MORryde X-Factor bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORryde X-Factor bracing

I have been researching this modification. Do they really work as advertised? Has anyone installed them on the Reflection 220RK or simular rear living layout with the Dexter 4200LB axles. I know I need to do some clearance measuring, but its dang cold out right now. I was going to install 3 - rear and front and center.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I don't have experience with this particular product, but since you're not getting responses, I'll chime in. From an engineering point of view, it's a very sound concept. I think it could prevent a bunch of the broken hangers we've been reading about. Also, MORryde makes rock-solid, outstanding products (we've had MORryde independent suspension for almost four years and love it). It makes no difference which floorplan (you mentioned "rear living layout") - that doesn't really have any bearing on the X-Factor bracing. If I had solid axles and springs, I would install the X-Factor beams along with the MORryde heavy-duty web bolt and shackle kit in a heartbeat.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I have a 310 and I installed a single X-Factor crossmember as my installer told me the center one was the one that took the most stress.

Honestly I can't tell any difference with it but I like the long term peace of mind.
      2017 310GK

Comment

The MORryde X factor bracket will support the center hanger which moves mostly in the lateral or side to side direction. IMO the center hanger needs this support. The main weak link is the rear hanger which is under the most stress in the longitudinal or fore and aft directions. This is due to spring wrap and front axle rise on heavy braking which puts this stress right on the rear hanger. So the X factor bracket on the center hanger and the V clip on the rear hangers will result in a solid system.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
          I have a 310 and I installed a single X-Factor crossmember as my installer told me the center one was the one that took the most stress.

Honestly I can't tell any difference with it but I like the long term peace of mind.
          ... and you wouldn't be able to tell until/unless something broke without it. That's the point. It doesn't change the handling.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            ... So the X factor bracket on the center hanger and the V clip on the rear hangers will result in a solid system.

Jim
            What is a V clip? Interested to know...

2017 310GK

Comment

Jeff,

A V clip is a piece of steel bent at around 90 degree and inserted into the hanger and welded in.

Here is a V Clip example.

Jim
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I installed MORryde SRE4000 which comes with one X-brace and added two more (one on each spring hanger). On the back brace on my 344GK, I had to return and get the drop version in order to clear the fresh water dump valve. I did this as part of may disk brake / suspension upgrade in preparation for Alaska next year. I was told that this would help support the spring hangers. Next year will be the test!
                Jeff & JoAnn Sibley
                Solitude 344GK (2019)
                F350 DRW (2018)

Comment

I will be doing some research when I get to Goshen this summer and meet with Lippert. I am for sure getting V braces welded and asking them about welding 2 x 2 tubes from Hanger to hanger versus X factor bracing. They call this axle retro. Main issue is if welding these supports will prevent swapping out a damaged tank from the underbelly. Also, will X factor void the Lippert frame warranty.

i wonder if V braces might be enough?
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                    I will be doing some research when I get to Goshen this summer and meet with Lippert. I am for sure getting V braces welded and asking them about welding 2 x 2 tubes from Hanger to hanger versus X factor bracing. They call this axle retro. Main issue is if welding these supports will prevent swapping out a damaged tank from the underbelly. Also, will X factor void the Lippert frame warranty.

i wonder if V braces might be enough?
                    Beachcamper,

The x factor bracket would not void your warranty anymore than adding any other MORryde product. Folks welding to the frame other than Lippert could void the warranty with respect to modifications. I'm surprised Lippert does not come up with a design for a removable 2x2 tube since this would be easy to do.

Jim

Comment

GDRV-Megan

Beachcamper,

The x factor bracket would not void your warranty anymore than adding any other MORryde product. Folks welding to the frame other than Lippert could void the warranty with respect to modifications. I'm surprised Lippert does not come up with a design for a removable 2x2 tube since this would be easy to do.

Jim[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you however, I don’t want Lippert to find an excuse for something failing on their suspension or frame and then pointing fingers at aftermarket modifications. I wonder if GD would like to clarify this for us on this thread.

