MORryde - Suspension Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORryde - Suspension Upgrade

After talking with the MORryde team extensively - and after talking to "Earl" who had just done the upgrade 2 days prior and said his rig was smoother and he could feed the difference....I decided it was time for a suspension upgrade. I had no plans to do this, but was expecting a suspension upgrade to cost me ALOT more money....got the parts on sale and they were just less expensive than I thought they would be.

I purchased the following:

(1) CRE3000 Bolt-On Upgrade - Allows 3" of Suspension Travel
    https://www.morryde.com/products/cre...system-triple/

Click image for larger version

Name:	CRE3000-scaled.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	83980

(1) Heavy-Duty Shackle Kit
    https://www.morryde.com/products/hea...y-shackle-kit/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet-Bolt-scaled.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	83981

The Shackle Kit has greaseable bolts, bronze bushings (instead of nylon) and is 1/2 thick steel vs. the 1/4 that comes with the rig.

I ended up deciding to hire these upgrades out as well as hand packing my bearings on the rig at the same time since the wheels would be off anyway.

I have towed only a few miles since the upgrade, but I think I can feel the difference (hoping that is not just optimism justifying my purchase) as well as it does feel a little smoother on bumps and just pulling the rig.

Parts = ~$288.85
    Install Labor to install both above kits AND hand pack my bearings on the rig = $489.64.
    Total = $778.49

MORryde has 2 other products for suspension upgrade including independent suspension, but for my size and weight they didn't recommend I do anything different. For you 5th wheel folks....Grand Design just started putting these on some of the new rigs....I think I saw on a brand new 2022 Momentum the CRE3000 above....but I think MORryde may recommend something different for the bigger rigs. Will try to follow up on this post in the future....I think my nylon bushings were in decent shape (going to get from the shop - they couldn't find when I picked up - asked them to keep my old parts for me). But, the example the sales guy had was all eaten up. The rig rides on that bushing....

If you have done this upgrade - I hope you will post and let me know if you noticed a difference and you thought it was worth it.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

I did the exact same upgrade in 2016 on my 297RSTS. I didn't feel any difference, but the parts are certainly more robust than the standard suspension components installed on some units. It's been 5-1/2 years since I upgraded. I'm about to remove and replace the old components with new ones. When I do so, I'll provide an analysis of the wear and tear that my components encountered.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I did the exact same upgrade in 2016 on my 297RSTS. I didn't feel any difference, but the parts are certainly more robust than the standard suspension components installed on some units. It's been 5-1/2 years since I upgraded. I'm about to remove and replace the old components with new ones. When I do so, I'll provide an analysis of the wear and tear that my components encountered.

Jim
      Are you going to replace with the same thing or are you looking to jump up a model?
      2020 Imagine 2400BH
      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Jim
        Look at the Dexter EZ flex as well in your considerations. IMO, a better design.
        Our 303 had the CRE3000 installed from the factory.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Are you going to replace with the same thing or are you looking to jump up a model?
          The CRE3000 worked very well for us. I'll stay with it.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Look at the Dexter EZ flex as well in your considerations. IMO, a better design.
            Our 303 had the CRE3000 installed from the factory.
            Difference being rubber horizontally instead of vertically? Why do you think it's a better design? (you won't hurt my feelings - I'm trying to learn here =)
            2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

The CRE3000 worked very well for us. I'll stay with it.

Jim
              Looking forward to your pics and analysis!

Before upgrade - I probably had close to 10k miles on the rig.
              2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

To me the CRE system looks a bit better as the pivot points are in line. This helps it work more like a slipper set of springs.

BTW I have a whole theory on why the std equalizer causes the front axle to skid. Lots of physics and geometry involved.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

bellis
                  I've had both systems, but, to be clear, I'm an electrician, not a suspension engineer. Personal observations of what I think is better.
                  Shackle pivot points are in line on both systems. The CRE allows some vertical movement of the equalizer that the EZFlex does not, but the EZflex system lets each half of the equalizer pivot independently-to a degree-limited by the rubber, giving your suspension more available independent movement. The CRE equalizer is a single piece of steel so movement in one half of the suspension immediately affects the other half.
                  To me, this makes the EZFlex a better suspension component. I had it for nine years on my previous trailer and still did not need replacing. I've had the CRE for a year and a half now - no issues. We'll see how long it lasts. Maybe it will last longer. I'm interested in Jim's evaluation after he replaces his 6 year old pieces. I have seen pics of the CRE3000 welds breaking..the ezflex is cast and machined..not welded.

There's actually a current thread here
                  https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...cre3000-cracks

I'm not trying to say the CRE3000 is a poor choice. I'm sure there are EZFlex failures out there as well. The differences in suspension capability are small. I think they are both good upgrades, just I think the EZFlex has a small edge in overall design.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 05-06-2022, 06:04 AM. Reason: add link
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    bellis
                    I have seen pics of the CRE3000 welds breaking..the ezflex is cast and machined..not welded.
                    That alone is interesting. I have always been told that the weld should be the strongest point....if the weld failed, it was a faulty weld.
                    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                    X