Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for Replacement Suspension Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Around here, people just go to the local tractor/trailer shop. They service transports to boat trailers and everything in between. I wouldn't think picking up springs would be too difficult?
    I can find lots of sources for springs, but as noted in this thread, we'd like to find a source of springs with high quality steel. I sure don't want to be changing a broken spring along the highway in Yukon Territory this summer.

Jim.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      Going to Mongolia?
      LOL. I'll be representing GDRV at several rallies in the SW USA, and then going to Alaska and the National rally. It will be a very busy year.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I can find lots of sources for springs, but as noted in this thread, we'd like to find a source of springs with high quality steel. I sure don't want to be changing a broken spring along the highway in Yukon Territory this summer.

Jim.
        The Yukon is very nice part of Canada. Being a hunter....you will really appreciate the Moose in the area. Lots...and Big.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Jim.
          Jim
          Just so you know some of Dexter springs are being made in China. One of the shops I visited had Dexter stock, and it was clearly labeled China. Some were labeled USA Now Dexter bought Rockwell out and thier stock is USA made Cate&Rob Your chart can now be found on the Dexter site under Rockwell springs

Dexter catalog sources
          https://www.dexteraxle.com/Products/Sprung-Axles
          https://www.dexteraxle.com/Products/...rockwellsprung

I am trying to finalize my axle replacement and being sure the springs being USA made is an issue right now. I am also looking into the X brace as with the axles out it is an easy install. Moryde only makes it for the center hanger for my unit. The Sumo springs also greatly helped and I believe saved me from braking a spring on the trip https://www.superspringsinternationa...r-sumosprings/ 20% off currently This is the manufacturer too, not a reseller.

Hope this helps
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi Jim,

I will be following this thread. I would also like to find a source for quality trailer springs. When I was sorting through matching springs to load side-to-side on my Reflection 303, I obtained springs from three different sources. Without going into the names, all springs were made in China regardless of the name on the box.

Spring steel is only one part of the problem. Trailer spring eyes are usually out of round and often not aligned 90* to the centreline of the spring. Out of round or incomplete circle eyes will tear apart any bushing material. When I was sorting through actual spring strength, I made a fixture (for my hydraulic shop press) where I could measure load using a Sherline scale against deflection measured with a caliper. The spring eyes were not constrained so that they could move out as the spring was compressed. This is where I learned about crosswise alignment of the spring eyes. You can imagine how twisted everything gets when the bolt through this eye bushing is forced to fit the hanger.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	96127 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	96128 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	96129
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Yoda. I'm going to order the Sumo Springs today.

UPDATE:

Yoda I used Sumo Springs fitment guide which says the gap between the spring plate and the frame should be 5-5/16" to 6.-9/16". I'm only at 4-1/2". I contacted them and they said the gap was smaller than they recommend and that the Sumo Springs should not be installed on my trailer. I assume that since I have the short spring hangers, the gap is smaller than on some other trailers. Once In install new leaf springs, I'll remeasure and see where it sits. But I don't anticipate the new springs raising the trailer another 13/16".

If they do raise the trailer that much, I'll be happily surprised and order the Sumo Springs.

Cate&Rob - Is it possible to source springs with a higher arch height than originally came with the RV?

Jim
              Last edited by TucsonJim; 10-04-2022, 01:24 PM.
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Thanks Yoda. I'm going to order the Sumo Springs today.

Jim
                FYI
                I went with the heavier TSS-107-47​
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Is it possible to source springs with a higher arch height than originally came with the RV?
                  Jim
                  The "family" of springs that we use on our trailers seem to all have a free arch height of about 3" and a static loaded arch height of about 1 1/2" (if sized correctly). If the loaded arch height is less, the spring is overloaded. If the loaded arch height is more, the spring is too strong and although the trailer will sit higher, the ride will be rougher. A higher arch should be possible, but would likely be a custom spring.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The "family" of springs that we use on our trailers seem to all have a free arch height of about 3" and a static loaded arch height of about 1 1/2" (if sized correctly). If the loaded arch height is less, the spring is overloaded. If the loaded arch height is more, the spring is too strong and although the trailer will sit higher, the ride will be rougher. A higher arch should be possible, but would likely be a custom spring.

Rob
                    I have an email into these folks on that very subject as they appear to be able to build custom springs https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Keith

Comment

[QUOTE=Cate&Rob;n96142]

Rob

Thanks buddy. So I just did some measurements. From the frame to the center of the shackle bolt is 3". And from the frame to the top of the spring pack (loaded) is 4-3/4". So it looks like my springs are sitting loaded at 1-3/4". Just a little more than the 1-1/2" you mentioned. The thickness of the spring plate is 1/4" which puts me at the 4-1/2" that I measured in post #36. So the Sumo Springs will not work for my application. I'll just stick with the CRE3000 equalizers and the X-factor braces to keep things more robust.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

TucsonJim Hi Jim,

To measure loaded arch height, you need to start from a line across both spring eyes (not just the shackle end) . . . unless the hanger end is at exactly the same 3" from the frame as the shackle end. The best way to do this is to follow the attached process.

Rob

Measuring Arch Height 2.pdf
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Eaton springs in Detroit will make them but they either need a precise measurement or an example spring. They are sourced from US steel. I have been side tracked where it was the spring eye that I was hoping they could make better as in round.

It may be worth a try to call them.

Jim

Comment

So I took a drive today to a popular suspension shop here in Tucson called Arizona Spring. I sat down with the owner/manager and discussed replacing the springs on my RV. And I let him know that I'd be sharing the results on our technical forum. I brought a spare spring that I happened to have available for show and tell.

He was open and honest, and said that "every RV spring sold on units today is purchased by the big suspension companies such as Lippert and Dexter at the lowest possible price". He said "in the RV suspension business, every penny counts and goes against the bottom line. So there is no incentive to procure higher quality components."

Next, we discussed trying to find replacement springs that were of higher quality. He said that "for most of the RV applications, you can't find better springs. Most owners are as frugal as the suspension companies. They'll purchase a spring that is $2 less expensive vs. spending the money for a more costly spring. This drives the market and it's not financially viable for a manufacturer to tool up and make a spring that will cost a significant amount more than an OEM spring and only have a very small market. It's just not cost effective".

He went on to say that "Some spring manufacturers do have manufacturing facilities in multiple countries, including the USA. But even so, the raw steel is likely from China."

So unless someone has a source that we don't know about, if you purchase a spring for your RV, it's likely made from the lowest priced components and manufacturing processes.

While looking at the sample spring that I brought to the shop, he did have on tip to look for. Most of the springs we have are 25-1/4" from center of the eye to center of the eye. He said that owners should check the distance of the center of the spring bolts during their suspension inspections. He said if the spring eye distance is 26" or greater, the spring is starting to fatigue, and should be replaced. He recommended that owners consider replacing their springs every few years to avoid spring failure, even if the springs are showing significant fatigue yet.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Hi Jim,

Your latest update is informative, discouraging . . . and not surprising. Another way to monitor spring deterioration (more accurate than the 25 1/4 vs 26 check) is to monitor loaded arch height per the procedure described earlier. If loaded arch height is decreasing, the spring has exceeded elastic deformation and is failing. I am coming around to the perspective that springs should be changed on a regular basis.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                                I am coming around to the perspective that springs should be changed on a regular basis.
                                Time, mileage, or some combination of both?

I'd also be interested in knowing the gross weight of a trailer that has a spring failure. Not saying all spring failures are due to being overweight, but I suspect there are some failures that are premature due to an owner being unaware they are overweight.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                                X