1 - Does adding aftermarket shackles to stock equalizer or X factor void frame warranty?

2 - How long (years) is that warranty for?

I am no engineer but I have my doubts about the reinforcement of the hangers via crossmembers. My 303 has the 4 1/4 hangers welded to a 2 x 2 which is welded to the I Beam. If I have crossmembers bracing the hangers, would that not put stress on the 2 x 2? I want to find out if the V Braces alone would not be best solution.

vivian
                      Last edited by Beachcamper; 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian,

Since we see few center hanger failures, I would agree the V Clip would be the more important reinforcement. Especially on heavier rigs with longer hangers and also if disc brakes have been added IMO. Since both axles terminate at the center hanger, the crossmember adds additional support to actually reduce stress to the 2x2 member. This is due to the crossmember reducing the ability of the center hangers to rotate or bend laterally. It would be interesting to get an opinion from an engineer at Lippert on this.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                          Vivian,

Since we see few center hanger failures, I would agree the V Clip would be the more important reinforcement. Especially on heavier rigs with longer hangers and also if disc brakes have been added IMO. Since both axles terminate at the center hanger, the crossmember adds additional support to actually reduce stress to the 2x2 member. This is due to the crossmember reducing the ability of the center hangers to rotate or bend laterally. It would be interesting to get an opinion from an engineer at Lippert on this.

Jim
                          Jim, I have added disc brakes to mine and GVWR is 11,995 on the 303. They are not the heaviest units. My center hanger is fine my drivers side rear hanger failed. The hanger failed due to a crack it had developed on the shoulder. Stopping power of disc brake or defective hanger?
                          Last edited by Beachcamper; 12-05-2019, 06:57 AM.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

I have exactly the same set-up as Beachcamper on a 2015 303RLS with over 25,000 towing miles. Including the disc brakes and the broken right rear spring hanger.

I agree with Jim Guest that stronger trailer brakes put more load into the trailer frame through the rear spring hangers. We have examined and discussed the LCI video that shows the front axle tire lifting off the ground during heavy braking because of the interaction through the equalizer link between the springs.

However . . . the hanger break experienced by Beachcamper, myself and others is a fatigue break in the "heat affected zone" beside the weld between hanger and frame rail. This is (in my opinion) caused by flexing the hanger bracket side-to-side during regular travel. This is also visible at the start of the LCI video referenced above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5iRVPwYZg Hanger damage due to braking loads would have to be tearing or deformation of the hangers in the fore-aft direction. There is no indication of this.

Most (all?) reported hanger failures have been on the "long" hangers as described by Beachcamper. This configuration allows the suspension to have more side-to-side leverage on the hanger. The "V" braces inside the hanger and the cross bracing to the hanger on the opposite side will both limit the side-to-side flex in the hanger. I have had the V braces installed, but since my earlier build LCI suspension has the Correct Track alignment system (The yellow octagon plates on both sides of the hanger) installation of a cross trailer brace between the rear (or front) hangers gets complicated. I could install a cross brace between the centre hangers . . . and I am considering this.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,

Agree on the longer hangers suffering from both longitudinal as well as lateral stresses. But the V clip will primarily support the hanger in the longitudinal direction with less additional support in the lateral direction. Lippert knew what they were doing when they came up with this solution since I believe they are aware of the axle rise issue on heavy braking. For the longer correct trac hangers and especially the add on correct trac system...…. its never a good idea to lengthen the hangers since the moment on them will increase with additional length. Lippert's addition of the V clips on the rear hangers and not automatically adding in the cross member on the rear hangers supports the fact that the issue is primarily in the fore aft direction. The weakest area of the hanger is in the heat affected zone where beachcampers failure may have resulted from a poor weld but had the V clips been installed Its unlikely the failure would have occurred.

With the video I took of my Imagine under simulated sway, it was evident the only hangers ( I have the short hangers) that were in bending were the center hangers, so I installed the x factor bracket. Folks will need to make their own decision in how to move forward based on all the information that is available.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X