Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351M Pin weight

Hello all!

I'm not a current GD owner, but I have been doing months of research and was initially sold on the Grand Design 351M model. However, I cannot convince my wife to get a dually to support the 2900ish pin weight (unloaded). Since then, I have been looking at the 320G (2300 pin weight). The specs seem to line up, and seems like it would work with my, on-order, F350 with 3500 payload.

However, after reading thru a few threads, it seems there is an issue to some with the way loading the 320G affects pin weight (specific to the location of the fresh water tank when it needs to be filled). The pin weights some people had were far too light and they had trouble raising them high enough.

This brought me full circle. I was curious what people's experiences were with the 351m.
    What was your pin weight when loaded and what were you loaded with? What precautions did you take, and how was the tow?

P.S. It should be noted that my use for a toy hauler has nothing to do with motorized (heavy) toys. My toys are mountain bikes. <200 lbs of them and whatever my young kids would like to tow along. I realize this probably means that the 320G will be my best bet and I will likely avoid the stories I read even with the fresh water full.

Thank you in advance for the knowledge!

Originally posted by Shnozzy View Post
    Hello all!

I'm not a current GD owner, but I have been doing months of research and was initially sold on the Grand Design 351M model. However, I cannot convince my wife to get a dually to support the 2900ish pin weight (unloaded). Since then, I have been looking at the 320G (2300 pin weight). The specs seem to line up, and seems like it would work with my, on-order, F350 with 3500 payload.

However, after reading thru a few threads, it seems there is an issue to some with the way loading the 320G affects pin weight (specific to the location of the fresh water tank when it needs to be filled). The pin weights some people had were far too light and they had trouble raising them high enough.

This brought me full circle. I was curious what people's experiences were with the 351m.
    What was your pin weight when loaded and what were you loaded with? What precautions did you take, and how was the tow?

P.S. It should be noted that my use for a toy hauler has nothing to do with motorized (heavy) toys. My toys are mountain bikes. <200 lbs of them and whatever my young kids would like to tow along. I realize this probably means that the 320G will be my best bet and I will likely avoid the stories I read even with the fresh water full.

Thank you in advance for the knowledge!
    Welcome, Shnozzy. This is a great place to "kick the tires"--a wise investment of your time IMHO.

A regular here, Curtis, is a 351M owner and I'm sure he'll be along soon with some insights. OffToHavasu

The experience of two other regulars with larger Momentums may help, too. John had a 395M. JBill9694 and Dallas has a 376THS d2reid

There are many others here, too, that hopefully will chime in.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I honestly have never weighed my 351M yet. Whenever I go to do so, the lines are just too long.

I pull mine with a 2500HD. I added air bag and a rear seat bar. On my model the only difference, for srw, between 3500 and 2500 are the springs, everything else is identical.

I always make sure the tires on the truck and aired up. No toys in the back, yet. Just kids bikes and stuff like that. When the water tracks are full, I noticed very little difference in the trailer handling.

Now this is with the 2020 floorplan. I'm not sure if the new bedroom floorplan changes anythinanything.
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Thank you for the reply OffToHavasu. That's very interesting. Most of the forums around here seem to attempt to laugh at everyone who's pulling a 351m with anything less than a dually. You haven't had any issues with a 2500 HD. Do you load heavy?

Comment

Originally posted by Shnozzy View Post
          Thank you for the reply OffToHavasu. That's very interesting. Most of the forums around here seem to attempt to laugh at everyone who's pulling a 351m with anything less than a dually. You haven't had any issues with a 2500 HD. Do you load heavy?
          I have not. That being said, I watch wind forcecasts very closely and won't travel over 20 MPH gusts. This just goes back before this trailer pulling a travel trailer through Grand Junction and had a horrible cross wind. Hated every second of it and almost called it quits until the road turned and it became a head wind.

The long plan is to eventually upgrade to the 3500, put probably SRW given the higher weight specs on the new trucks. Duallys and So Cal parking lots aren't fun. But we don't travel far, so this is doing fine for us for now until I get a kid out of daycare (that's a truck payment and insurance cost right there).
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Hey my friend I pull my 351M with my Ram 3500SW. I load heavy and have had no issues what so ever. You can add 5,000 pound air bags for extra support. Most important thing is to insure your haul vehicle tires are filled to recommended max psi.

Comment

Working...
            X