adjusted properly (any deviation is a clue that I need to adjust, even though I do adjust them every 4000 to 5000 miles). Maybe because I don't have an integrated controller? I use a Prodigy P2.
                Mike and (RIP Karen)
                2021 2600RB
                2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Bob,

It's unlikely you will achieve brake lockup loaded up OR if you do it will be on the front axle only which you do not want to happen. The geometry of the suspension system will articulate the front axle on heavy braking which can cause the front wheels only to lock where this condition will reduce overall braking effectiveness. Hard to imaging heavy braking can result in less braking but this is the case if the wheels are able to lock on high traction surfaces.
                  You will want to back the gain off so this does not occur on dry pavement for starters. Its also normal to lower the gain to prevent lockup on low traction surfaces as well. For instance, I use a gain of 6.5 ( I cannot achieve lock) but in rain I may lower the gain to 5.5 since traction on the truck is also reduced under those conditions and this will prevent front wheel lock on heavy application. The idea is to have the same brake pedal effort when towing as to when your not towing. You do not want the trailer pulling on the truck at higher speeds but rather have TV and Trailer operating in unison.

Jim

Comment

2022 Imagine 2600RB
                    Dallas, Texas area

Comment

I cant recall the exact number I used for gain on my Silverado/2600 combo but it was well under 5 after I serviced the brakes and degreasificated them.
                      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I adjusted the brakes on each of the 4 wheels today. Spinning the wheel and moving the adjuster wheel until I feel the wheel begin to "drag", then back off a click or two of the adjuster. There are a bunch of youtube videos on how to adjust trailer brakes, very helpful. It has been many, many years ago that I adjusted my drum brakes on cars before the advent of disk brakes (60 Chevy, 64 Chevelle, 55 Chevy, etc.). Yes I am an "old". So now I need to back off the gain as Midwest Camper suggested and will see if 6.5 or so will work. Going to take a 3 day trip with the trailer in a week or so and I will report back. Thanks again!
                        2022 Imagine 2600RB
                        Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Canyonlight and Guest -- moved all the great discussion about cars to https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...o-classic-cars
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Got to pull the 2600RB today after adjusting the brakes. I adjusted the Gain from 8.5 down to 7.0 and it stops great. I can definitely tell the difference that the trailer brakes are now working as they should. What an improvement and I took the advice of not running the Gain so high. Planning to pull it later this week to a bluegrass jam/camp. Thanks for all the great info from everyone!
                            2022 Imagine 2600RB
                            Dallas, Texas area

Comment

So I crawled under the unit to check adjustment based on the many comments on the board about how out of adjustment people were finding their brakes.

NO SURPRISE.... They were all a bit looser than I personally like (if it were not for surface rust, no contact) and again all 4 were at different adjustments.

I remember the old automotive drum brake days. I always remember rotating the adjuster UP tightened the brakes and DOWN loosened. The Dexter axes are opposite. DOWN on the adjuster wheel is tighter and UP is looser. Also found it much easier to use the second slot to insert a screwdriver and hold the self adjuster arm up out of the way so I could spoon the wheel.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Update 9/4/2022: 3rd trip out last week and the brakes still working great after the adjustment. I found that you can feel the difference when coming to a stop. If, in an open space, no traffic, you just barely let the tow vehicle roll and then squeeze the brake control levers together, you can feel the trailer drag you to a stop.

It would be good perhaps if brake adjustment was on the dealer pre-flight checklist.
                                2022 Imagine 2600RB
                                Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Working...
                                X