ID:	84783 Click image for larger version

Name:	tire GY 4.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	84784 Click image for larger version

Name:	tire GY 5.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	84785 We are starting our 7th season camping with our Reflection. We have towed it almost 45,000 miles, and we are now on our third set of tires. The question has come up before about experiences with certain tires, so I thought I would share mine. The original Westlakes were replaced before 12,000 miles when one had a belt separate. I was very fortunate to discover it while adjusting the brakes after returning from a 2,400 mile trip. It would have blown in just a few more miles. I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance trailer tires, load range E.

I didn't rotate the tires, and discovered that left rear was cutting the inside of the tire. I replaced it with almost 27,000 miles on it (first photo). I noticed the right side tires were also cutting, one on the inside, and the other on the outside, but not as bad as the first one. So I have started rotating them from front to back when I repack the bearings. The other three tires now have about 33,000 miles on them, while I could probably have waited a few more thousand miles, I decided to go ahead and replace them now when I was repacking the bearings. Photos 2 and 3 are the right side tires, that were rotated once at about 27,000 miles. Photo 4 is the original Goodyear on the left side. It was in the front for 25,000 miles, and in the back for the last 8,000 miles. Photo 5 is the first replaced Goodyear, now with 6,000 miles.

I am very pleased with the Goodyear Endurance tires. I will rotate them on a regular basis now.
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Dave, IMHO you have axles that are out of spec for camber at least. If you are OKwith this and keep up with your rotation efforts life will be OK, but if you want to address this issue, seek out a heavy duty alignment shop with Hunter equipment to ascertain the alignment readings. Some will bend/correct axles. Replacement is a better course of action IMHO, and Hunter agrees.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

Originally posted by steve gravelle View Post
      Dave, IMHO you have axles that are out of spec for camber at least. If you are OKwith this and keep up with your rotation efforts life will be OK, but if you want to address this issue, seek out a heavy duty alignment shop with Hunter equipment to ascertain the alignment readings. Some will bend/correct axles. Replacement is a better course of action IMHO, and Hunter agrees.
      One of my original axles was seriously out and the tire scrubbed off in about 1000 miles. It was so bad, I suspected a misaligned spindle. So I bit the bullet and replaced the axle.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Trailer axle alignment is an “approximation” at best. Consider the 1/8” clearances between hanger and spring and the “slop” in every connection point. Watch the LCI video of how everything flexes about while travelling down the road. I can assure you that your truck looks nothing like this ! If you can even out tire wear simply by rotating the tires . . . that is a good plan.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Trailer axle alignment is an “approximation” at best. Consider the 1/8” clearances between hanger and spring and the “slop” in every connection point. Watch the LCI video of how everything flexes about while travelling down the road. I can assure you that your truck looks nothing like this ! If you can even out tire wear simply by rotating the tires . . . that is a good plan.

Rob
          Yes, this is what I am thinking. If it was cutting as bad as TucsonJim tires, I would replace the axle. But it looks like I can get well over 30,000 miles by rotating the tires. So that is my plan. Thanks for the comments.

Dave
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Dave, your cost/benefit analysis makes sense to me also.
            2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

Bobsrv -- moved your question to it's own thread. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...this-tire-wear
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

​ I own a 2017 Reflection 26RL. This past Sunday on I-80 near exit 89 a passerby flagged me indicating an issue with the trailer. I pulled over and went to the rear of the trailer. The right rear tire had blown at some point and the wheel spokes had ground down to 3” from the center hub. The wiring had wrapped around the axle along with the propane hose. The right front had a sidewall failure which may have lead to the rear failure. Getting to the point of this discussion check your tires frequently, before every trip even. The damage on my trailer is extensive. The galley slide is inoperable on the end near the door. The other end does a bit. Another problem needing resolved.

Comment

Cal Cal, the photos did not post correctly. When I post photos, I usually use the "upload attachments" feature.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                  X