Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I always been wrong about contaminated brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I always been wrong about contaminated brakes?

Changing out a brake assembly and servicing bearings. I went to the LCI manual to see where they recommend lubricating the brake mechanism, and stumbled across something I have never heard before:

”If grease is present on the brake pads, magnet or the braking surface of the hub, the hub and brake assembly MUST be replaced.”

I’ve been repairing drum brakes for 45 years and have never once replaced a drum (and LCI clearly is referring to the drum when they say hub) because of brake fluid, oil or grease contamination. Why would the entire brake assembly and drum need to be replaced?

I’ve wrestled stuck drums off of trucks and tractors that were heavy enough you couldn’t lift them without getting your fingers on the braking surface while pulling them, and I can’t imagine being able to stay clean during such an operation.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

I would think that they were referring to a large amount of grease. When they were having the "greased brakes" issue there were plenty with all of the grease from the bearings that found its way onto the pads and drum. This would be a concern as the grease would be baked into the drums. When I did my bearing service I did get grease prints on the drum but did not worry about it, wiped it off clean and move on.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I always de-greased any brake hardware I found with oil/grease on it. Brake shoes/pads are somewhat porous, so it isn't practical to de-grease them. I suspect they are worried about liability due to fire.
      Ottertail, Minnesota
      2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
      2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Right rear.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	82903 Click image for larger version

Name:	RR.note waves of grease.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	82904 My 337 had a significant amount of grease on the brakes from overzealous use of the EZ lube. Dexter warrantied all 4 brake assemblies and replaced one of the hubs because it was literally caked with grease.
        This was the case on my last 3 trailers but none were quite this bad. The previous 2 I cleaned with Brakleen and went on with my life.
        The Dexter folks felt that since the grease contamination was so significant and had been like that for at least a couple of thousand miles that the hub would have actually soaked some of the grease. Not sure I agree completely but it was their money. Might have been a liability issue as well.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I would never replace the hub for that reason. Easily cleaned. Shoes? sure if they are more than just a couple greasy finger prints contaminated
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post
            I always de-greased any brake hardware I found with oil/grease on it. Brake shoes/pads are somewhat porous, so it isn't practical to de-grease them. I suspect they are worried about liability due to fire.
            Most likely they were concerned about the grease not being thoroughly cleaned from the hubs and how the parts tank solvent would be removed. Grease does not permeate into a drum or disk.

Jim

Comment

They probably replaced the drum to ensure that there was not a sealing issue. Should the seal area be mis machined it could leak grease.

More of that CYA large corporations do.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X