Thoughts on self-adjusting brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on self-adjusting brakes

When replacing backing plates, is it worth it to “upgrade” to self-adjusting brakes? I’ve seen a few people have problems with them, but people have problems with manually adjusted brakes as well.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

If you do not mind crawling under and adjusting them yourself I would go with the manual. I check mine a few times a year even though they are self adjusting. I have heard of a few that the adjuster stuck and the brakes kept adjusting out and ruined the shoes and drums, not a lot of people though. We have not had any issues as of yet with the self adjusting, personal preference with this I would guess.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      When replacing backing plates, is it worth it to “upgrade” to self-adjusting brakes? I’ve seen a few people have problems with them, but people have problems with manually adjusted brakes as well.
      Personally, I think it comes down to what type of mechanically inclined person you are. I’ve had both type; my latest came with the self adjustment type and I like it because I can push brake inspection to the annual inspection list. That does not mean I don’t peak through the inspection plate or not test the brakes, it does reduce one less thing for that ready set go moment.
      Retired Tanker Yanker
      2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
      My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        If you do not mind crawling under and adjusting them yourself I would go with the manual. I check mine a few times a year even though they are self adjusting. I have heard of a few that the adjuster stuck and the brakes kept adjusting out and ruined the shoes and drums, not a lot of people though. We have not had any issues as of yet with the self adjusting, personal preference with this I would guess.

Brian
        Tends to be my thought as well, but replacement time is when you’d want to do it obviously.

We just got home from Wisconsin, and at a rest area near Bloomington, Illinois I found a cool hub with my infrared thermometer. Magnet is getting power, so I’ll be pulling the drum to see what’s going on as soon as the boss is done inside and I can put the slides in. Want to be prepared if it’s brake time.

John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          I am glad I don't have them. I was a brake mechanic in a prior life when drum brakes were the norm, and have seen too many problems with them. I carry a brake spoon with me and adjust them every 3000 to 4000 miles. I can do it anywhere, at any campground I happen to be at.
          Mike and (RIP Karen)
          2021 2600RB
          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

How does one tell if they are self-adjusting without taking the hub/drum off?
            Ottertail, Minnesota
            2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
            2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post
              If you know what to look for inside the access holes. If you have them, there will be a spring loaded metal plate that rests against the star wheel.
              Mike and (RIP Karen)
              2021 2600RB
              2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post
                If you contact the axle manufacturer (LCI or Dexter) with the info from the label on the centre rear of the axle tube, they will be able to tell you if your axles were built with self adjusting brakes.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks AZMike and Cate&Rob for the tips. I'll have a peek in there. We finally took delivery of our TT last week, and once home, I did adjust the brakes. All four were in need of about 6 to 10 movements of the adjuster wheel.

I recall from my work on old drum brake vehicles that the adjuster lever also made it slightly harder to loosen than to tighten, not sure if these are this way or not.
                  Last edited by AlexPeterson; 04-19-2022, 06:22 AM. Reason: added last sentence
                  Ottertail, Minnesota
                  2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                  2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Although trailer brake self adjusters function in a similar manner to those on cars or trucks, there is a significant difference. Car/truck adjusters usually move the star wheel when the tires are turning in reverse. Trailer adjusters move the star wheel when the tires are turning in the forward direction. (Which makes them more prone to over tightening . . . in my opinion).

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Manual as well as auto adjust brakes have a spring to retain the adjuster star wheel position. This spring contact is what keeps the adjustment in place so adjusting back due to how the spoon contacts the star wheel will require a little more inward force to be able to rotate the adjuster.

A mechanical brake system will be more reliable if the person that is doing the adjusting sets the clearance properly. The rare issue with auto adjusting brakes is when they are on the edge of moving to the next position and variation in temperature can create a condition that is a bit tight between hot and cold conditions.

I would buy the auto adjust brakes and monitor temperature at stops, and with a tire monitoring system.

Jim

Comment

I have had both and although I like the idea of self adjusting I am also in the camp of simplicity. Fewer moving parts means fewer things to break or fail. I dont mind doing the adjustments manually. If my 337RLS hadnt come with self adjusters I doubt I would have paid extra for them. But thats just me.
                        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I remember back a few moons ago and having to release tension on auto self adjusters on automotive drum brakes. Several times I had to use a small screwdriver to push the auto adjuster lever back so the brake spoon (that what I know the tool as) could release the tension.

I am glad disk brakes have become so common and cheap. I to this day still hate dealing with the springs inside a set of drum brakes.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X