Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for Replacement Suspension Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Replacement Suspension Springs?

I'm in the process of replacing my 5-1/2 year old MorRyde suspension components and installing an X-Factor brace on the center hanger. While I have the suspension torn apart, I may as well replace the springs.

The axles are LCI 5,200# (2,600# Springs).

Does anyone have advice on on purchasing replacement springs? Should I stick with the Lippert springs, or are there more reliable solutions out there?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

TucsonJim I broke one of my Lippert 5200 pound springs in Denver last year. I found a truck shop that got me a replacement from Napa that looked to be much thicker than mine, but it had no markings on it and when I got home I tried to source more from my local Napa and they could not match it. I was leaning towards some replacements from eTrailer that were the same but had more leafs than mine did (thinner leafs but more of them) thinking it might hold up better. Ultimately I decided to have my axles upgraded to Dexter 6,000 pound at the rally as a part of my disc brake upgrade so not any more helpful than that unfortunately.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

And an add-on question. We're seriously contemplating a trip to Alaska in the summer of 2023. Would anyone recommend putting X-factor braces on all three spring hangers, or just the center?

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I'm in the process of replacing my 5-1/2 year old MorRyde suspension components and installing an X-Factor brace on the center hanger. While I have the suspension torn apart, I may as well replace the springs.

Does anyone have advice on on purchasing replacement springs? Should I stick with the Lippert springs, or are there more reliable solutions out there?

Thanks,

Jim
        Jim,

A spring shop who uses US produced spring steel and rolled thread U bolts with nuts made for U bolts would be the better option. Its personal preference on the X Factor bracket where the video I captured under my Imagine showed the highest lateral motion is in the center hangers, so that location is most important for the bracket. The rear should have V Clips IMO.

Jim

Comment

Sumo Springs? I've been happy with their rubber product I have on my truck.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Thanks,

Jim
            No advice on reliability....I would resist upping the spring rate too much and I would look at sumo springs or shocks.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I believe he is looking at replacing his leaf springs. Adding sumo springs would also be helpful since they can act as bump stops on the new springs.

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

Interesting that you and I are (yet again) following a similar path at the same time . . .
                I am getting ready to "overhaul" my suspension with new bushings & equalizer, addition of Sumo springs and of course maintenance of bearings and brakes. It also occurred to me that I might as well replace the springs. Many reference "US made" springs as a preferred alternative . . . but I have never been able to find a source for these.

Several years ago, Pat Wardell Gyrogearloose and I were sorting through the side-to-side weight imbalance on our Reflection 303s and both of us were sourcing different brand name springs. Regardless of the name on the box, the spring inside appeared to come from the same/similar offshore source. Pat created the attached chart, cross referencing the LCI PNs and the industry UNA specs. Dexter was not a supplier to GrandDesign at that time, so I don't know where their springs are sourced . . . this might be an option for better quality?

​​​​​​​I will be very interested if you or Guest Jim can come up with a North American source for springs.

​​​​​​​Rob
                Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Hi Jim,

Interesting that you and I are (yet again) following a similar path at the same time . . .
                  I am getting ready to "overhaul" my suspension with new bushings & equalizer, addition of Sumo springs and of course maintenance of bearings and brakes. It also occurred to me that I might as well replace the springs. Many reference "US made" springs as a preferred alternative . . . but I have never been able to find a source for these.

Several years ago, Pat Wardell Gyrogearloose and I were sorting through the side-to-side weight imbalance on our Reflection 303s and both of us were sourcing different brand name springs. Regardless of the name on the box, the spring inside appeared to come from the same/similar offshore source. Pat created the attached chart, cross referencing the LCI PNs and the industry UNA specs. Dexter was not a supplier to GrandDesign at that time, so I don't know where their springs are sourced . . . this might be an option for better quality?

I will be very interested if you or Guest Jim can come up with a North American source for springs.

​​​​​​​Rob
                  Rob,

The custom spring maker who performed a variety of specialized work for me long ago when I wrenched on Diesels is no longer in business. Carnegie Body in Cleveland.

However I just spoke with a representative from another custom spring shop who claims they will make a spring to our supplied blueprint and with US sourced steel. I will write their management to be certain this is a reality. Is there a way that you could obtain the prints for the springs used in the most popular GDRV models for starters?

Jim

Comment

Thanks,

Jim
                    TucsonJim - I'm not sure where in Tucson you live, but there is a custom spring shop on Grant (on the East side) that I have used for replacement parts for my truck. They will custom fabricate basically anything you need.
                    Mike and (RIP Karen)
                    2021 2600RB
                    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Cate&Rob, TucsonJim , Rob, Jim

I just spoke with the owner of a spring shop who custom makes springs from US and Canadian steel. No offshore steel.

I do not want to flood this fellow with requests at this time where he mentioned he would make up any spring we want with a print or drawing or a reference spring. I believe if Jim wants springs, it would be best to do a sample order and if it looks good, lets open the flood gates. Your thoughts?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

TucsonJim - I'm not sure where in Tucson you live, but there is a custom spring shop on Grant (on the East side) that I have used for replacement parts for my truck. They will custom fabricate basically anything you need.
                        Mike,

Can you get a commitment on their use of US or Canadian steel?

The more sources the better.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

I've dealt with them before when ordering a set of springs for my son's pop up. Arizona Spring Company at 249 E Grant. I'll take a drive by there in the next few weeks to see what they can do.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            I believe he is looking at replacing his leaf springs. Adding sumo springs would also be helpful since they can act as bump stops on the new springs.

Jim
                            Jim, I thought Sumo also made a leaf spring. Maybe I'm mistaken.
                            Bill & Cindy
                            2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                            SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

Jim, I thought Sumo also made a leaf spring. Maybe I'm mistaken.
                              Bill I did not know Sumo made leaf springs.

Jim
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2022, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X