New Spare Tire Carrier on 22MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Spare Tire Carrier on 22MLE

Last month I posted about having a receiver welded to the back of our new trailer. At that time, I removed the factory spare tire carrier and just put the spare in the truck bed. I also ordered a BAL under belly tire carrier, but it was back ordered. Well, it arrived, and I installed it yesterday. It came out just as I hoped and I'm glad to get the tire out of my truck bed. BTW, I installed this same carrier on a previous trailer, so I was familiar with it.

Last edited by howson; 03-09-2022, 12:04 PM.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Paul, That gives much more ground clearance than I would have guessed. Jeremy (our son) had one of those on a previous trailer and it got so corroded from road grime that he had a difficult time removing the spare when he needed it. So if anyone else installs one of these, I'd suggest cleaning and lubricating the threads as part of routine maintenance.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Paul, That gives much more ground clearance than I would have guessed. Jeremy (our son) had one of those on a previous trailer and it got so corroded from road grime that he had a difficult time removing the spare when he needed it. So if anyone else installs one of these, I'd suggest cleaning and lubricating the threads as part of routine maintenance.

Jim
      Of course he lived in snow country too but I had one on my 2011 5th wheel for 5 years and it never got corroded or anything. I do agree that it should be checked and maintained regularly along with everything else on the trailer. As far as ground clearance, anything would hit the stabilizers before the carrier. It actually rides a tad higher than those.
      Paul and Deb Cervone
      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Nice work, did you mount the spare tire rack and storage tubes forward of the axels on purpose for better weight distribution?
        Retired Tanker Yanker
        2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
        My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Originally posted by Skilletface View Post
          Nice work, did you mount the spare tire rack and storage tubes forward of the axels on purpose for better weight distribution?
          Yes plus neither will actually fit rear of the axles. There's just too much interference with propane and sewer stuff on my 22MLE. The storage tubes don't weigh much at all just holding a fiberglass flag pole, fishing rods and hiking sticks in one and the aluminum collapsible ladder in the other. On the other hand, the tire carrier will offset the additional rear weight of the welded receiver, bike rack and 2 65 lb ebikes. The carrier weighs about 20 lbs then the tire.
          Paul and Deb Cervone
          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post
            Last month I posted about having a receiver welded to the back of our new trailer. At that time, I removed the factory spare tire carrier and just put the spare in the truck bed. I also ordered a BAL under belly tire carrier, but it was back ordered. Well, it arrived, and I installed it yesterday. It came out just as I hoped and I'm glad to get the tire out of my truck bed. BTW, I installed this same carrier on a previous trailer, so I was familiar with it.

Paul, what make/model is the spare tire carrier? I want to add a bike rack to the back of my 22mle so this would work great for me. Thanks. John....
            John and Lori
            2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
            2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post

Paul, what make/model is the spare tire carrier? I want to add a bike rack to the back of my 22mle so this would work great for me. Thanks. John....
              Sorry, I was beach camping for a week.

BAL 28218 Hide-A-Spare Tire Storage - I-Beam Underslung Mount
              Paul and Deb Cervone
              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Paul & Deb

Hey buddy. I know you installed this on your current Imagine. Owner SteveMessinger has a 17MKE. Do you think it would fit on his unit?

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  Paul & Deb

Hey buddy. I know you installed this on your current Imagine. Owner SteveMessinger has a 17MKE. Do you think it would fit on his unit?

Jim
                  Well heck, I can't really recall the space in front of the axles and don't have my photos of my 17MKE with me but if there's room it will mount. The carrier attaches on 12" of frame but then needs enough clear space for the tire centered under the coroplast.
                  Paul and Deb Cervone
                  2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Paul,
                    What are the two white tubes under your Imagine?
                    I have a 2022 Imagine XLS 22 RBE, should these tubes and tire rack fit on my Imagine?

Thank you
                    Terry
                    Sandusky, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by pvision View Post
                      Paul,
                      What are the two white tubes under your Imagine?
                      I have a 2022 Imagine XLS 22 RBE, should these tubes and tire rack fit on my Imagine?

Thank you
                      Terry
                      Sandusky, Ohio
                      Those are storage tubes made out of 4X4 vinyl post covers. I carry my flagpole, fishing rods, a 6 ft. ladder and hiking sticks. Many folks here have done the same or similar. Try a search to find some simple instructions.

These same tubes were originally installed on my 337RLS back in 2015 and I just keep moving them from one trailer to another when I sell and buy.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                      2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                      X