Surprised there is a Westlake Spare Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprised there is a Westlake Spare Tire

Today I pulled out my spare tire to mount it to a hitch mount bracket. I had decided I no longer wanted the spare in the underbelly position. The surprise? GD saw fit to unload a Westlake as my spare. The tires on the ground are Goodyear Endurance. The Westlake is one year older than the GYs. My trailer is a 2021 model built the end of 2020. The GYs are 2020 build.
    Should I keep the Westlake as a spare or replace it with GY Endurance? What do you all think? My decision-making is clouded by the surprise, disappointment in GD of the discovery.
    Last edited by howson; 04-19-2022, 06:05 PM. Reason: Changed title to match content (hope you're OK with that, TedS.) -Howard
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Unfortunately GD has been doing this for quite some time, especially since the Covid outbreak when supply was cut thin. I would use the Westlake as the spare and not worry about it, when I switched to GY's I only got 4 and kept the Westlake spare.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
      Today I pulled out my spare tire to mount it to a hitch mount bracket. I had decided I no longer wanted the spare in the underbelly position. The surprise? GD saw fit to unload a Westlake as my spare. The tires on the ground are Goodyear Endurance. The Westlake is one year older than the GYs. My trailer is a 2021 model built the end of 2020. The GYs are 2020 build.
      Should I keep the Westlake as a spare or replace it with GY Endurance? What do you all think? My decision-making is clouded by the surprise, disappointment in GD of the discovery.
      Brian has the more economic solution. Your other option is get a 5th Goodyear and rotate it in when you rotate your tires. But that is extra cost and honestly I am not sure of the benefit. It's something I used to do with my old 5th wheel and what my dad did .
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Assuming your spare is on a steel wheel, you would not likely include it in your tire rotation. A spare tire and rim often do not match the road tires. Consider the “temporary use” space saver spare on most passenger vehicles. I think Grand Design has done the best they could with spreading limited supply Goodyear road tires as far as possible.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Right, the spare is a steel wheel not a matching alloy.

I guess GD gets a pass. I'll keep the Westlake as the spare since I have high confidence in the Goodyears. I've been bit before with a China bomb throwing its tread resulting in lots of damage. Westlake seems to have a better reputation than the TowMax. Just disappointed in GD disposing of a tire this way.

Thanks for your opinions.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I did the same as Country Campers (post 2). There were many that questioned my decision at the time, but that tire was only meant to serve as a temporary spare to get me to a safe place where new tires could be purchased and installed. When the Endurances had to be replaced (alignment issue) I kept the best two GY tires (that are now under the camper) when I switched to Sailun.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I put Sailuns on after the TowMax failure. Those Sailuns are stout, heavy tires.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I vote to replace it with the GYE.

Too many picks of tread shedding while being fully inflated for me to keep it. I sold my Westlakes after 2K miles and have a GYE spare as well.

Not uncommon to have a different spare tire maker.

Jim

Comment

FWIW . . . Goodyear Endurance tires are virtually impossible to find in the aftermarket. All production is going to RV manufacturers. Even at 4 per trailer with some other brand for the spare.

I chose Maxxis for my 3rd set of tires on this trailer. Based on excellent results with Maxxis for set 2. But . . . then again . . . my original Westlakes looked perfect when I replaced them. Each time I replace trailer tires at 3 to 4 years . . . my “tire guy” says “why are you doing this?” I sell the removed tires for half of what the replacements cost me.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Unfortunately trailer tires are like toilet paper. Brand to brand you get opposite ends of the spectrum for durability, wear, and all out life expectancy. Even within a brand you get extreme variations.

NTB did a good job of getting the GYE for my previous 5er when it shucked the 2nd tire on me and I bit the bullet and bought 4 new ones. Sailuns are supposed to be great tires, but I think they have limitations on rim sizes. Note just checked the gosailun.com website (catalogue http://www.gosailun.com/Content/cata...ck-Catalog.pdf) and found 235/80R16 and 235/85R16 as the only 2 non commercial rim tires for trailers. S637 is the model number.w
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

They also do it with the larger 17.5" wheels on the Momentum. Have the Coopers on the main, and was surprised when I looked at the spare, and found it was a Westlake (17.5").
                      2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                      2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Sailun must have stopped producing the 15" tire they had a few years ago.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                        X