TPMS Valve Stem Nut Found Loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPMS Valve Stem Nut Found Loose

During a "Departure-1 Day" check of the tire pressures the nut holding the valve stem in the wheel literally fell off it was so loose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	loose nut.JPG
Views:	785
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	84803

Searching the forum I found several threads on the topic ( 2020 2800BH Metal Valve Stems/Balancing tires and RV Tire Balancing) but not a specific torque value for the nut.

After some internet sleuthing I found a YouTube video entitled How To Install A Valve Mounted Tire Pressure Monitoring Stem that gave me the clue where to look: the presenter stated to look at the specs called out in the TPMS sensor's documentation.

The TPMS sensors used on the wheels are from Ford's aftermarket Trailer Camera and Tire Pressure Monitoring System {TPMS) Kit. (Side note--this kit only works with specifically configured Ford trucks. This kit was installed soon after purchasing the 315RLTS so it is not OEM from GD.) Searching through the Ford documentation and voila'--found the spec for the sensor's nut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	torque spec.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	84804

The new 1/4" drive click-type torque wrench purchased recently was used to ensure the nut was set at the right value. The other three nuts were checked and two of them turned between 1/4 and 1/2 rotation (so they were slightly loose). One was good.

So...one more thing to check when looking at your wheels and tires before departure. I probably won't put a torque wrench on them every time, but a "finger tight" test at minimum to ensure they aren't loose is now "on the list".

Howard

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson Thats interesting your sensors are screw on. Ford must have switched since my 2019, my sensors go inside the wheels. I had them installed when I replaced my tires, batteries are supposed to be good for 10 years. Definitely a good thing to check.

My bad, confused here, disregard my post.
    Last edited by ncitro; 05-11-2022, 09:48 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      howson Thats interesting your sensors are screw on. Ford must have switched since my 2019, my sensors go inside the wheels. I had them installed when I replaced my tires, batteries are supposed to be good for 10 years. Definitely a good thing to check.
      In case there's any confusion--the valve stem shown in the OP is on the RV's wheels, not the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

In case there's any confusion--the valve stem shown in the OP is on the RV's wheels, not the truck.
        I figured but good clarification.
        Last edited by ncitro; 05-11-2022, 09:48 AM.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I figured but good clarification. I was also talking about the RV wheels, on mine the Ford trailer TPMS sensors go inside the wheels just like a car TPMS sensor.
          Maybe I'm confused (nothing new!). The sensor, as shown in the original post, is inside the wheel. How is the sensor on the '19 version different? (Please post a pic!)

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Maybe I'm confused (nothing new!). The sensor, as shown in the original post, is inside the wheel. How is the sensor on the '19 version different? (Please post a pic!)
            Wow I win the confusion award today, you are right, those are inside the wheel and exactly what I have. Thats what I get for posting while doing my "real" job lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

Maybe you guys need your "sensors" recalibrated?

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                Maybe you guys need your "sensors" recalibrated?

Brian
                I thought thats what these RV's were supposed to do ? help us to "recalibrate"
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                X