No announcement yet.

Bearing opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott'n'Wendy I understand folks wanting to repack the bearings on a regular basis and I do so. I do however feel that there are times when things are better off left as is, particularly wheel bearings. With such low milage the bearings would surely have been just fine unless they had been submerged or the seals were leaking. I can't tell you how many times I have been the recipient of the old lesson of "if it ain't broke don't fix it! I agree though that for the cost of a bearing set it would be best to replace that bearing with new and keep that one as a spare.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      Perfect. If you can't catch a nail on anything and there's no obvious defects you're good to go. Toss the dinged one in the trash and go from there you should be fine.
      '20 Baby Grand 230RL
      '93 Ford F350, 4WD, Crew, long box, 7.5L, SRW
      Demco High Jacker 6076P-16k
      Demco custom rails 8552005-71

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
        Scott'n'Wendy I understand folks wanting to repack the bearings on a regular basis and I do so. I do however feel that there are times when things are better off left as is, particularly wheel bearings. With such low milage the bearings would surely have been just fine unless they had been submerged or the seals were leaking. I can't tell you how many times I have been the recipient of the old lesson of "if it ain't broke don't fix it! I agree though that for the cost of a bearing set it would be best to replace that bearing with new and keep that one as a spare.

Dave
        Oh, I was pretty mad at myself for that bit of klutziness, and I know what you mean about getting into a jackpot of your own making. But, with enough stories about questionable factory greasing, I wanted to lay eyes on all four sets of bearings/brakes. I've been doing bearings/seals etc for 25+ years...first time I dropped one..

Thanks everybody for the feedback/opinions..its appreciated.

Anybody know what grease the factory uses? It was bright red, almost luminescent, kinda transparent.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

I am not sure of the brand that is used from the factory. Plenty here have used the Lucas Oil Red & Tacky, which I use as well.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yep that's prolly R-n-T. Kinda meh for trailers. Not the best w/b grease.....

Best w/b/5th skid grease is Castrol Pyroplex ES 2. Super massive full synth killer can't fail extreme pressure extreme enviro HD truck grease:

Attached Files
            '20 Baby Grand 230RL
            '93 Ford F350, 4WD, Crew, long box, 7.5L, SRW
            Demco High Jacker 6076P-16k
            Demco custom rails 8552005-71

Comment

Working...
            X