Axle U-Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle U-Bolts

Just thought I'd suggest to people to check the torque on their axle u-bolts. On my previous 5th wheel I had to change the axles and was surprised how relatively loose the u-bolts were. A little bit of forum searching at the time showed that loose axle u-bolts were not uncommon. So I check mine whenever I do the bearings. This past week I checked the u-bolts on my 2021 303RLS. The front axle was fine, the rear needed tightening. So I think yearly is probably a good idea.
    FYI Dexter 5200# axles.
    Recommended 9/16 ubolt torque range 65-90 ft/lbs in the Dexter manual.
    Recommended 1/2 ubolt torque range 45-70 ft/lbs in the Dexter manual.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 05-15-2022, 02:09 PM. Reason: Add 1/2" ubolt torque values
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Pg 67 of the manual has U-bolt torque values. https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf
    I had previously torqued the U-bolts during my brake replacement/first axle service last summer. While greasing the hangers on my 337RLS this week I decided to double check them. I found at least 13 of the 16 nuts to need more torque, a couple as much as one full turn. I was surprised that they would need to be retorqued after my previous service ? Keep in mind that these are fine thread 1/2-20 nuts.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

SO, this morning I grab the calipers, crawl under the camper with them and torque wrench to check the bolts.

I measured both the bolt and the threads. Neither measured 7/16" or 1/2". Bolt measured 0.450 and the threads major diameter 0.475. I erred on the side of caution and picked 60 ft*lb for the flanged nuts.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I think you have some "hybrid" U-bolts

Mine was easy, they have the flange nuts and looked to be 1/2"
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

My 2017 Imagine with 3500lb 3" Lippert axles uses 9/16 U bolts with a torque of 60 lb-ft. Not listed in most literature.

Jim

Comment

Our Canadian Brethren will like this, 0.475" = 12mm.....
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X