No announcement yet.

TV On-Board Air Project - Tires and Things Inflated Properly - Pt 1 - Hose Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV On-Board Air Project - Tires and Things Inflated Properly - Pt 1 - Hose Reel

So first big trip out west our 375RES picked up a screw just before we got into Las Vegas and I quickly learned about the importance of a good on-board air solution to maintain trailer and truck tire pressures. I had a small 1 gallon AC based compressor but quickly found out that its not very good with 110 psi trailer tires. So I started researching and have settled on a TV on-board DC system with a 2.5 gallon tank and a 150 psi constant duty compressor. The new system is in transit but I just installed the hose reel in the truck bed area in preparation for the new system. The hose reel was mounted to a large cutting board that is sitting vertical on the truck bed and anchored to a tie-down connector on the side of the truck bed. Additionally, we like to air down the truck tires once we get to a camp location to make the ride less harsh versus the high pressures needed to handle to trailer weight and this will make it much quicker to bring the tires back up to towing levels and I am also looking to swap the hitch for a Reese Goose Ball setup with the airbag and this will also make maintaining that much more convenient.. I hope this post and the future ones on the tank and compressor install helps anyone else that is looking to do something similar.

KW
    Attached Files
    Keith Walker - Nashville, TN
    2021 GD Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW
    PullRite Superlite Single Point Connection 5th Wheel Hitch

Originally posted by KWyer View Post
    ...I hope this post and the future ones on the tank and compressor install helps anyone else that is looking to do something similar.

KW
    Neat setup! Looking forward to seeing "Part 2"!

Bob
    Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

So first big trip out west our 375RES picked up a screw just before we got into Las Vegas and I quickly learned about the importance of a good on-board air solution to maintain trailer and truck tire pressures. I had a small 1 gallon AC based compressor but quickly found out that its not very good with 110 psi trailer tires. So I started researching and have settled on a TV on-board DC system with a 2.5 gallon tank and a 150 psi constant duty compressor. The new system is in transit but I just installed the hose reel in the truck bed area in preparation for the new system. The hose reel was mounted to a large cutting board that is sitting vertical on the truck bed and anchored to a tie-down connector on the side of the truck bed. Additionally, we like to air down the truck tires once we get to a camp location to make the ride less harsh versus the high pressures needed to handle to trailer weight and this will make it much quicker to bring the tires back up to towing levels and I am also looking to swap the hitch for a Reese Goose Ball setup with the airbag and this will also make maintaining that much more convenient.. I hope this post and the future ones on the tank and compressor install helps anyone else that is looking to do something similar.

KW
      Keith - nice idea, thanks, for sharing. On board compressors have proven valuable for a number of folks on the forum as well.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

KW
        Unfortunately I went the opposite way. I have a Craftsman 120 AC compressor, but we have a generator and can use it immediately and 100 FT off hose.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

KWyer

Any updates on the compressor installation? Looking to add one to my setup and trying to decide what to get.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

For some ideas, here are some photos of what I did back when I bought my truck. If memory serves me I got the Constant Duty OBA Kit and I had it installed at a local off-road shop with airbags. I replaced the license plate mounting screws with the air valves for the airbags (had saw that on another truck) and had them install the female air chuck in the rear bumper. The air tank is installed underneath the bed of the truck above the spare tire and it fits there nicely. The compressor is installed on the frame up by the transmission and on/off is controlled by my #1 up lifter switch with the main power wire straight to one of the batteries. This system has worked great since it was installed in 2019. I load wood in the back of the truck when towing and the airbags are used to offset that extra weight so the truck is not squatting when towing. Its also nice to be able to air down the tires for Glamis and not have to worry about air to fill them back up.
            Attached Files
            Dan M.
            2022 Momentum 23G
            2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

74barrio Nice setup. I remember mom's 79 olds. Dad hid the Schrader valve behind the spring loaded license plate frame that covered the diesel filler neck.

If I ever need and do a setup, I am thinking push button air valves. No need to lug out the hose and hook it up.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Front wheel drive Diesel Toronado? I remember those.
                2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Bigdog3162 Mom had a 79 olds Delta 98. Olds 350 diesel. Was a pig with under 100 hp but would get north of 20 mpg pulling the Apache Pop up. Believe it or not, that pop up (hard side) was a 73 or 74 model that we ran for 10 years and put no telling how many miles from Baton Rouge to all over the US (except for 79 when we went to Hawaii to visit my uncle). Miss that thing as simple as it was. No bathroom, window unit AC dad installed, and the converter was blown so we had a refrigerator and 120 Volt light.

Let's not forget that the APACHE being towed by a Chevy wagon slept 7 of us while traversing the country.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X