Tire PSI on a XLS 22MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire PSI on a XLS 22MLE

The tires on my Grand Design are Westlake 205/75r14 with a Max 65PSI cold.
    I had the RV store install a linc TPMS but They didn’t tell me the ranges of PSI or temperature that will make the system alert me. I am not clear on the running ranges for tires.
    Here is my difficulty:
    1. if the cold psi max is 65 and I set it to this psi then when running, the temp and pressure will increase. So I don’t know what the upper or lower acceptable psi and temperatures can be before I or the linc will make me concerned.
    2. if 65 psi is max cold then should I be less than max? If so how much less? What if it is 2psi over max then the cold max is the cold max so I assume this is unacceptable.
    3. I guess I don’t understand how to determine Hot ranges because that’s what I’m seeing or monitoring on the road so only knowing cold max seem only part of the need and really not the important part since my RV is very safe sitting still and the important part seems the more need for safety while running and hot.

I have read/hear video all over the place so confused.

Cans anyone point me to documentation or authentic information on running ranges?

I use a TST system and the minimum is set 5% under 65 and the max is 20-25% (can't remember at the moment) which equates to 78 or 82. I think it is the lesser on the top end. These were given to me by the owner of the TST company. I start the monitor a little before I plan to leave and if I'm within 5 PSI on the low side I will leave it alone since I know it will rise. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow and mine are currently at 61 PSI at 5:15 AM. I know this will rise as the outside temperature rises. I keep a close eye as we drive mostly for abrupt changes to any of the pressures or temperatures.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Comment

If it were me. I would set it at 60psi min, 75psi max. Then on the next trip, see how high the pressures normally go during the day at highway speed. My 80psi tires would end up close to 90psi if I remember right. So my high pressure is set a little above that.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

miketolbert -- not authoritative, but what I do is look at the four tire pressures (while towing) to look for a significant difference. ("Significant" means one is very different from the others. Remember that tires on the sun side of the trailer can be at a higher PSI than the shade side--so a small difference from side to side is not unusual.)

FYI I've never come across a problem over the 15K+ miles I've towed my camper due to a high pressure or temperature situation. (Thankfully haven't had a flat or lost pressure, either, but that day will come eventually.)

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We should not assume a low cold pressure setting will be ok once the tires heat up over the road to meet the recommended cold pressure setting. The cold pressure should be used where the operating pressure will always be above this number.

This can vary based on tire capacity and the load being applied but I use 5 psi below the cold pressure and 15 psi above for my alarm settings.

Jim

Comment

I have a similar question after our first trip in our 2022 22MLE using the Tire Minder i10 TPMS...

We received a HIGH-PRESSSURE alert for a few of the tires at 78 PSI. They were 65-66 PSI at the start of the trip and it was a hot day at 37C so we slowed down a bit. After getting home I did a bit more research and wonder if the 65 PSI recommendation from GD is correct. Assuming a 6,995 lbs GVWR less 650 lbs hitch weight and distributed equally across four Goodyear Endurance ST 205/75 R14 tires, this is about 1,600 lbs per wheel... which implies a cold inflation pressure of 45 PSI.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

Comment

turkington

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

The error in your calculation is assuming that the trailer weight is distributed evenly across all four tires. This is seldom the case. I have also experienced an occasional high pressure alert on a hot day following a cold morning start. I would just stop, reduce tire pressure to within the sensor high limit and continue on. I think you would be best advised to stay with the cold set pressures on the label on the left front of your trailer.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I use the TST, TPMS. The installation manual recommends setting the low pressure alarm at 10% below cold tire pressure and the high pressure alarm 25% above cold tire pressure. They also recommend you set the cold "operating" pressure based on a tire load chart. I have Westlake tires and I do not have a load chart. My tires are rated at 80 psi cold. I generally make sure they are at 80 psi before a long trip. I do a lot of trips of 20 miles or less. On those, if my cold tire pressure is 78 psi or more, I leave them alone. If they drop below 78 psi cold, I add a little to bring them up to 80 psi. As for my alarm points they are set for 70 psi low pressure alarm, and 100 psi high pressure alarm.

This is just what I do....

I hope this helps!

Bob
                Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

The TireMinder system does not have alarm pressure limits that you can set. These are based on the set point and are 15% below for low alarm and 20% above for high alarm.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X